Tanzania Wont Sell its Stake in Airtel Subsidiary

nngu007

JF-Expert Member
Aug 2, 2010
By: Ian Mansfield | 30th Dec 2011

The Tanzanian government has said that it has no plans to sell its 40% stake in the local Airtel subsidiary - mainly due to the success of the mobile money service offered by the network.

India's Bharti Airtel holds the remaining 60% of the company, following its purchase from Zain. That transaction was delayed in Tanzania following a dispute over an alleged previous deal by Zain to sell its stake to the governent.

Last year, Bharti Airtel offered US$11 million to buy out the government's 40% stake in the company.

The Minister for Finance and Economic Affairs, Mustafa Mkulo, told The East African Business Week that the Government will not be off-loading its shares because of the profitability of the service.

Minister Mkulo added: "We have decided to continue with you until further notice because there is no risk of losing our tax payers money … We want to still maintaining our dividend."

I hope not Ministers and their big cats are planning to buy that government 40% shares

CCM are very tricky they can steal any time during the day time or night time or even during the time when there is nothing to steal

this action taken to our gorvenment still best that what we need. the gorvement may convice air tel india to reduce her stake even 10% from her 60% then tanzania will gain be 50% to 50%, i think this will be courage step to our nation

By: Ian Mansfield | 30th Dec 2011

The Tanzanian government has said that it has no plans to sell its 40% stake in the local Airtel subsidiary - mainly due to the success of the mobile money service offered by the network.

India's Bharti Airtel holds the remaining 60% of the company, following its purchase from Zain. That transaction was delayed in Tanzania following a dispute over an alleged previous deal by Zain to sell its stake to the governent.

Last year, Bharti Airtel offered
US$11 million to buy out the government's 40% stake in the company.

The Minister for Finance and Economic Affairs, Mustafa Mkulo, told The East African Business Week that the Government will not be off-loading its shares because of the profitability of the service.

Minister Mkulo added: "We have decided to continue with you until further notice because there is no risk of losing our tax payers money … We want to still maintaining our dividend."

Hapo kwenye bold and black, is this serious??? I have little knowledge as far as capital markets are concerned, but I guess this means Airtel Tanzania is worth US$ 27.5 million !!!!

Hebu tusaidiane wale wenye ujuzi wa hivi vitu...

Hapo kwenye bold and black, is this serious??? I have little knowledge as far as capital markets are concerned, but I guess this means Airtel Tanzania is worth US$ 27.5 million !!!!

Hebu tusaidiane wale wenye ujuzi wa hivi vitu...

I also got confused, Trying to compare Movenpick Hotel in Dar sold to Serena Lodge for US$40 million (A single Hotel)

I hope not Ministers and their big cats are planning to buy that government 40% shares

CCM are very tricky they can steal any time during the day time or night time or even during the time when there is nothing to steal
!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom