Why employees leave organisations?

NGULI

JF-Expert Member
Mar 31, 2008
WHY EMPLOYEES LEAVE ORGANISATIONS ?
-Azim Premji, CEO- Wipro

Every company faces the problem of people leaving the company for better pay or profile.

Early this year, Mark, a senior software designer, got an offer from a prestigious international firm to work in its operations developing specialized software. He was thrilled by the offer.

He had heard a lot about the CEO. The salary was great. The company had all the right systems in place employee-friendly human resources (HR) policies, a spanking new office,and the very best technology,even a canteen that served superb food.

Twice Mark was sent abroad for training. "My learning curve is the sharpest it's ever been," he said soon after he joined.

Last week, less than eight months after he joined, Mark walked out of the job.

Why did this talented employee leave ?

Arun quit for the same reason that drives many good people away.

The answer lies in one of the largest studies undertaken by the Gallup Organization. The study surveyed over a million employees and 80,000 managers and was published in a book called "First Break All The Rules". It came up with this surprising finding: If you're losing good people, look to their manager ....manageris the reason people stay and thrive in an organization. And he 's the reason why people leave. When people leave they take knowledge,experience and contacts with them, straight to the competition.

"People leave managers not companies ," write the authors Marcus Buckingham and Curt Coffman.

How do managers drive people away?

HR experts say that of all the abuses, employees find humiliation the most intolerable. The first time, an employee may not leave,but a thought has been planted. The second time, that thought gets strengthened. The third time, he looks for another job.

When people cannot retort openly in anger, they do so by passive aggression. By digging their heels in and slowing down. By doing only what they are told to do and no more. By omitting to give the boss crucial information. Dev says: "If you work for a jerk, you basically want to get him into trouble. You don 't have your heart and soul in the job."

Different managers can stress out employees in different ways - by being too controlling, too suspicious,too pushy, too critical, but they forget that workers are not fixed assets, they are free agents. When this goes on too long, an employee will quit - often over a trivial issue<o>

</o>
"The person who knows how will always have a job but the person who knows why will be his boss. Progress is not created by contented people"

Imenitokea sana mkuu,hata mimi nimepiga chini sana kazi na kubadilisha kama nguo.
Unajua tatizo ni nini?
Ngoja nikwambie, wakati wa kuomba kazi mara nyingi waajili wanaita kwamba kuna wini to wini,yaani akikuwini kwenye kunegotiati mshahara anakuhumiza, akija mwingine wakati mna qualification sawa akam wini, anampa mshahara mkubwa. Sasa unakuta ofisi ile ile watu wanauzoefu uleule au unawazidi kabisa uzoefu ila wanakuzidi mshahara, ukiuliza wanasema ni wini to wini,kwahiyo hata wewe unatafuta pa kutokea.Kingine ni kwamba ofisi nyingi hazina salary scale.Ni ku negotiate tu, lazima waajili wajifunze kuwa na salary scale bwana,nikimaanisha kwamba mtu wa IT mwenye uzoefu wa 5-10yrs na elimu hii namlipa kiasi gani, vile vile kwa accounts,engineers n.k, vinginevyo nikutimka kutafuta green pastures, ukilala utawasikilizia wenzako wako mbali kinoma.

Thanks chief for the post.

I strongly agree with you. Your explaination tends to focus on result-oriented enterprises(mostly private). I work with a public institution.. What irks me... one soars their immagination... puts the idea on the table for the management to assimilate... management takes 3 years to decide OR One works so hard for an organisation... and the manager get the credit & to make it worse ...he/she does not pass it down to his surbodinates who actually deserves the creadit.

FOR A PERSON WITH VALUES.. aren't such circumstances enough to make someone open themselves to offers?

Thanks chief for the post.

I strongly agree with you. Your explaination tends to focus on result-oriented enterprises(mostly private). I work with a public institution.. What irks me... one soars their immagination... puts the idea on the table for the management to assimilate... management takes 3 years to decide OR One works so hard for an organisation... and the manager get the credit & to make it worse ...he/she does not pass it down to his surbodinates who actually deserves the creadit.

FOR A PERSON WITH VALUES.. aren't such circumstances enough to make someone open themselves to offers?

I second to this one Mkuu.....I am at the moment on my way out to another organisation because of similar reasons. I have worked so hard in the present job but the credit goes to the manager who doesn't have as much experience as myself and also recognition ends there. But I guess leaving is probably going to be a blessing in disguise.

Tena ukute makampuni kama ya wahindi utalia. Wewe unafanya kazi kama nini alafu unapata mshahara wa ajabu wao wanatoa Ma******* wenzao huko kwao hawajui A wala B na wanapata mshahara mkubwa kuliko wewe. Unadhani utabaki?