McDonald Mariga at Inter Milan

Mourinho's joy as Mariga finally arrives home

PNN01_SOCCER-ENGLAND-_0111_.jpg

Inter Milan coach Jose Mourinho looks on before the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester United and Chelsea in Manchester, northern England, January 11, 2009.

By SAMMY KITULA
Wednesday, February 3 2010 at 20:28

Inter Milan head coach Jose Mourinho is over the moon after landing Kenyan international McDonald Mariga from Parma.

Mounrinho, who had been tracking Mariga since the season began, told the club's website that the highly-rated youngster would help strengthen the Italian giants' midfield.

"He's a player with a bright future and I'm happy to have landed him to San Siro. Mariga will restore the balance left by the departure of Patrick Vieira," "The Special One" said.

"He's an extra option in midfield. We have Rene Krhin back in midfield too and we have regained this balance that we lost with the departure of Patrick [Vieira] and the injuries.

"Mariga trained with us for the first time today [Tuesday]; we know he is back from an injury but he seems fit to play."

And on the Kenyan's prospects of making the first team, Mourinho said: "He's not a finished product and I like him for this because he's young, he has to grow. He's for today, but also for the future. He has to work a lot to get to the top but I like him."

The club's president, Massimo Moratti, has become the latest victim of a racist attack after his villa was vandalised by criminals. Italian newspaper La Republica reported on Wednesday that vandals sprayed the words "No more negros" on the gates of Moratti's home in the province of Lecco, near Milan.

Speculative coverage suggests the incident is linked with the arrival of Mariga. It's not the first time the club have been affected by such problems. Mario Balotelli has often been a victim of racism this term, with some of the abuse coming from his own fans.

Inter have not spoken publicly about the latest attack. Mariga arrives at San Siro to a full plate as February is a busy time for Inter, with seven matches up to the end of the month. There are a lot of matches to play in all three competitions and there are weeks with three league matches, which means a maximum of nine points are on offer.

Inter are an improved team compared to last year's. While Mariga might not be a household name in world football, like most of his team mates – like Samuel Eto'o, Marco Materazzi, Ricardo Quaresma, or even Mario Balotelli – are, he's confident of impressing his manager.

‘I will make it'

"Football is a matter of working hard and trying to defy all odds. And injuries notwithstanding, I believe I will make it [be a regular player] in the end," Mariga, 22, said on phone from Milan. "I had some light training with the team and it went on quite well."

He recounted how Prime Minister Raila Odinga called him regarding his work permit. He said: "He [Odinga] called me on Monday evening to tell me how much he had tried to secure me a work permit. But by that time the transfer window had closed."

The Premier had disclosed this at a press conference at his Treasury office on Tuesday, adding that all was not lost as the FA president, David Triesman, had assured him that Mariga could join any Premiership club from this May.

http://www.nation.co.ke/sports/football/-/1102/855070/-/11kyl8a/-/index.html

Mariga: "An important goal"

129631.jpg

MILAN - MacDonald Mariga's first goal for Inter came in his seventh Serie A appearance for the Nerazzurri. With the score at 1-1 after Milito's reply to Tiribocchi's opener for Atalanta, the Kenyan midfielder slammed in the second to put Inter in front at the interval.

"It was an important victory today, and I am very happy to be part of this great group, a great team composed of great players," Mariga told Sky Sport Italia.

"It was an important goal today and I am even happier because my mother is coming to Milan tonight to see me and the goal came today."

http://www.inter.it/aas/news/reader?N=33753&L=en

Hongera sana kijana sio wachezaji wetu hapa bongo wanafikiria Simba na Yanga

i congratulate Mariga for playing in the highest level soccer; once again, kenya wanatuonyesha kwa vitendo... tunawaona kwenye riadha, na sasa soka imepata nyota toka kenya, ni changamoto kwa watanzania kutoa products na si malalamiko na maneno mingi

safi sana mariga waoneshe vijana wa east africa kwamba nafasi zipo za kucheza kwenye ligi kubwa ni juhudi zao binafsi tu.

wachezaji wetu wakipata nafasi ya kuonesha kipaji chao wao wanaleta uzembe na kukubali kununuliwa kwa hela mbuzi hili wahujumu timu zao.

Inter midfielder MacDonald Mariga believes his exploits in Serie A and Denis Oliech’s accomplishments in French Ligue 1 for Auxerre will be a double delight for Harambee Stars in the coming months when the team kicks off their 2012 African Cup of Nations qualifiers.

Both youngsters remain in the frame for UEFA Champions League spots next season, and Mariga underlined it all with strike that came off Ghana’s Sulley Muntari in the 35th minute in Inter’s 3-1 comeback win over Atalanta on Saturday.

Despite the chance of the goal being credited to the Ghanaian, Mariga was content to have created the opportunity for the score.

"What is important is that the team won. It does not matter who scores. It feels good to be on the winning side," Mariga told The Standard on Sunday morning before some light training ahead of their Champions League second leg clash with Barcelona at Camp Nou on Wednesday.
"I’m happy that Denis is doing his best at Auxerre and if he continues like that it will have ripple effects for our national team," said the 22-year-old signed by Jose Mourinho from Parma in January.

Inter, who returned to the top with 73 points, are locked in a Scudetto chase with Claudio Ranieri’s Roma, who lost 2-1 to Sampdoria at Stadio Olimpico last night.

From humble beginnings, both Kenyans are in the frame to win titles in two of Europe’s premier football leagues. Oliech’s Auxerre are five points adrift of leaders Marseille in the French Ligue 1 and five ahead of third placed Lille with four matches to go.

Standing between Mariga and the Scudetto are fixtures against Lazio (May 2, away), Chievo (May 9, home) and Siena (May 16, away).

Auxerre beat Toulouse 3-0 on Sunday thanks to goals from Pedretti and Ireneusz Jelen’s brace to close the gap behind Marseille.

In a top of the table clash on Friday, Auxerre welcome Marseille, who are chasing their first title in 18 years.

Sijui kama hawa wachezaji wetu hapa bongo wanajifunza kitu hapo au ndio yale yale kila kukicha ni Simba na Yanga? Nadhani huu ni wakati muafaka wa kufunguka macho na kuwa na moyo wa wivu wa mafanikio kujituma na kuweka malengo ya kwenda mbali zaidi. Inasikitisha sana kuona eti mcezaji kama Jerryson Tegete amekatisha majaribio yake ulaya kisa kuja kuwahi mechi ya Simba na Yanga. Kwa kweli kuna wakati huwa napata shida sana jinsi hawa wachezaji wetu akili zao zinavyofanya kazi. Huyo Mariga nina imani akimaliza misimu miwili huko Inter atakuwa amefungua mlango hata kwa wachezaji wengine wa kenya kuingia kwenye ramani ya soka ulimwenguni. Lazima watataka kujua Kenya iko wapi na kuna nini?? Big Up Mariga....

Duh so mchezo kwahiyo manake zile medali zote tatu dogo naye kavaa? Yaani kwa kifupi ni mmoja ya washindi wa vikombe vitatu? loh fy hi kaka

Duh so mchezo kwahiyo manake zile medali zote tatu dogo naye kavaa? Yaani kwa kifupi ni mmoja ya washindi wa vikombe vitatu? loh fy hi kaka

Katika miezi 6 dogo ameepua medali zote tatu and thats not a small achievement. Kuna wengi amabo wamejaribu career zao nzima na wameambulia bila bila. Kweli zari ya mtu huwezi mnyima.

Dnsportsinter2605e.jpg

McDonald Mariga display's a dummy ticket for the Fifa World Cup which was pesented to him by CocaCola

Dnsportsinter2605i.jpg

Dnsportsinter2605m.jpg

McDonald Mariga with Copa CocaCola under-17 dream team players at City Stadium.

DNMARIGA2405B.jpg

InterMilan's McDonald Mariga (centre) at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi on May 24, 2010. His club won the Champions League and Serie A titles.