Tanzania and drug barons

M

MegaPyne

By Faustine Baraza
Tanzania and drug barons

I recall the issue of drug barons in Tanzania was covered extensively in the media in 2005. President Jakaya Kikwete who was coming into power during that time, was handed a list of major drug barons. In fact, he did acknowledge receiving the list.
Three years on, we have not heard anything related to this list.

As I was browsing the Daily News today, I came across an article by the Commissioner of drugs control Commission, saying "they would name the 100 major drugs dealers in order to discourage trafficking and consumption". This is very hilarious!

Many lives are being destroyed by the use of drugs and the reputation of the nation being tarnished. Recently, our national boxing team was locked up in Mauritius after being busted for trafficking drugs.

It is time we wake up and start addressing this problem before Tanzania descend into a nation of "vegetables". Drugs user are also more likely to contract Hepatitis B and HIV/AIDS.

It is time to do something. It is also time to ask ourselves if we are getting our money's worth with the anti drugs unit of the Police and the drug control commission.

Hivi Mhe. Rais ameshaulizwa tena kuhusu ile listi ya ma-Kingpin ya madawa ya kulevya aliyokabidhiwa miaka mitano iliyopita?

Back
Top Bottom