The story of appreciation

nhassall

Dec 17, 2010
One young academically excellent person went to apply for amanagerial position in a big company.
He passed the firstinterview, the director did the last interview, made the last decision.
The directordiscovered from the CV that the youth's academic achievements were excellentall the way,
from the secondaryschool until the postgraduate research, never had a year when he did not score.
The director asked,"Did you obtain any scholarships in school?" the youth answered"none".
The director asked," Was it your father who paid for your school fees?" The youthanswered, "My father passed away when I was one year old, it was my motherwho paid for my school fees.
The director asked," Where did your mother work?" The youth answered, "My motherworked as clothes cleaner. The director requested the youth to show his hands.The youth showed a pair of hands that were smooth and perfect.
The director asked," Have you ever helped your mother wash the clothes before?" Theyouth answered, "Never, my mother always wanted me to study and read morebooks. Furthermore, my mother can wash clothes faster than me.
The director said,"I have a request. When you go back today, go and clean your mother'shands, and then see me tomorrow morning.*
The youth felt thathis chance of landing the job was high. When he went back, he happily requestedhis mother to let him clean her hands. His mother felt strange, happy but withmixed feelings, she showed her hands to the kid.
The youth cleaned hismother's hands slowly. His tear fell as he did that. It was the first time henoticed that his mother's hands were so wrinkled, and there were so manybruises in her hands. Some bruises were so painful that his mother shiveredwhen they were cleaned with water.
This was the firsttime the youth realized that it was this pair of hands that washed the clotheseveryday to enable him to pay the school fee. The bruises in the mother's handswere the price that the mother had to pay for his graduation, academicexcellence and his future.
After finishing thecleaning of his mother hands, the youth quietly washed all the remainingclothes for his mother.
That night, mother and son talked for a very long time.
Next morning, theyouth went to the director's office.
The Director noticedthe tears in the youth's eyes, asked: " Can you tell me what have you doneand learned yesterday in your house?"
The youth answered," I cleaned my mother's hand, and also finished cleaning all the remainingclothes'
The Director asked," please tell me your feelings."
The youth said,
Number 1, I know nowwhat is appreciation. Without my mother, there would not be the successful metoday.
Number 2, by workingtogether and helping my mother, only now I realize how difficult and tough itis to get something done. Number 3, I have come to appreciate the importanceand value of family relationship.
The director said," This is what I am looking for to be my manager.
I want to recruit aperson who can appreciate the help of others, a person who knows the sufferingsof
others to get thingsdone, and a person who would not put money as his only goal in life. You arehired.
Later on, this youngperson worked very hard, and received the respect of his subordinates.
Every employee workeddiligently and as a team. The company's performance improved tremendously.
A child, who has beenprotected and habitually given whatever he wanted, would develop"entitlement mentality" andwould always put himself first. He would be ignorant of his parent's efforts.When he starts work, he assumes that every person must listen to him, and whenhe becomes a manager, he would never know the sufferings of his employees andwould always blame others. For this kind of people, who may be goodacademically, may be successful for a while, but eventually would not feelsense of achievement. He will grumble and be full of hatred and fight for more.
If we are this kindof protective parents, are we really showing love or are we destroying the kidinstead?*

You can let your kid live in a big house, eat a good meal,learn piano, watch a big screen TV. But when you are cutting grass, please letthem experience it. After a meal, let them wash their plates and bowls togetherwith their brothers and sisters.
It is not because youdo not have money to hire a maid, but it is because you want to love them in aright way.
You want them tounderstand, no matter how rich their parents are, one day their hair will growgray,
same as the mother ofthat young person. The most important thing is your kid learns how toappreciate the effort and experience the difficulty and learns the ability towork with others to get things done