l need to be fluent in English

big result now

Sep 8, 2013
First of all i would like to say that I am an average English speaker,though i would like to be very fluent in English,the fact that i do speak English very seldom and all along my studies i never had enough time to learn more about it,being through government schools from form one up to form six deprive me the opportunity of improving my language,we had very little time to speak English or even having a spare time to conduct debates,scarcity of books and learning environment worsened our situation,I can not stay back and do nothing,i jst want to get out of this situation.

All that i need from you guys is a way forward, what should i do to have my english improved,as i said i am just an average English speaker,i just want to take some steps ahead asap,i will take into account your advice and reccommendations, i may happen to know some of the ways but i do not know all of them,that is why I am here before you guys.

Thanks a lots in advance.

[h=2]The following tips helped me improve my spoken English and overcome my hesitation in the language. Hope they are useful for you too.
1. Don't study grammar too much
This rule might sound strange to many ESL students, but it is one of the most important rules. If you want to pass examinations, then study grammar. However, if you want to become fluent in English, then you should try to learn English without studying the grammar.

Studying grammar will only slow you down and confuse you. You will think about the rules when creating sentences instead of naturally saying a sentence like a native. Remember that only a small fraction of English speakers know more than 20% of all the grammar rules.

Many of us are interested in knowing the grammar perhaps more than the native speakers. I can confidently say this with experience. I am an undergraduate student in English Linguistics, and have been taught English sometimes by the native speakers. From his observation, he's been clear to a commitment that students know more details about English grammar than he does. He can easily look up the definition and apply it, but he doesn't know it off the top of his head.

I often ask my native English friends some grammar questions, and only a few of them know the correct answer. However, they are fluent in English and can read, speak, listen, and communicate effectively.

Now, this is the struggle to recite the definition of a causative verb, or the question of being able to speak English fluently!

2. Learn and study phrases
It amazes me how many words some of my friends knew when we first met in a Form Five class, but still they could not create proper sentences that reflected their abilities. The reason I later noticed was because they didn't study phrases. We're told, particularly in learning language acquisition, that when children learn a language, they learn both words and phrases together. Likewise, you need to study and learn phrases, my friend.

The untold fact is that, if you know 1000 words, you might not be able to say one correct sentence. But if you know 1 phrase, you can make hundreds of correct sentences. If you know 100 phrases, you will be surprised at how many correct sentences you will be able to say. Finally, when you know only a 1000 phrases, you will be almost a fluent English speaker.

My University don for Semantics course used to ‘technically play with words' in a manner that he could complicate hard your mind, but then when coming to analysis. They were only phrases. The strange things was perhaps we did not know them before. So, keep learning them.

With me, the other best way I employed was to learn as many synonyms as I could. This was because I was interested in writing, and thus I had to master a wide range of native vocabulary of English. I am, in fact, counted as one of the best writers in our finalist class. This, however, does not hold water to the fact that I am also the best speaker of English.

Don't translate

When you want to create an English sentence, do not translate the words from your Mother tongue. The order of words is probably completely different and you will be both slow and incorrect by doing this. Instead, learn phrases and sentences so you don't have to think about the words you are saying. It should be automatic.

Another problem with translating is that you will be trying to incorporate grammar rules that you have learned. Translating and thinking about the grammar to create English sentences is incorrect and should be avoided.

3. Reading and Listening is NOT enough. Practice Speaking what you hear!
Reading, listening, and speaking are the most important aspects of any language. The same is true for English. However, speaking is the only requirement to be fluent. It is normal for babies and children to learn speaking first, become fluent, then start reading, then writing. So the natural order is listening, speaking, reading, then writing.

You don't have to go anywhere to become a fluent English speaker. You only need to surround yourself with English. You can do this by making rules with your existing friends that you will only speak English.
I am happy that I found you here. I am a native of Lindi region (Southern zone) studying English Linguistics at the University of Dodoma (UDOM).[/h]

The following tips helped me improve my spoken English and overcome my hesitation in the language. Hope they are useful for you too.
This rule might sound strange to many ESL students, but it is one of the most important rules. If you want to pass examinations, then study grammar. However, if you want to become fluent in English, then you should try to learn English without studying the grammar.

Studying grammar will only slow you down and confuse you. You will think about the rules when creating sentences instead of naturally saying a sentence like a native. Remember that only a small fraction of English speakers know more than 20% of all the grammar rules.

Many of us are interested in knowing the grammar perhaps more than the native speakers. I can confidently say this with experience. I am an undergraduate student in English Linguistics, and have been taught English sometimes by the native speakers. From his observation, he’s been clear to a commitment that students know more details about English grammar than he does. He can easily look up the definition and apply it, but he doesn't know it off the top of his head.

I often ask my native English friends some grammar questions, and only a few of them know the correct answer. However, they are fluent in English and can read, speak, listen, and communicate effectively.

Now, this is the struggle to recite the definition of a causative verb, or the question of being able to speak English fluently!

It amazes me how many words some of my friends knew when we first met in a Form Five class, but still they could not create proper sentences that reflected their abilities. The reason I later noticed was because they didn't study phrases. We’re told, particularly in learning language acquisition, that when children learn a language, they learn both words and phrases together. Likewise, you need to study and learn phrases, my friend.

The untold fact is that, if you know 1000 words, you might not be able to say one correct sentence. But if you know 1 phrase, you can make hundreds of correct sentences. If you know 100 phrases, you will be surprised at how many correct sentences you will be able to say. Finally, when you know only a 1000 phrases, you will be almost a fluent English speaker.

My University don for Semantics course used to ‘technically play with words’ in a manner that he could complicate hard your mind, but then when coming to analysis. They were only phrases. The strange things was perhaps we did not know them before. So, keep learning them.

With me, the other best way I employed was to learn as many synonyms as I could. This was because I was interested in writing, and thus I had to master a wide range of native vocabulary of English. I am, in fact, counted as one of the best writers in our finalist class. This, however, does not hold water to the fact that I am also the best speaker of English.

Don't translate

When you want to create an English sentence, do not translate the words from your Mother tongue. The order of words is probably completely different and you will be both slow and incorrect by doing this. Instead, learn phrases and sentences so you don't have to think about the words you are saying. It should be automatic.

Another problem with translating is that you will be trying to incorporate grammar rules that you have learned. Translating and thinking about the grammar to create English sentences is incorrect and should be avoided.

Reading, listening, and speaking are the most important aspects of any language. The same is true for English. However, speaking is the only requirement to be fluent. It is normal for babies and children to learn speaking first, become fluent, then start reading, then writing. So the natural order is listening, speaking, reading, then writing.

You don't have to go anywhere to become a fluent English speaker. You only need to surround yourself with English. You can do this by making rules with your existing friends that you will only speak English.
I am happy that I found you here. I am a native of Lindi region (Southern zone) studying English Linguistics at the University of Dodoma (UDOM).

Thanks for your constructive comment,i have obtained lots of resorceful hints,i will probably take into account your advice,i was on the verge of being good in spoken english since had lots of people to speak to,when i departed from one region to another it's when i lost my steps,i do believe i will make it.

this is very interesting.. i am also going to learn these phrases.. though the concept of acculturation in second language learning is very important. thanks alot am proud to hear that you are from Lindi either. thanks again

What perfect advice from psycholinguist! Hivyo ndivyo nilivyojifunza Kiswahili miaka 47 iliopita. Na hata mpaka leo nakisema barabara (isiipokuwa maneno mengi yamenipotea). Perhaps the hardest part will be finding fluent English speakers with whom to converse. All the best!

The following tips helped me improve my spoken English and overcome my hesitation in the language. Hope they are useful for you too.

Many of us are interested in knowing the grammar perhaps more than the native speakers. I can confidently say this with experience. I am an undergraduate student in English Linguistics, and have been taught English sometimes by the native speakers. From his observation, he's been clear to a commitment that students know more details about English grammar than he does. He can easily look up the definition and apply it, but he doesn't know it off the top of his head.

It amazes me how many words some of my friends knew when we first met in a Form Five class, but still they could not create proper sentences that reflected their abilities. The reason I later noticed was because they didn't study phrases. We're told, particularly in learning language acquisition, that when children learn a language, they learn both words and phrases together. Likewise, you need to study and learn phrases, my friend.

My University don for Semantics course used to ‘technically play with words' in a manner that he could complicate hard your mind, but then when coming to analysis. They were only phrases. The strange things was perhaps we did not know them before. So, keep learning them.

Don't translate

I am happy that I found you here. I am a native of Lindi region (Southern zone) studying English Linguistics at the University of Dodoma (UDOM).
This is nice.....

kujua lugha yeyote ni kuiongea tu,na rafik zangu toka Iraq,mexico na rwanda wamekuja marekani hawajui english kabisa lakin sasa wanaongea vizuri mfano kwa Tanzania ni msanii Diamond amejifunza lugha mwaka mmoja tu lakin sasa anaongea vizuri sana,lugha yeyote ni kujaribu kuongea bila kuogopa ata ukikosea poa usione noma,tafuta mtu anayependa kuongea kingereza uwe unaongea naye kila siku ata kwa simu we jilipue usione noma kukosea au hatakucheki we ongea tu,

Wow! This is a very useful threads. Talking of people who are short of confidence, I have got to be one of them. I have a good foundation though, I listen a LOT of English and it's been quite helpful, but my biggest obstacle is speaking right in front of people, or rather, just speaking it. Because of that 'lazyness', I feel really uncomfortable and as a result I am a 'poor speaker', I don't like this. My friends are not helping me any bit since they totally don't have the desire as I.
I guess I'm gonna have to commit myself into those tricks mentioned above. I love English language.
Thanks to everyone on this threads for commenting on a variety of teckniques for improving English speaking.
Have a nice day.