Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Tanzania has closed down the London offices of its diamond sorting firm and transferred to Dar!!!

Discussion in 'Biashara, Uchumi na Ujasiriamali' started by nngu007, Mar 24, 2011.

  1. nngu007

    nngu007 JF-Expert Member

    #1
    Mar 24, 2011
    Joined: Aug 2, 2010
    Messages: 15,874
    Likes Received: 28
    Trophy Points: 145
    Tanzania government moves diamond sorting office home from London

    Tanzania has closed down the London offices of its diamond sorting firm and transferred its operations to Dar es Salaam.

    March 23, 2010


    Tanzania has closed down the London offices of its diamond sorting firm and transferred its operations to Dar es Salaam.

    Commissioner of Minerals in the Ministry of Energy and Minerals Dr Peter Dalaly Kafumu said the closure followed Petra Diamonds’ acquisition of De Beers’s interest in the Williamson Diamond mine.

    Dr Kafumu said that since Petra sells diamonds abroad directly, there was no need for the Tanzania Diamond Sorting (Tansort) operation in London, according to the East African newspaper.

    Petra bought a 75 percent stake in Williamson Diamond Mine from De Beers in 2008 for $10 million and changed the firm’s name to Williamson Diamond Ltd. The Tanzanian government owns the other 25 percent.

    Tansort, established in 1966, assessed the price of diamonds exported to the United Kingdom from the Williamson Diamond mine, and collected five percent royalty on behalf of the government.
     
  2. H

    HM Hafif JF-Expert Member

    #2
    Mar 24, 2011
    Joined: Aug 16, 2009
    Messages: 1,359
    Likes Received: 1
    Trophy Points: 0
    Vipi mzee wetu Ali Maulid Nyamka je anarudi Dar.
     
Loading...