Types of Poems

Roulette

JF-Expert Member
Dec 15, 2010
A Diamante is a seven-lined contrast poem set up in a diamond shape. The first line begins with a noun/subject, and second line contains two adjectives that describe the beginning noun. The third line contains three words ending in -ing relating to the noun/subject. The forth line contains two words that describe the noun/subject and two that describe the closing synonym/antonym. If using an antonym for the ending, this is where the shift should occur. In the fifth line are three more -ing words describing the ending antonym/synonym, and the sixth are two more adjectives describing the ending antonym/synonym. The last line ends with the first noun's antonym or synonym.To make it a bit simpler, here is an example (I made it for a friend I miss, so if you know more about Diamante, please correct me)

Friendship
Admiration, excitement
Supporting, caring, sharing
Complicity, discussions, differences ,frustration
withdrawing, hiding, Crying,
isolation, boredom
loneliness

A Diamante is a seven-lined contrast poem set up in a diamond shape. The first line begins with a noun/subject, and second line contains two adjectives that describe the beginning noun. The third line contains three words ending in -ing relating to the noun/subject. The forth line contains two words that describe the noun/subject and two that describe the closing synonym/antonym. If using an antonym for the ending, this is where the shift should occur. In the fifth line are three more -ing words describing the ending antonym/synonym, and the sixth are two more adjectives describing the ending antonym/synonym. The last line ends with the first noun's antonym or synonym.To make it a bit simpler, here is an example (I made it for a friend I miss, so if you know more about Diamante, please correct me)

Friendship
Admiration, excitement
isolation, boredom
loneliness

Well written.
My 2 cents!!

The diamante has the advantage of highlighting the contrast in a dynamic situation. you can see in my example how I went from excitement of having a friend to the sadness of losing one, which is even worse than when I did not have a friend at all. well, i don't know if it is captured here but the reader needs to see that. you can also focus on analogy of two words, like start with friendship and end with love, which will give the reader, in few word an idea of how the relation, or feeling evolved, and was concluded in an analogy between the first and the last word.
It would be interesting to write one starting with the word CCM and ending with the word that defines what they are today, highlighting their raise and shine and thereafter their decline.
Anyone who wants to try?

Another good poem that is original although not very common is the Eprigram.
Epigrams are short satirical poems ending with either a humorous retort or a stinging punchline. Used mainly as expressions of social criticism or political satire, the most common forms are written as a couplet: a pair of rhymed lines in the same meter. The term epigram is derived from the Greek word 'epigramma' meaning inscription. The epigram was cultivated in the late sixteenth and seventeenth centuries
Practioners of this poetic expression include John Dunne, Ben Jonson, William Blake and Robert Frost. Here is a model of epigram:

I wonder who is to blame,
between the wife and the mistress,
Coz the one carries the shame,
because the other is so careless.

Epigram are not always very grammatical, they should be easily understandable and not too philosophical. I have picked this example to make a bit a fool of myself and to poke all my friends who supported my position in the post "Jibu kwa The Boss (Nyumba ndogo)". If we can't get over it, we better laugh about it.

Triolets:A Triolet is a poetic form consisting of only 8 lines. Within a Triolet, the 1st, 4th, and 7th lines repeat, and the 2nd and 8th lines do as well. The rhyme scheme is simple: ABaAabAB, capital letters representing the repeated lines.Make writing a Triolet more challenging! Make each line 8 syllables in length (4 metrical feet), written in iambic tetrameter (the more common way), or try it in pentameter (English version) where each line only has 10 syllables(5 metrical feet):I could not make a triolet, here is an example from Shadow Poetry -- A World of Poetry at Your Fingertips
Example #1:
My Heart Residing in Thy Chest
In response to Shelly's, "The Indian Serenade".

For, break it shall and so it must
My heart residing in thy chest
When placed in care of lover's trust
Passion's ashes returned to dust
This lonely heart is laid to rest
My heart residing in thy chest

Copyright © 2003 Dan Tharp

I will try to make a triolet and post it in response to this post... not easy though, now that I think about it...

Friendship
Admiration, excitement
isolation, boredom
loneliness

Well written.
My 2 cents!!

this is very interesting...

Another good poem that is original although not very common is the Eprigram.
Epigrams are short satirical poems ending with either a humorous retort or a stinging punchline. Used mainly as expressions of social criticism or political satire, the most common forms are written as a couplet: a pair of rhymed lines in the same meter. The term epigram is derived from the Greek word 'epigramma' meaning inscription. The epigram was cultivated in the late sixteenth and seventeenth centuries
Practioners of this poetic expression include John Dunne, Ben Jonson, William Blake and Robert Frost. Here is a model of epigram:.

this is very interesting..lol

I wonder who is to blame,
between the wife and the mistress,
Coz the one carries the shame,
because the other is so careless.

the mistress is innocent lol

Epigram are not always very grammatical, they should be easily understandable and not too philosophical. I have picked this example to make a bit a fool of myself and to poke all my friends who supported my position in the post "Jibu kwa The Boss (Nyumba ndogo)". If we can't get over it, we better laugh about it.

this is very interesting...
the mistress is innocent lol
Yaani despite all the efforts I put to illustrate how an epigram looks like, all you have to say is that the mistress is innocent? aliekuloga amesha fariki, it can't be undone now...lol

Back
Top Bottom