Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Possessive case

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Lugha' started by Aqua, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Aqua

Aqua JF-Expert Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Habari wadau,tujibrash kidogo mambo ya possessive case

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Possessive case[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A: The case endings for the possessive case.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1.’s is used when singular nouns and plural nouns not ending in s:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Eg. Tom’s book, the boy’s room, the man’s hat, Women’s work[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2.A simple apostrophe( ‘ ) is used with plural nouns ending in s:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]e.g. the girls’ school, the dogs’ kennel[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Classical names ending in s and also some less common English names add only apostrophe:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]e.g. Archimedes’ law, Hercules’ club, Keats’ poetry[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Compounds are generally treated as one word:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]e.g. My mother-in-law’s house[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Possessives of titles are formed as follows:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]George the First’s reign[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]B: Use of possessive case[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]a).[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Possession, when the possessor is a person or animal, is normally indicated by putting the possessor in the possessive case, not by using the preposition of:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The cat’s bowl not the bowl of the cat[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Jack’s books, my father’s farm[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]But when the possessor noun is immediately followed by a phrase or clause the of construction is used:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The boys rushed this way and that way, obeying the directions of a man with a whistle.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]‘Novels are a waste of time,’ was the opinion of my father, who had never read a novel in his life. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]b).[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Note that when the possessive case is used, the article before the person or thing possessed disappears.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]the[/FONT][FONT=&quot] horns of the bull=the bull’s horns[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]c).[/FONT][FONT=&quot]When the possession is a thing of is normally used:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]the walls of the town, the legs of the table, the branches of the tree[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]But with many well-known combinations it is usual to put the two nouns together using the first noun as a sort of adjective. This is often done to indicate the position of something:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Hall door, dining-room table (kuna meza nyingi ila tunaongelea iliyopo chumba cha kulia chakula i.e position )[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Street lamp(lamp found in the street)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]kitchen sink[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Similarly with names of towns and sometimes districts:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Dar es salaam transport.Liverpool cathedral, Mwanza branch(not Mwanza’s branch)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Or when there is a connexion with time:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Eg. Summer holidays(not Summer’s holidays), winter sport, November fogs, Sunday dinner[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Or to indicate the use of clothes,equipment,vehicles etc:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Golf clubs , tennis shoes,football ground, snow plough, shoe polish, coffee cup[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]And with kinds of stories:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Eg. Detective stories, crime stories, love stories, ghost stories[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]d).[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The possessive form is used with expressions of time such as :second, minute,hour,day,night,week,fortnight,month,year:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]a day’s work, today’s paper, a week’s holiday, two years’ pay[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The nouns money,shilling,half-crown, and pound can be used in the possessive case when they are followed by worth:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A shilling’s worth of parsley[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Five pounds’ worth of orchids[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] *********************[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Thanks[/FONT]

SHIEKA JF-Expert Member

Sep 25, 2012
    You are good at it.Very good!
  3. S

Saints Holy Member

Nov 4, 2012
    Thank you Aqua mama wawili i proud of you,for how your correcting me, i hope i shall do well after a short time.Don't get tired to help
  4. Leonard Robert

Leonard Robert JF-Expert Member

Mar 8, 2013
    Asante sana ndugu, endelea na moyo huo wa kupenda kuelimisha wengine