Kenya's Justice Minister Resigns..another one follows!

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
Kenya Justice minister resigns

nh_060409_01.jpg

Kenya’s Justice minister has resigned from Government.

Ms Martha Karua has left her Constitutional Affairs and National Cohesion docket.

“I will continue to participate in nation building as a Member of Parliament and a leader.

“I will now be able to totally disagree with anything that is anti-reform,” she said at a news conference in her Nairobi office.

She made good her threat to quit a day after she said “enough is enough” after attending a church service at the Anglican Church in Nairobi.

She has said that she decided to resign citing frustrations in discharging her duties.

President Kibaki appointed five new High Court judges on Friday last week and promoted two others to the Court of Appeal. She said she was not aware of the president’s move.

As the minister in charge of Justice, Ms Karua expected to be consulted before new judges were appointed.

“If my hands are tied and the Judiciary continues to be used as a place where people sacked from parastatals are recycled, the agenda is forestalled and all reforms are annihilated, then I better leave and fights for the rights of ordinary mwananchi,” she said after the appointments.

DAILY NATION - Kenya Justice minister Karua resigns

Mimi i like this mama,ana misimamo ambayo Mawaziri wetu wa Tanzania hawezi kuthubutu.Tunahitaji viongozi wenye uwezo wa kufanya kama huyu mama wanapokuwa hawakubaliani na misimamo ya viongozi wasioitakia mema nchi yao.

Kenya Justice minister resigns

nh_060409_01.jpg

Kenya’s Justice minister has resigned from Government.

Ms Martha Karua has left her Constitutional Affairs and National Cohesion docket.

“I will continue to participate in nation building as a Member of Parliament and a leader.

“I will now be able to totally disagree with anything that is anti-reform,” she said at a news conference in her Nairobi office.

She made good her threat to quit a day after she said “enough is enough” after attending a church service at the Anglican Church in Nairobi.

She has said that she decided to resign citing frustrations in discharging her duties.

President Kibaki appointed five new High Court judges on Friday last week and promoted two others to the Court of Appeal. She said she was not aware of the president’s move.

As the minister in charge of Justice, Ms Karua expected to be consulted before new judges were appointed.

“If my hands are tied and the Judiciary continues to be used as a place where people sacked from parastatals are recycled, the agenda is forestalled and all reforms are annihilated, then I better leave and fights for the rights of ordinary mwananchi,” she said after the appointments.

DAILY NATION*- Kenya Justice minister Karua resigns
bravo MAMA MARTHA KARUA..

hii ndo kufikia self actualization kiakili na kimawazoo...

wanasiasa wabongo hapo vipi???

naombeni mnielekeze tunawezaje tukamwalika bongo akaja kutoa mhadhara wa ''UONGOZI KWA AJILI YA WATU''

tutumie chama cha siasa, taasisi ya elimu au NGO yeyote yenye kuunga mkono wanasiasa wasipoenda ktumikia WATAWALA...

NAWASILISHA..

Yes, but I think the woman has fallen out of grace upon sensing her dwindling chances to influence Kibaki, rather than her claimed championship for reform.
We are all witness. Despite her clear knowledge of stolen elections (ballot), hardly 2 years ago, Martha Karua was the adamant cabinet minister opposing formation of the grand coalition government to end post-elections political hostilities in Kenya. That is the karua we should all know!
Note: Ms. Martha Karua has formed a new party, which she will soon be working for.

Yes, but I think the woman has fallen out of grace upon sensing her dwindling chances to influence Kibaki, rather than her claimed championship for reform.
We are all witness. Despite her clear knowledge of stolen elections (ballot), hardly 2 years ago, Martha Karua was the adamant cabinet minister opposing formation of the grand coalition government to end post-elections political hostilities in Kenya. That is the karua we should all know!
Note: Ms. Martha Karua has formed a new party, which she will soon be working for.

Martha Karua is the chair lady of Narc Kenya, she hasn't formed another party. thats my two cents.

Thanks SOPHIST for reminding us... SHE GAVE RAILA HELL DATES AND I THINK WITH THE COALITION SHE CAN NOT INFLUENCE AS BEFORE

LETS TAKE A COIN HERE SIDE ONE SHE IS A REAL PATRIOT WITH SELF ACTUALIZATION AND HIGHEST REGARDS AND ANOTHER SIDES DEPICTS HER AS SELF CENTRED, DEFEATED NARROW MINDED LEADER LOSING HER GRIP DUE TO CURRENT DYNAMICS AND TIME

NEVERTHELESS, CONGRATS FOR LEAVING THE POST

Martha Karua is the chair lady of Narc Kenya, she hasn't formed another party. thats my two cents.
Ndugu,
Unlike ours [Tanzania], politics in Kenya is very dynamic and fragile. Narc-Kenya was actually formed by Kibaki only to abandon it when it became evident that with its narrow tribal line (non inclusive of the Uhurus, and the like) the party would not salvage him to the state house. Hence the efforts to establish the PNU. There are two things to note:

• Ms. Martha Karua had previously declared her intention to contest presidency
  • Once she falls out of grace with Kibaki, Karua can expect the upper hand (influence) of the former to obstruct pursuance of her presidential ambitions. Mark you, both Uhuru and Karua are Kikuyus, they are both ambitious of Kenya presidency, but importantly, each of the duo heavily relies on the mount Kanya support vote-the Kikuyus! Mashindano ya kufa na kupona!

This is one woman who knows how to operate,she has modeled herself as a politician without necessarily leaning towards the old hullabaloo of gender stuff and women rights. when she tackles the other politicians she does it with facts that make sense.Hell even with the shenanigans of 2007 elections her arguments made some us believe that Kibaki was clean and the other side was dirty and vice versa.
I have no clue who Kibaki's advisers are but on this one they have messed big time you cant afford to loose the likes of Martha especially at a time like this Kibaki needs her on his side,she is like 10 to 20 times better than some of the hang arounds that are now cohabiting with Kibaki.Kibaki is so exposed especially with the like of James Orengo around he wont have people to defend him.
One thing is for sure she has scored on this one a hat trick of some kind.She will be free to sell herself and the good thing is she has come out clean, the perception people will have of her is that of a principled individual she seems to have read the mood on the ground people need some kind of different way of doing things.

Mama huyu is 'Iron Lady'

I like her calculations as a politician!

I Once heard that she will stand for Presidency in 2012!

Could this be one of reasons for Kibaki to sideline her in the appointment of new judges as she did not get Baraka za Mzee for 2012?

She is tough ...I liked her professionalism...I used to enjoy her interview with Aljazeera/BBC/CNN, during the election turmoil of 08 ...she played a major part in defending Mr. Kibaki's 'questionable presidency' that is the negative part of her.

From my perspective I think this is totally political trickery that is being played here. Remember that this is the very same mama who sided with Kibaki during last year's elections and she strongly surported Kibaki knowing very well that Kibaki lost the elections. She wants to win the hearts of Kenyans and nothing else. People please dont buy this it does not need a rocket scientist to figure this out.

From my perspective I think this is totally political trickery that is being played here. Remember that this is the very same mama who sided with Kibaki during last year's elections and she strongly surported Kibaki knowing very well that Kibaki lost the elections. She wants to win the hearts of Kenyans and nothing else. People please dont buy this it does not need a rocket scientist to figure this out.

Thanks Mkuu kwa kungalia huyu mama kwa upane huo... in addition, her personality has always be the aggressive one and in many cases showing bipolar signs; Almost karibia kwa Mrema wetu so she needs to go no further to to determine her political fate

Politician who is not friendly; needs friendly boosters; don't know if he has those boosters

we knew she would do it.....but why should she run away after she helped Kibaki steal elections?

Ask Kenyan's on the street,they will indeed confirm to you that this woman is only a dramatiser....why should she quit yet she is the one who organized for Kibaki to steal elections......kama hengekuwa yeye,Raila could be the president.Her ambition of leading Kenyan's in 2012....is like she is dreaming.There are two people who will never lead Kenya
1.Martha karua
2.Kalonzo Musyoka

Wanapenda vya bure na kunyemelea.....to hell you go Madam,,,,,,,,by the way,before even thinking of being a president......who is your husband?<<<just curious>> we need a first dad if you gonna steal for the second time

Weke mambo wazi.....Kikuyu women never get married forever.Ukisha mpatia watoto....you are a rug.She moves out of you....ITS AUTOMATIC.Out of 10 Kikuyu married women.....seven of them will walk out of you after you have given her kids and you have accumulated enough wealth.She takes you to court...and the story goes half by half,plus you educate her children.Martha Karua is one of them.Are you forgetting that she caught pants down with With University of Nairobi Father ie Wamugunda at Midnite sometimes in 2006?

Tatizo hii serikali ililazimishwa kuundwa hao mawaziri kila mara wanazozana ila huyu Mama ana msimamo

Weke mambo wazi.....Kikuyu women never get married forever.Ukisha mpatia watoto....you are a rug.She moves out of you....ITS AUTOMATIC.Out of 10 Kikuyu married women.....seven of them will walk out of you after you have given her kids and you have accumulated enough wealth.She takes you to court...and the story goes half by half,plus you educate her children.Martha Karua is one of them.Are you forgetting that she caught pants down with With University of Nairobi Father ie Wamugunda at Midnite sometimes in 2006?

Maramoja hii watu tumesahau matokeo ya ukabila, Hebu tueleze hizo statistics zako umezitoa wapi, jamani tujitahidi kuelimishwa na yaliyo pita na tunayo yajua kuwa kosa. Sasa hivi leo wakikuyu kesho itakuwa wadigo, keshokutwa wachaga mwisho wapi. Ndio maana afrika tunavuta mkia, sababu bado tunayarejelea yale ambayo jana yalituumiza.

Karua throws spanner into succession

Updated 3 hr(s) 3 min(s) ago

By Francis Ngige

The Kibaki succession battle in the Mt Kenya region has intensified, but with the resignation of Martha Karua as Justice Minister on Monday, a spanner has been thrown into the works.

MPs allied to Finance Minister Uhuru Kenyatta moved to consolidate his support base when they met at a Nairobi hotel recently to map out strategies to secure the regional bloc for the Deputy Prime Minister.

Last month, MPs from the region converged at another hotel in Nairobi for a lunch meeting, where they resolved to support Uhuru.

Seeing Karua as the enemy within, they even plotted a censure Motion against her.

On Monday, Kamukunji MP Simon Mbugua said: "We are happy she will join us in the Opposition benches. But we would have liked to bring her down as a minister."

"We had planned to have Ababu Namwamba sponsor the Motion and file it on April 22 and I would second it, but our efforts now are nipped in the bud," said Mbugua.

"Karua’s resignation draws a little support from sympathisers, but for us the man to watch is Uhuru.

The Mt Kenya leaders argue Uhuru should be officially declared the region’s spokesman shunting aside Karua, who has openly declared intent to succeed President Kibaki in 2012.

Spoilers

The ‘lunch meeting’ was convened by Nyeri Town MP Esther Murugi and attended by, among others, Kiraitu Murungi, Mwangi Kiunjuri, Ephraim Maina, Mbiuki Kareke, Kabando wa Kabando, Lenny Kivuti, Mbugua, Jeremiah Kioni, Jamleck Kamau, FT Nyamo, Ferdinand Waititu and George Thuo.

At the meeting, another source said it was agreed that Uhuru was the only hope for unity in the region and the only formidable challenger to Prime Minister Raila Odinga and other Presidential candidates.

"We do not want spoilers in our quest for the top seat. We want to ensure the even Karua toes the line under Uhuru," said the MP.

A source disclosed that the Central Kenya Parliamentary Group had an arsenal of Sh7.14 million, which will be used in the proposed rallies.

But Mr Maina was quick to deny claims that Uhuru had been chosen as Mt Kenya’s Presidential candidate.

Maina said Uhuru was only appointed as Central Kenya leader, but not crowned as a presidential candidate.

Inciting residents

Karua dismissed the endorsement of Uhuru in Gatundu, saying Kenyans would not be easily hoodwinked.

"I don’t think Kenyans will be enticed to build dynasties," she said, adding, "Every individual must be judged by his track record."

Karua is also staring at a possible showdown with her critics in Parliament. Karua was a heroine for being a strong defender of Kibaki during the election crisis. She is believed to be more popular than Uhuru outside Central Province.

As the chair of Narc-Kenya, Karua has acquired a platform to push her bid during the tour of the party across the country.

The Standard | Online Edition :: Karua throws spanner into succession

Back
Top Bottom