Lake Turkana wind power Project employs new wind tower technology: iconic structure to be built.

nyangau mkenya

JF-Expert Member
Mar 26, 2015
26135572_BG4.jpg

Solar Wind Energy Tower, Inc. (OTCQB: SWET) (the "Company"), the inventor of large Solar Wind Downdraft Tower structures capable of producing abundant, inexpensive electricity, today announced that on July 18th, 2015 ("Effective Date"), the Company entered into a Memorandum of Understanding ("MOU") with Elperta Industries Co. Limited in Nairobi, Kenya East Africa ("Elperta") to pursue the finance and development of its thermal downdraft Towers Facilities ("Tower Facility") in Kenya.

Elperta is able to finance, construct, and place in operation such Tower Facility, subject to obtaining necessary consents and approvals and other pre-development activity. Moreover, the developer has already identified potential suitable sites as well as offtake customers in the region.

The agreement signed between the parties sets forth specific terms for SWET to receive development fees and royalties from Tower project(s) in Kenya, while allowing Elperta a 6 month exclusivity period to fully evaluate and vet a specific site identified for the first Tower Facility. Each facility is estimated to have an installed capacity rating of up to 1,250 megawatts.

Ron Pickett, CEO of Solar Wind Energy Tower, commented, "The Company has been in discussions with Elperta and two other potential developers since last fall -- focused on the Lake Turkana region of Kenya, an area the Kenyan government has targeted for energy projects. We have evaluated this site and deemed it adequate to support a Tower project. East Africa needs energy to develop its resources. International organizations and banks are committed to assisting African nations to develop infrastructure projects and energy development is essential."

He continued, "Elperta was ultimately chosen as our development partner given their strong track record, identified potential customer pipeline and ties to various financing opportunities. Upon the completion of strategic development milestones, SWET and Elperta may enter into a long-term agreement where they will have exclusive use of all of our technology, patents, trade secrets, and development know-how, together with technical support, project management and long-term operations and maintenance services to ensure the successful development and utilization of Tower Facilities in the region."

About Solar Wind Energy Tower, Inc. Founded in 2010, Solar Wind Energy Tower, Inc., and its wholly owned commercializing subsidiary, Solar Wind Energy, Inc., is the inventor of the patented Solar Wind Downdraft Tower, which uses state of the art technologies and construction systems to produce abundant, inexpensive electricity, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and the Energy Generation Calculator software which can calculate and predict energy production of a Tower given a site's local weather data. The Company secured the site for its first Tower project in the U.S. in the City of San Luis, Arizona which may be ready for operation as soon as 2018. Under the most recent design specifications, the first Tower in San Luis, Arizona has a design capacity on an hourly basis of up to 1,250 megawatt hours, gross. The Company is also focused on licensing its development know-how and establishing partnerships at home and abroad to propagate Tower development projects in return for licensing fees for territories, development fees during construction, and recurring royalty fees based on the actual kilowatt hours produced by the Tower. Solar Wind Energy has assembled a team of experienced business professionals, engineering and scientific consultants with the proven ability to bring this solution to market.

The Company's core objective and focus is to become a leading enabler of clean, efficient renewable energy to world communities, at a reasonable cost, without the destructive residuals of fossil fuels, while continuing to generate innovative technological solutions to meet tomorrow's electrical power needs. Solar Wind Energy has filed and been issued patents that the Company believes will further enhance this potentially revolutionary technology. Solar Wind Energy Tower, Inc., based in Annapolis, MD, is traded on the OTCQB under the symbol "SWET".

Source: marketwired

PROGRESS PICS, PROJECT MOVING REAL FAST

..NB-these are support infrastructure plus construction of wind mills not the actual wind tower construction.
1538656_667295753336750_157840897_n.jpg
10845670_910619575671032_8994041147172660480_o.jpg
11124759_910619529004370_6312615899564051253_o.jpg
11536501_950606181672371_8654983999740939351_o.jpg
UJtdoXAh.jpg
SE1IEGHh.jpg
KglZQRDh.jpg

'''This technology is essentially best suited to be carried out in hot dry areas (hence the Turkana selection). Essentially, water is pumped to the top of the tower, and spayed inside the tower. This water cools the hot dry air at the top. The newly cool air which is denser sinks to the bottom of the cylindrical tower, spinning a turbine at the bottom and producing the electricity. The greater the temperature difference the greater the efficiency. Since a large amount of water is required in this technology, I would think that the newly discovered Turkana aquifer would be the logical source of water. Also...

Note that the above values are merely model calculations and real world figures from a test plant have not yet been collected.
It is also interesting to note, that for the 1250 MW capacity to be realized, the tower that serves as the plant will have to be roughly 685 meters (2247 ft) tall, and that energy will only be generated during the sunniest of days. for a less capacity, we are still looking at 1000 ft+ tower. In other words we are talking about some of the largest/tallest structures, not only in Africa, but the world.

Still, with Kenya serving as a test bed for this technology, if anything close to the efficiency and energy generation values calculated are achieved then good Lord, I can't even think about the ramifications...''

Has this thing been approved ama ni studies wanaconduct tu, I don't think those towers are for this project, I recently saw them kwa ile project ya 300MW, so i think you are confusing the two projects.

Has this thing been approved ama ni studies wanaconduct tu, I don't think those towers are for this project, I recently saw them kwa ile project ya 300MW, so i think you are confusing the two projects.

it will be built alongside the normal wind project

''
US company Solar Wind Energy Tower (Swet) has signed a deal to develop a 1,250MW power plant in Turkana County, boosting Kenya's access to clean energy.

The Maryland-based firm announced that it had entered into an agreement with Elperta Industries of Greece to develop a power plant, known as tower facility, in Turkana for an undisclosed amount.

Under the agreement, Elperta Industries will finance and construct the power station using Swet's patented technology. In exchange, the US firm will earn royalties from electricity sales generated from the plant.

"Each (such) facility is estimated to have an installed capacity of up to 1,250 megawatts," said Swet in a statement. Given that the amount of power to be generated is almost four times that to be produced by the Lake Turkana Wind Power (LTWP) project which will cost Sh70 billion when completed, the venture is likely to cost a lot more.

Currently, the LTWP project is Africa's biggest wind farm. Swet chief executive Ron Pickett said in the statement that the company had already identified a site where the first plant will be put up.

"The company has been in discussions with Elperta and two other potential developers since last fall - focused on the Lake Turkana region, an area the government has targeted for energy projects. We have evaluated this site and deemed it adequate to support (the) project," said Mr Pickett.

The firm, however, did not give project timeliness. Wind power is expected to account for 11 per cent of Kenya's power mix over the next three years in line with the government's target of adding 5,000MW by 2018.

Currently, wind power makes up about one per cent of the electricity produced annually for the national grid.

Capacity

"We have developed internal capacity to implement the wind project. We see a lot of potential in wind power. It is likely to become a big thing in Kenya," said KenGen chief executive Albert Mugo earlier in the month when signing financing deals for a 400MW wind power plant in Meru County.

The listed power producer expects the first phase of the Meru-based wind farm to be completed in December 2017.

KenGen generates 25.5MW from its Ngong-based wind farm and plans to invest up to Sh130 billion in renewable energy over the next four years.

Power and infrastructure firm TransCentury is putting up a $130 million (Sh13 billion) plant in Limuru, Kiambu County. ''

Ooh hii ni ile sijui $1 Billion project, have they really said they are gonna build it and have they released the cash, ju hawa journalists like to spin a story for more readership??? If built, it will be the tallest structure in Africa, and one of the largest man made structures in the world.

you got to love Kenya.Talk of blessings.

it's not blessing, it's seizing the moment and taking the opportunity, there are many dry , hot, windy areas in africa (along the Sahara desert belt ) and other areas around the world ,

now
we have the biggest single geothermal plant, by 2020 we''ll probably be no.1 in geothermal production in the world (currently we are 8th)

we have the largest biogas plant in Africa (it was launched last month)

by 2017, we will have the largest wind farm and the largest solar power farm...

yaani on clean energy, by 2020, we''ll be the trend setter when it comes to renewable energy, Kenya will be the MPESA of clean energy (you won't be able to talk of clean energy without a sentence mentioning Kenya as an example)

mmmtamu sana. Is the transmission company building a grid to connect the common turu guy...ama there will be long lines going toward nairobi etc..just asking

mmmtamu sana. Is the transmission company building a grid to connect the common turu guy...ama there will be long lines going toward nairobi etc..just asking

Turkana residents and the investments flocking to the region owing to the recent discovery of oil there will be the chief beneficiaries of that power project. It isnt just targeted for pipo in other regions of Kenya.
Our govt envisions a Kenya where every person will have access to electricity, in the next few years. It is working tirelessly in its goal to connect upto a million homes (esp. in the rural areas annually), a goal innitiated in 2006.

You need to realize that it isnt entirely our govt's fault that some regions are marginalized from such crucial services in favor of certain regions. That notion is wrong.

Ooh hii ni ile sijui $1 Billion project, have they really said they are gonna build it and have they released the cash, ju hawa journalists like to spin a story for more readership??? If built, it will be the tallest structure in Africa, and one of the largest man made structures in the world.
Ahaaa! Really?

Ahaaa! Really?
Hebu convert hizo measurements into metres ujionee, 2,235ft is 677m and 1,200ft is 363m, the Burj Khalifa is 800m and assuming the lower base of the tower covers a circular area, pi times (363/2) squared is 103,491metres squared, that's 10.3 hectares of land which translates to roughly 24 acres of land. That is huge, it will literally block the sun and even sometimes prevent clouds from forming. Wacha wajenge hii kitu man, it will be something to boast about.

Turkana residents and the investments flocking to the region owing to the recent discovery of oil there will be the chief beneficiaries of that power project. It isnt just targeted for pipo in other regions of Kenya.
Our govt envisions a Kenya where every person will have access to electricity, in the next few years. It is working tirelessly in its goal to connect upto a million homes (esp. in the rural areas annually), a goal innitiated in 2006.

You need to realize that it isnt entirely our govt's fault that some regions are marginalized from such crucial services in favor of certain regions. That notion is wrong.

Iconoclastes and pkjag swali ni simple tu na bila uzushi....give me.details of the socio economic benefits to the indigenes.Any projects to that effect. Mind you am no stranger to these things and my hunch tells me nada is being done

Last edited by a moderator:
Iconoclastes and pkjag swali ni simple tu na bila uzushi....give me.details of the socio economic benefits to the indigenes.Any projects to that effect. Mind you am no stranger to these things and my hunch tells me nada is being done

The whole of Nairobi doesn't even use the amount of power that is going to be produced by this megastructure, think of all the homes in Turkana and Marsabit and because we are the test bed of this technology, if it succeeds, we'll see more towers being setup in Kenya, it will also create jobs and train people, $1 Billion is no joke, even skyscrapers barely spend that much amount of money, I'm also skeptical, but we are not the ones raising most of the cash since it's a private incentive, but I really hope it gets built.

Hebu convert hizo measurements into metres ujionee, 2,235ft is 677m and 1,200ft is 363m, the Burj Khalifa is 800m and assuming the lower base of the tower covers a circular area, pi times (363/2) squared is 103,491metres squared, that's 10.3 hectares of land which translates to roughly 24 acres of land. That is huge, it will literally block the sun and even sometimes prevent clouds from forming. Wacha wajenge hii kitu man, it will be something to boast about.

Indeed it will be a structure behold! U mentioned the Burj their, and it hit just how huuge this structure will be.

My guess is as good as yours my friend. This is a question best put to those involved with the project. pkjag and I have never gone out of our ways to carry out studies on the issue. We are no experts on the matter; but we can try make some guesses:
-will the constant interaction betwn the turus and the outside world lead to a change in lifestle? Will this mark the end of the regressive cultural practices such as cattlerustling?
-will it lead to the widespread construction of such infrastructure as modern towns, schools, hospitals,roads, water supply etc?
-will the locals benefit from the jobs that will result from the investments, oil mining, govt activities etc?
There'll be benefits galore.

You should note that turkana has 2 projects kuna the largest wind power project in africa

375mw

Alafu kuna hii sasa ambayo naona itakuwa kubwa kuliko nyingine lolote hii yenye nyangau amepost

Wait wait wait nyangau mkenya u want to tell me that one tower alone can give upto 1200mw ama watongeza tower zingine??!

Back
Top Bottom