State of Urbanisation in East Africa.

Hello Janejo how are you doing?

I would like to thank you for taking your time to blindly join this discussion even though your statement leaves a lot to be desired and can only be sold to the birds.
That having been said you will be accommodated since as they say "listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant,for they too have their story."
I would like to point out a statement about Kibera's Population of a million i doubt those figures but just for arguments sake i will go with it.Still if Kibera had a million there would have to be another 10 million for us to beat your national slum dwelling people of over 11.6 million kenya's is a mere 7.9 million
finally i hope my use of absolute figures will make it simpler for you to understand.

You don't have to doubt the figures! It is a fact that more than a million people live in one of the most popular slum in the world called Kibera! For more info on this infamous slum visit: Kibera Slum Foundation

"Kibera is a slum area outside Nairobi, Kenya and is the same size as New York City's Central Park, about 1.5 square miles. At over 1 million people, the population density is 30 times that of New York City, and Kibera does not have multi-level housing. Most people living in Kibera have little or no access to basic neccessities, such as electricity, clean water, toilet facility and sewage disposal. The combination of poor nutrition and lack of sanitation accounts for many illnesses and deaths. Because of the lack of toilet facilities (1 for every 500-1000 people), two in three residents must use a "flying toilet" to defecate.

There are also over 50,000 AIDS orphans surviving in Kibera, often cared for by grandparents, over crowded orphanages, or completely unattended. For these and all children in Kibera, schooling is rare and dependant on the ebb and flow of family finances, trapping them in a cycle of poverty".

Source: Kibera Slum Foundation

Beside the statistics, any one interested can download google earth and try to view the urban areas in East Africa. You will conclude if the what is in the statistics is true or not.

Jamani nikaribisheni kwa makofi basi, najisikia burdanii kujiunga katika uwanda huu maridhawa ambao unaonyesha jinsi gani watanzania wamepevuka kimawazo ukilinganisha na baadhi ya majirani zetu.

Straight into biz, though. I don't dispute statistics za hellfire, the source doesn't matter much. Macho hayadanganywi. In terms of lack of Secure tenure status Dar ina weza kuwa na slums nyingi kuliko Rwanda au Kenya. Dar's slums are slums in that sense. It is intriguing kwamba hata waliojenga bondeni in areas like jangwani wana umeme, maji ya bomba. Na ndio maana the so called Dar slums are nothing compared to Kibera, mathare you name it. Those are slums in everysense of the term.

Jamani nikaribisheni kwa makofi basi, najisikia burdanii kujiunga katika uwanda huu maridhawa ambao unaonyesha jinsi gani watanzania wamepevuka kimawazo ukilinganisha na baadhi ya majirani zetu.

Straight into biz, though. I don't dispute statistics za hellfire, the source doesn't matter much. Macho hayadanganywi. In terms of lack of Secure tenure status Dar ina weza kuwa na slums nyingi kuliko Rwanda au Kenya. Dar's slums are slums in that sense. It is intriguing kwamba hata waliojenga bondeni in areas like jangwani wana umeme, maji ya bomba. Na ndio maana the so called Dar slums are nothing compared to Kibera, mathare you name it. Those are slums in everysense of the term.

Karibu LaVerite! Majirani zetu hupenda sana kujikweza. Wanadhani bado tunaishi enzi zile za miaka ya 70!

Contrary to What many of you have been preaching in this forum.

Some very interesting information on the issue of urbanization in the region has appeared.

Population living in urban areas high in
Kenya-34%
Tanzania-33%

Rwanda-16%
Uganda-15%

Urban Population Living in Slums
Uganda-93%
Tanzania-92%
Rwanda-88%
Kenya-71%

Annual growth rate of slums
Tanzania-6.16%
Kenya-5.88%
Uganda-5.32%
Rwanda-No Data

Data-Year 2000 report

Definition of A slum:A slum household is defined by the United Nations Human Settlement Programme (UN-HABITAT) as a group of individuals living under the same roof who lack one or more of the following conditions: “Secure tenure status, adequate access to improved water, adequate access to improved sanitation and other infrastructure, structural quality of housing and
sufficient living area.

Shida nyingine hapa, tena pengine ni kubwa kuliko, ni kuhama kwa watu.

Sharon Lechter ameandika:
"Today's problems are bigger than our government can handle. That may be why our politicians avoid discussing the real problems."

Te he he he he he, kumbe??? ....... Sijui nisemeje? Poleni, i can feel your pain, yaani leo ab titchaz and the crew wamekosa matusi and majibu? Te he he

Te he he he he he, kumbe??? ....... Sijui nisemeje? Poleni, i can feel your pain, yaani leo ab titchaz and the crew wamekosa matusi and majibu? Te he he

Aloo nanii, don't get it twisted.Hakuna mtu anakuja na matusi bali tunakuja
kuchangia mijadala na kuainisha hoja bayana.There is no pain being
exhibited by either party na kwa taarifa yako poverty abounds on both
sides of the border.In this situation I see a situation of "Nyani haoni
kundule"...or are you trying to say Kenya is better than Tz?

Meanwhile the greatest slum in Africa that abounds in filth and squall
is deep in the heart of Nairobi...Kibera. The situation has tried to be
alleviated by the UN and Habitat lakini siasa za ukabila has made sure
the project doesn't take off.

That in itself is a much bigger and pressing problem than people living in slums.

Last edited:
Noo..Dont tell me you are giving up after a few minutes...You can find the report its there just try a bit harder.Remember a lot is at stake here my friend if you don't find the report the intellectual ability of the Tanzanian Nation will be put into question because of you.I know you would not want the prestige, pride and the one thing that makes a nation go down, due to your in ability to solve a simple task like doing a search on SID which you say is in Nairobi.

Bua ha ha..

Tz intellectuality depends on your stupidity? LOL.. Wewe utakuwa mshoti sana ndio maana hata arguments zako zipo very skeptical.

Let me go ahead with people who can talk straight and spit sense.

Lazydog said:

Thanks for the source.

Kwa jinsi ninavyoiona hii report ya 2003, na specifically ktk page #78, Annex 3, Table 1(c), tunaona data hizi ni za mwaka 2001, which is roughly more than 8 years ago, and hence there is high expetancy of much changes, contemporarily speaking.

Kwa upande wa miji mikubwa hapa Tz kama Dar, Mwanza, Arusha, Dodoma na Mbeya, sikumbuki mara ya mwisho kwa mamlaka husika kufanya upimaji wa maeneno mapya kwa ajili ya kuboresha makazi, hasa ikizingatiwa kuwa takwimu za uhamiaji mijini zinaonesha uwiano mbovu baina ya uboreshaji makazi na ongezeko la idadi ya watu mijini.

******* sana nyie, mmejaa ubaguzi.

I guess reality is starting to sink in now after all the hullabaloo over the authenticity of some data
Now you know its not all that nice on your side after being brainwashed for a while.

Back
Top Bottom