post retirement/retrenchment survival tips

WomanOfSubstance

JF-Expert Member
May 30, 2008
Ever thought of what may happen tomorrow if you get laid off or if you retire? Mass retrenchment and forced retirement are now being employed as quick measures to reduce spending in companies, organisations and institutions.Consequences to those affected have not been given much attention although its known that families are being affected big time.

I came across this story which made me think a bit.

The Business Section of the St. Petersburg Times Newspaper asked readers for ideas on "How Would You Fix the Economy?" this was thought to be the BEST idea....

Patriotic retirement: There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them $1 million a piece severance with stipulations. 1) They leave their jobs. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.
2) They buy NEW American cars. Forty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed.
3) They either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed
I thought to myself "what a simplistic way to think"! Does it necessarily follow that when a person retires then automatically will go on a shopping spree - buying cars, buying houses, paying mortgages? No way! Getting retrenched is a very scarry experience as it makes you insecure.Whatever savings or retirement benefits one gets, they need to be spent cautiously as you never know when you may lend your next job.

In Tanzania people have really suffered after being laid off or after retirement.
One big mistake that people make, is to use the money that they get, to start building a house or to start a business.The money gets depleted very quickly before a house is completed or before a business is established.WHAT A WASTE OF MEAGER RESOURCES! But what else would have been the priority - you need shelter and source of income.
Can we share some experiences so that we dont end up making huge mistakes in the event that we lose jobs.

I read some where I think on Oprah,one should have savings to live on for eight months unemployed. under normal circumstances this is the minimum time required to search and find a new job experts recommed

I read some where I think on Oprah,one should have savings to live on for eight months unemployed. under normal circumstances this is the minimum time required to search and find a new job experts recommed

Many people in Tz cannot afford that luxury of having a saving to enable them surivive that long without an income.However if people are aware of that they may find a way to set aside something for the rainy days.Many live for today amd the culture of saving is almost non existant.

Savings ya aina yeyote inahitaji commitment ya hali ya juu. kwa nyumbani wengi wanaoweza hii commitment wanaendelea vizuri sana, likewise na sehmu nyingine duniani.........Robert Kiyosaki anakuambia...........kumbuka kuwa dollar moja ni sawa na mfanyakazi wako.....make sure anazalisha, limit your spending and make it in way pesa ikufanyie kazi wewe na sio wewe uifanyie kazi pesa........it works with me...and i hope it may work with anybody who is willing to follow the rules....

Savings ya aina yeyote inahitaji commitment ya hali ya juu. kwa nyumbani wengi wanaoweza hii commitment wanaendelea vizuri sana, likewise na sehmu nyingine duniani.........Robert Kiyosaki anakuambia...........kumbuka kuwa dollar moja ni sawa na mfanyakazi wako.....make sure anazalisha, limit your spending and make it in way pesa ikufanyie kazi wewe na sio wewe uifanyie kazi pesa........it works with me...and i hope it may work with anybody who is willing to follow the rules....

Ogah,
Hapo ndo panatushinda wengi.

Kwa wale waliobarikiwa kuuziwa nyumba ya serikali assuming wakati he is retiring amemaliza kulipa deni la nyumba. Baada ya hapo aipangishe kwa wenye dollars kama ni oysterbay halafu yeye ahamie uswazi ambako nyumba ya obay itampa mlo na ataweza kulipa kodi ya kupangisha nyumba mpya uswazi.

Back
Top Bottom