Tanzania snubs ‘unsafe’ alert

The Quonquerer

JF-Expert Member
May 14, 2009
By PIUS RUGONZIBWA, 4th August 2010 @ 12:00,

THE government has trashed claims that Tanzania is an unsafe place to visit and has rubbished allegations that the country's security is at stake due to ‘terrorist threats and high degree of crimes' as alleged by a foreign Embassy based in Kenya.

The Australian Embassy in Nairobi has issued a cautionary note to its citizens travelling and/or living in the country on the current state of security and the general national security ahead of the General Elections scheduled for October, 31, this year.

A statement posted on the country's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website warns that Tanzania is ‘unsafe' to stay in due to terrorist attack threats in both Tanzania Mainland and Zanzibar and that the country has high rate of crime.

The Minister for Home Affairs was not immediately available for comment on the website. But the Deputy Minister, Ambassador Sued Kagasheki, said the information aimed to tarnish the image of the country.

"We are not happy with such allegations and although we can't take full control of what is being posted on websites, we cannot as well take such allegations lightly. The information is quite unfair," he said.

The Australian Embassy website posted the first cautionary note in March, this year and has been reissuing it as a reminder under what it referred to as ‘the summary and under Safety and Security: Civil Unrest/Political Tension (election-related unrest).'

"We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Tanzania, including Zanzibar, because of the threat of terrorist attack and high levels of serious crime," reads part of the warning note.

The note further cautions that in planning their activities, Australians must consider the kind of places known to be terrorist targets which include commercial and public areas known to be frequently visited by foreigners such as hotels, clubs, restaurants, bars, schools, places of worship, airports, marketplaces, outdoor recreation events and tourist areas.

It directs that extra care should be taken as incidents of civil unrest have been reported with preparations underway for the presidential and Parliamentary elections in October 2010.

"Political tensions may increase in the run up to and during elections. You should avoid all public rallies and protests as they may turn violent."

Minister Kagasheki said the Ministry would ensure security of every citizen and foreigners would be taken care of as it has been the case in previous elections. He said it was unfortunate the website's caution did not reflect the real situation in the country.

The deputy minister said Tanzania has been praised for maintenance of peace to both indigenous and foreigners, adding that the caution was intended to sabotage the political and social stability of the country.

On the general security, the statement alleges that crime, including robbery and petty theft accompanied by violence or threats of violence is common in Tanzania, especially on public transport, in national parks and on beaches.

It alleges further that crime levels in the Business City of Dar es Salaam and "armed banditry at coastal resorts on mainland Tanzania and on Zanzibar and Pemba Islands are on increase". The statement also cautions on carjacking that ‘occurs throughout the country' and that driving at night over long distances should be avoided.

Travellers have also been targeted by thieves in isolated areas. Some criminals use fake police identification cards to request money for alleged offence. The Website also cautions on ‘incidents of armed banditry in national parks in Tanzania, including around Mount Kilimanjaro and the Serengeti National Park.

'You should take care of your personal security when visiting game parks and reserves.'

Minister Kagasheki said a special government statement will be issued upon seeing the alleged caution on the website but stressed that the country's security is stable and the government was on the maximum alert.

Nachukia sana foreign Manyang'au (not necessarily Kenyans) am,bao wanafurika kila siku, our current myopic leaders and corrupt officials..wanachangia sana kwa insecurity iliyopo. Ubalozi wanachosema kipo ingawa si kwa kiasi cha kutishia watu wote waiogope Tanzania. It's even worse in Kenya, where their Embassy is! That's why we should get rid of the current leadership! 'The rising of many Asians in the country under the so called investors corridor and their way of corrupting government officials is nowadays an open secret. They are now invading the political field to protect their business (if not their robbery) and the 'wananchi' are not happy!!! With campaign which are religious based and the 'cliques' of political allies with interest of gaining Tanzanian wealth... we can expect that the comment of the Australian Ambassador on the blog should not be taken for granted. Let's watch and save our nation from invaders. Start with clean politics and reduced corruption and assure the 'wananchi' their safety and their share in the national cake... we shall have less terror in our country' Those are reader's comments' but he is absolutely right!

[ That's why we should get rid of the current leadership! 'The rising of many Asians in the country under the so called investors corridor and their way of corrupting government officials is nowadays an open secret. They are now invading the political field to protect their business (if not their robbery) and the 'wananchi' are not happy!!! With campaign which are religious based and the 'cliques' of political allies with interest of gaining Tanzanian wealth... we can expect that the comment of the Australian Ambassador on the blog should not be taken for granted. Let's watch and save our nation from invaders. Start with clean politics and reduced corruption and assure the 'wananchi' their safety and their share in the national cake... we shall have less terror in our country' Those are reader's comments' but he is absolutely right![/QUOTE]

Bwana Mungu ameanza kutuonyesha njia, wana wake hatuna budi tuanze kuifuata.

Heko mkuu kanyabwoya, yaani haya majamaa ndo yanaharibu sana nchi zetu.

Nachukia sana foreign Manyang'au (not necessarily Kenyans) am,bao wanafurika kila siku, our current myopic leaders and corrupt officials..That's why we should get rid of the current leadership!

Will never happen, nyie ni one party state, I know you dont know but thats whats up.

We are not! But we don't have to copy from you! We need changes from within and it's happening!

Tanzanians need to seriously question and investigate their current and previous governments, this is my reason for saying this; your country has never been ruled by a kleptocrat dictator like Moi, no massive corruption (compared to Anglo leasing, goldenberg, triton saga, everything in the Kroll report) has taken place(BOT??) to the Kenyan extent, your Human rights record has been impressive to say the least, no civil strife of any form(Zenji??), good arable land, port, an abundance in minerals, a large population.... yet you guys stay here comparing your country/Nation with Kenya, a country that has had one of the worst corruption record in Africa, massive looting and human right abuse for more than 30 years (in both Moi's and Kenyatta's regime), perennial drought and famine, 5% arable land, and we (almost) experienced a civil war... You need to ask yourself hard questions about your goverment(s), is it that your media houses fail to properly investigate the rot in goverment or someone somewhere has been doing a pretty good job in muzzling the media houses and whistle blowers in your country, and ensuring that Tanzania remains a one party state (I know) in exchange for the peace.

Am politely asking you this questions, not necessarily for comparison or gloating purposes, but for your pondering, I know you dont need my lectures but years to come someone will have to answer your children or grandchildren (for your case) this questions. I am not sure if Tanzania is a democracy, your politics is still untested, Kenyans have suffered for years under different regimes, we are an enduring, hardworking lot and I think soon enough God will bless us, and we have taken the firs step by voting in this new constitution. God bless Kenya, God bless East Africa.

Tanzanians need to seriously question and investigate their current and previous governments, this is my reason for saying this; your country has never been ruled by a kleptocrat dictator like Moi, no massive corruption (compared to Anglo leasing, goldenberg, triton saga, everything in the Kroll report) has taken place(BOT??) to the Kenyan extent, your Human rights record has been impressive to say the least, no civil strife of any form(Zenji??), good arable land, port, an abundance in minerals, a large population.... yet you guys stay here comparing your country/Nation with Kenya, a country that has had one of the worst corruption record in Africa, massive looting and human right abuse for more than 30 years (in both Moi's and Kenyatta's regime), perennial drought and famine, 5% arable land, and we (almost) experienced a civil war... You need to ask yourself hard questions about your goverment(s), is it that your media houses fail to properly investigate the rot in goverment or someone somewhere has been doing a pretty good job in muzzling the media houses and whistle blowers in your country, and ensuring that Tanzania remains a one party state (I know) in exchange for the peace.

Am politely asking you this questions, not necessarily for comparison or gloating purposes, but for your pondering, I know you dont need my lectures but years to come someone will have to answer your children or grandchildren (for your case) this questions. I am not sure if Tanzania is a democracy, your politics is still untested, Kenyans have suffered for years under different regimes, we are an enduring, hardworking lot and I think soon enough God will bless us, and we have taken the firs step by voting in this new constitution. God bless Kenya, God bless East Africa.

Dr. Slaa is the answer! The real Doctor! Go Go Go Dr!!!!!!!!!!!!! Saa ya ukombozi ni sasa!!! This is the defining moment for Tanzania, it is not because we don't know, but because CCM buy poor voters in villages with their ill gotten wealth. I don't know if yo u are aware of the multi billion coorruptin scandals being unearthed day in day out! People were waiting for the real fighter, not fake ones in the name of oppostion. Now he has come!

Dr. Slaa is the answer! The real Doctor! Go Go Go Dr!!!!!!!!!!!!! Saa ya ukombozi ni sasa!!!

Hope you guys vote him in, change is as good as a rest. We need progressive, young, visionary leaders... Wish y'all the best

Back
Top Bottom