Mtwara developments: A different point of view and additional information

saidhorizons

Aug 10, 2009
Dear JF Comrades:

The Mtwara resources debate has taken a more politicized twist in my humble opinion. We probably need fewer politicians and more economic minds if we really want to make any positive contribution. When all is said and done, I hope cooler heads will prevail and the ongoing debate will tilt towards what “really” matters to the people of Tanzania and particularly residents of Mtwara region: their economic salvation.

We would be better served by first asking ourselves: what are the new challenges and opportunities emerging from the new Mtwara natural gas discoveries? In order to answer these questions, we need visionaries intellectual gravitas
willing to push the envelope, not activists and radicals who simply want to stir the pot by organizing political protests with the objective of furthering their own political agendas.

A colleague of mine who works at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) informed me of a recent seminar that was held at MIT that was co-sponsored by the MIT Energy Initiative and the Department of Urban Studies and Planning (DUSP ). The keynote speaker was that the Regional Commissioner of Mtwara Mr. Joseph Simbakalia. The focus of this seminar was the international energy exploration activities in the Mtwara corridor, the natural gas discoveries and the anticipated economic impact in the region. I have viewed the entire video at the MIT website and encourage you to do the same at:

MIT TechTV – Regional Economic & Development Planning in East Africa: Natural Gas

Say what you like about Mr. Simbakalia, but there is no denying that he has articulated quite brilliantly his vision for the Mtwara region! I honestly not sure how many RCs (or Ministers for that matter) can face such an audience and hit all the Mtwara hot buttons that have been the subject of discussion in JF almost all of last week! I also understand from my colleague at MIT that following Mr Simbakalia’s presentation, the MIT is now interested in becoming an active partner in the development of the Mtwara corridor both from the Energy and Urban planning & development perspective looking for example, at possible training opportunities MIT can offer to the locals.

In a region where thousands are suffocating under grinding poverty and are not sure where their next meal will come from, we need to spend more time exploring these bread and butter opportunities and less on scoring political points. Political activism may have its value, but I am afraid this is neither the time nor the place for political protests. We are wasting valuable time. We need to put our collective heads together so we can turn Mtwara into the nation’s next economic development engine. Protesting against the transportation of natural gas to the biggest consumer market in Tanzania, apart from the fact that it smacks of a disingenuous publicity stunt, is at best not a vision for development and at worst a recipe for slowing down development in the Mtwara region! Let's wake up!

Said Horizon

Said, did you ever expect Simbakalia to tell his audience that they do not have any plans to develop Mtwara region? If he was that much cultured why did he decline to address the protestors and ended calling them names instead? What makes you trust him, just because he told donnors something positive which infact would blindfold them to the effect that the government he was representing could move unquestioned with its unbalanced distribution of developmental opportunities? If I were to call him clever because of his presentation in this seminar, then I will call him negligent as a leader, who has to read and address situations accordingly. There is no waiting in this!

McJoe,
What ‘s wrong with the RC of Mtwara suggesting that the Mtwara protestors need to be educated on the government plans for the development of the Mtwara Corridor? I also happen to believe based on their behavior and complaints that they are either uniformed or misinformed. Whatever it is, they need to be "educated" and if they are willing and open-minded about being "educated" they would quickly find out the answer to one of their most burning questions: What's in it for them?

More tellingly however, they would have found out that the government is on their side and working to establish an LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) export terminal in Mtwara which goes hand-in-hand with the expansion of the Mtwara deep-water port so it can accommodate large ocean-going vessels to export LNG as well as processed iron ore from Liganga and Mchuchuma. Why would "educating" Mtwara residents on these development plans be considered such a grotesque and distasteful idea?

I imagine the people of Mtwara (like other normal humans) want rewarding and well-paying jobs, even though would hard presses to figure that out from the manner you chose to express what they really want. The rhetoric of the protesters is as self-defeating as it is self-delusional. Most of the opportunities for well-paying jobs for the locals will come from these mega projects that the government has launched. Obviously it won't happen overnight; patience is a virtue and the people have to be patient. To ensure most of the benefits accrue to the local communities, there must be a training component in the Mtwara corridor development strategy.

Particularly noteworthy is the fact that the natural gas and petrochemical industry is new to Tanzania and Tanzanians. It was reported the other day that the Energy Minister (Prof. Sospeter Muhongo – a true national hero – God bless him!) has already launched this training initiative and Mtwara residents are given top priority; in fact they are already the beneficiaries of the program. The strategy that Minister Muhongo and his team of advisors came up with to give top priority to Mtwara residents is right on the money if you want to be candid about it.

Obviously, when you factor the political angle into this equation, you will find some die-hard naysayers including some prominent MPs who apparently don't like the government's plan one iota and only God knows why because what the reasons I have heard so far reeks of political opportunism! I am honestly amazed and having difficulty understanding this destructively negative attitude of polarization and hate-mongering emanating from people who should know better.

Saidhorizons

Saidhorizons
I have watched this video, i would like to congratulate Joel simabakalia for somehow it has changed my attitude, i could assure myself that government is trying to do something but in hard time of pressure, also i have known that Mtwara residents are misinformed about the matter and they are overambitious and the government has to be blamed by that, may be people would have cooperated well with government secured if they had informed , now politician are scoring points because of the weakness by the government

Dear JF Comrades:

The Mtwara resources debate has taken a more politicized twist in my humble opinion. We probably need fewer politicians and more economic minds if we really want to make any positive contribution. When all is said and done, I hope cooler heads will prevail and the ongoing debate will tilt towards what “really” matters to the people of Tanzania and particularly residents of Mtwara region: their economic salvation.

We would be better served by first asking ourselves: what are the new challenges and opportunities emerging from the new Mtwara natural gas discoveries? In order to answer these questions, we need visionaries intellectual gravitas
willing to push the envelope, not activists and radicals who simply want to stir the pot by organizing political protests with the objective of furthering their own political agendas.

A colleague of mine who works at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) informed me of a recent seminar that was held at MIT that was co-sponsored by the MIT Energy Initiative and the Department of Urban Studies and Planning (DUSP ). The keynote speaker was that the Regional Commissioner of Mtwara Mr. Joseph Simbakalia. The focus of this seminar was the international energy exploration activities in the Mtwara corridor, the natural gas discoveries and the anticipated economic impact in the region. I have viewed the entire video at the MIT website and encourage you to do the same at:

MIT TechTV – Regional Economic & Development Planning in East Africa: Natural Gas

Say what you like about Mr. Simbakalia, but there is no denying that he has articulated quite brilliantly his vision for the Mtwara region! I honestly not sure how many RCs (or Ministers for that matter) can face such an audience and hit all the Mtwara hot buttons that have been the subject of discussion in JF almost all of last week! I also understand from my colleague at MIT that following Mr Simbakalia’s presentation, the MIT is now interested in becoming an active partner in the development of the Mtwara corridor both from the Energy and Urban planning & development perspective looking for example, at possible training opportunities MIT can offer to the locals.

In a region where thousands are suffocating under grinding poverty and are not sure where their next meal will come from, we need to spend more time exploring these bread and butter opportunities and less on scoring political points. Political activism may have its value, but I am afraid this is neither the time nor the place for political protests. We are wasting valuable time. We need to put our collective heads together so we can turn Mtwara into the nation’s next economic development engine. Protesting against the transportation of natural gas to the biggest consumer market in Tanzania, apart from the fact that it smacks of a disingenuous publicity stunt, is at best not a vision for development and at worst a recipe for slowing down development in the Mtwara region! Let's wake up!

Said Horizon

Reread your post said, its full of politics and still you want us to look at this issue from economical perspective!? why don't you give us economical benefits on why the gas should be transported to dar and be converted into electricity and not transporting electricity from mtwara to dar?
from my knowledge there is already gas in dar from songosongo which can be converted into domestic use if at all thats the case to transport gas from mtwara. investing on a new gas pipeline from mtwara to dar is what doesn't make sense while we can serve more on investing on construction of power plant near the source of gas harvesting station.
mr said please convince us using figures on what will be the benefits of transporting the gas from mtwara to dar and ofcourse other benefits that will be associated with it. and also convince us on the lose we gonna get if the government will build the power plant in mtwara which ofcourse will be connected to national grid. unless otherwise please stop discouraging the movement to better the lives of mtwarans!!!

Reread your post said, its full of politics and still you want us to look at this issue from economical perspective!? why don't you give us economical benefits on why the gas should be transported to dar and be converted into electricity and not transporting electricity from mtwara to dar?
from my knowledge there is already gas in dar from songosongo which can be converted into domestic use if at all thats the case to transport gas from mtwara. investing on a new gas pipeline from mtwara to dar is what doesn't make sense while we can serve more on investing on construction of power plant near the source of gas harvesting station.
mr said please convince us using figures on what will be the benefits of transporting the gas from mtwara to dar and ofcourse other benefits that will be associated with it. and also convince us on the lose we gonna get if the government will build the power plant in mtwara which ofcourse will be connected to national grid. unless otherwise please stop discouraging the movement to better the lives of mtwarans!!!

On another thread I presented these "facts" - the government has already implemented a gas to electricity project for the people of Mtwara & Lindi! http://www.wentworthresources.com/pd...%20Project.pdf.

Also: refer to this link: http://www.wentworthresources.com/pd...ual_Report.pdf

1. Refer to FIG 3. PROPOSED CONNECTION FROM MTWARA ENERGY PROJECT TO NATIONAL GRID Artumas is engaging the Government of Tanzania and the state electricity utility, TANESCO, on a fast tracking of this power project and high voltage connection to the National Grid. Discussions have commenced with large industrial customers that would support a significant share of this new electricity supply. (Page 16 (18) Artumas Group Inc. Annual Report 2006)
  2. Refer to page 20 & 21 (22 & 23 of copied document) clearly shows what you are advocating i.e building a plant in Mtwara to join to the national grid

Vilevile: Kwa muda wako mwenyewe hebu sikiliza na soma hii: BBC Swahili - Medianuai - Gesi Tanzania inafaidi nani? na peruzi hizi zifuatazo: http://www.mem.go.tz/wp-content/uplo...tober-2012.pdf na http://www.mipango.go.tz/documents/M...EO%20final.pdf na http://www.ecfa.or.jp/japanese/act-pf_jka/H21/JDI_tanzania/english.pdf.

Binafsi nashangaa kwa nini serikali haiweki mambo haya hadharani. Ingeyaweka hadharani wala kusingekuwa na malumbano haya ambayo hayamsaidii mtu yeyote bali yanasababisha tuanze kuitana majina na kutukanana ovyo ovyo!!!!

My two cents......

What the hell are u trying to convenience us that the MIT & white panelist are most important than our brothers the scholars at the UDSM Nkhumah hall.Why did that event ever be held there and not in Mtwara or UDSM for that matter. Do you want to convince us that MIT did not see Nigeria and other countries with abundant resources like Tanzania but are languishing in abject poverty like us?

On another thread I presented these "facts" - the government has already implemented a gas to electricity project for the people of Mtwara & Lindi! http://www.wentworthresources.com/pd...%20Project.pdf.

Also: refer to this link: http://www.wentworthresources.com/pd...ual_Report.pdf

1. Refer to FIG 3. PROPOSED CONNECTION FROM MTWARA ENERGY PROJECT TO NATIONAL GRID Artumas is engaging the Government of Tanzania and the state electricity utility, TANESCO, on a fast tracking of this power project and high voltage connection to the National Grid. Discussions have commenced with large industrial customers that would support a significant share of this new electricity supply. (Page 16 (18) Artumas Group Inc. Annual Report 2006)
  2. Refer to page 20 & 21 (22 & 23 of copied document) clearly shows what you are advocating i.e building a plant in Mtwara to join to the national grid

Vilevile: Kwa muda wako mwenyewe hebu sikiliza na soma hii: BBC Swahili - Medianuai - Gesi Tanzania inafaidi nani? na peruzi hizi zifuatazo: http://www.mem.go.tz/wp-content/uplo...tober-2012.pdf na http://www.mipango.go.tz/documents/M...EO%20final.pdf na http://www.ecfa.or.jp/japanese/act-pf_jka/H21/JDI_tanzania/english.pdf.

Binafsi nashangaa kwa nini serikali haiweki mambo haya hadharani. Ingeyaweka hadharani wala kusingekuwa na malumbano haya ambayo hayamsaidii mtu yeyote bali yanasababisha tuanze kuitana majina na kutukanana ovyo ovyo!!!!

My two cents......

Kuhusu taarifa yako kuhusu Mtwara na Lindi kuwa na umeme; Mimi nimefika na kufanya kazi Mtwara kabla na baada ya hiyo gesi kuanza kutumika kuzalisha umeme huo kidogo hapo Mtwara na Lindi. Wakazi wengi wa Mtwara ni maskini wa kutupa hawana uwezo wa kifedha wa kuunganisha huo umeme, hivyo katika maeneo mengi nyaya za umeme zinapita katika nyumba za nyasi ambazo wakazi wake hawana manufaa yoyote na huo umeme, hii ni pamoja na maeneo gesi hiyo inapozalishwa. Ndio maana wanamtwara wanadai vinu vya kuzalisha umeme vingejengwa Mtwara badala ya DSM kama ilivyofanyika kwa Kihansi, Mtera, Kidatu, Nyumba ya Mungu n.k ambapo kabla ya vinu vya kuzalisha umeme kujengwa katika maeneo hayo uchumi wa wakazi wa maeneo hayo ulikuwa uko chini mno kama ilivyo kwa Mtwara na vipato vyaoa viliinuliwa na miradi ya ujenzi wa vinu vya uzalishaji wa umeme.

Kwa hiyo kwa kifupi wanachodai wanamtwara ni manufaa yatokanayo na miradi ya ujenzi wa vinu vya kuzalisha umeme na kuwa wanadai kuwa gesi hiyo ni ya kwao. Ikiwa umeme wa Arumasa umekuwepo Lindi na Mtwara kwa kipindi hicho chote mbaona hali ya umaskini bado iko vile vile? For your information I have read somewhere that Artumas didi not survive the 2008 financial crisis, then the Governmnet should have taken alternative measures to ensure that electricty generation plants are built in Mtwara has planned and not transporting the raw gas to DSM.

Kwa maoni yangu upo mkakati wa makusudi wa kuwafukuza wanamtwara kutoka ardhi na mkoa wao baada ya gesi kugunduliwa huko ndio maana Serikali ikaachia shughuli za uchimbaji gesi kupandisha maisha kwa kiwango kikubwa mkoani Mtwara pasipo mikakati mbadala ya kuinua vipato vya wakazi wa mikoa ya Mtwara na Lindi. Katika Bunge lililopita nilimshangaa sana Mbunge mmoja wa CCM aliyejiita ni mtaalamu wa mambo ya nishatia aitwaye Mwijage alipotoa ushauri kuwa wakazi wa Mtwara watafundishwa kulima bustani kama njia kunufaika na gesi hiyo. Hii ni dharau kubwa sana.

Nilikuwa Mtwara mwaka jana huwezi kupata guest wala chumba cha kupangisha vyote vimechukuliwa na makampuni ya uchimbaji gesi. Bei za bidhaa zimepanda mno. kwa kifupi Serikali hii inataka wanamtwara wote wahame toka mkoa huo na badala yake nafasi zao zichukuliwe na watu wengine wenye uwezo zaidi wa kifedha watakaoweza kumudu hali hiyo ya kiuchumi ndio maana katika video ya MIT wanasisitiza sana suala la Urban Planning ya Mtwara.

Katika hili tusidanganyane wananchi wa Mtwara wako sahihi kabisa ila CCm na viongozi wake hawana alternative ingine ila kulazimisha gesi hiyo isafrishwe kuja DSM kwa kuwa mitambo ya kuzalisha umeme kujengwa DSM ni matokeo ya ufisadi wa taifa kuacha kujijengea uwezo wa kuzalisha umeme wake yenyewe na kutegemea mitambo ya kuzalisha umeme wa dharura kama vile IPTL, RICHMOND, DOWANS n.k ambayo yote ilijengwa DSM.

Back
Top Bottom