How do you rate performance of National Assembly Speaker?

nngu007

JF-Expert Member
Aug 2, 2010
How do you rate performance of National Assembly Speaker?

Despite being praised for a job well done during the last Parliamentary session in Dodoma, Speaker Anne Makinda has also been accused of openly favouring the ruling party and trying to stifle the opposition.There are also those who say that it is too early to judge her performance, hence the need to let her settle down. Below are some of the views.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deogratius Temba, human rights activist
The performance of Speaker of the National Assembly is not encouraging as she seems to defend the interests of the ruling party and the government more, forgetting that she is supposed to be neutral.

Unnamed reader, 0717 422334
This is not a speaker we wished to have at this time when the nation is facing a lot of problems that need to be discussed in the House and solutions found.

Selestine Silayo, businessman, Arusha
The current Speaker of the National Assembly has not impressed me since she took office late last year. I am not happy with her performance. She is more inclined to the political party that brought her to Parliament (CCM).This is not fair.
She should bear in mind that she is serving the entire population of Tanzania and not her party's supporters. She was not fair in the way she handled the issue of Arusha Urban legislator, Godbless Lema (Chadema), especially after the latter insisted that the PM had told 'lies' on the recent political violence in Arusha.

Bill Kyomo, IT consultant, Arusha
It is too early to judge her performance but generally Ms Anne Makinda is OK as the Speaker of the National Assembly. I am saying so because she is principled and appears to be conversant with the rules governing the House.
Some people have complained that she is too emotional, but this should be expected of any public official trying to exercise authority.

Unnamed reader, 0754 374168
Makinda can do a good job, but until now she is trying to humiliate Chadema, and she should also control her emotions and be impartial! For now she is Speaker of CCM.

Machela Mohamed, 0714 245423
Apparently, the Speaker’s performance is not convincing; she is very biased and this makes us to believe that she is there not to serve the majority poor Tanzanians’ interests, but to safeguard those of a certain group, something which the former speaker did not do. And that’s why he was outmanoeuvred by CCM not to contest for another term using the scapegoat of gender balance. What hypocrisy!

Ishmael Ndaskoi, community activist, Arusha
The way I see, she is very hard-working. Some people may not be happy with her performance because they don't understand her.
Her principled character should not be misconstrued by her critics.

Unnamed reader, 0718 773777
Anne Makinda has so far performed poorly in executing her duties as the Speaker of the 10th Parliament, and this is largely due to the fact that she is not a legal expert.
She has also failed to be impartial in decision making as required of the Speaker of the august House.

Roman Chuwa, tour operator, Arusha
Ms Anne Makinda is OK as the Speaker of the National Assembly. I don't see any weakness in her. Those criticising her for the way she has been handling debates in the House are doing so because it is their right to speak.
The modus operandi of Ms Makinda is nothing strange because this is a Parliament of MPs drawn from different political parties. You don't expect everything to move on smoothly in a Parliament under multi-party system.

Unnamed reader, 0712 454963
This speaker is purposely there to fulfil some agendas of CCM. She hates the opposition, especially Chadema and she shows it openly. She does not deserve the post she has.

Lenana, 0786 999994
The speaker is doing great and hopefully she will vie for presidency in 2015.
Denis Marosha, entrepreneur, Dar es Salaam
I think it is too early to judge absolutely Anne Makinda’s performance in the 10th Parliament, but generally it is not impressing at all as she panics unnecessarily whenever something hot and new arises in the House.
Ms Makinda’s leadership is somehow not fair to the opposition parties, although she tries to play it right though not to an extent that we expected.
She will face many challenges in her leadership as many new elected MPs are well informed and do not fear expressing their views.

very poor performance! she is biased in conducting businesses of the house, in fact she gives priority to her party than public interest issues

I respect very much mama Annie Makinda, the speaker of the National Assembly.But I would for sure categorically say that she seems unfit, irrelevant and a polarising figure in leading contempolary Bunge sessions.I'm saying this by simply comparing her performance with that of Sitta's era.Kwa kifupi mama huyo anaonekana wazi she is there just to serve or rather to protect unpopular interest of her own party ( ruling CCM) at the expense of the national interest.Her approach to leading the Bunge is absolutelly contradictory, outrageous, unacceptable, deplorable and preposterous.
The current speaker must understand that the people of this nation are watching her very closely, and for sure history shall judge her without fear, favour or prejudice, and if she continues just like that she will just fall into oblivion.

I respect very much mama Annie Makinda, the speaker of the National Assembly.But I would for sure categorically say that she seems unfit, irrelevant and a polarising figure in leading contempolary Bunge sessions.I'm saying this by simply comparing her performance with that of Sitta's era.Kwa kifupi mama huyo anaonekana wazi she is there just to serve or rather to protect unpopular interest of her own party ( ruling CCM) at the expense of the national interest.Her approach to leading the Bunge is absolutelly contradictory, outrageous, unacceptable, deplorable and preposterous.
The current speaker must understand that the people of this nation are watching her very closely, and for sure history shall judge her without fear, favour or prejudice, and if she continues just like that she will just fall into oblivion.

What would you have expected!!!!
She was approached by the famous RA (the mastermind behind TZ poverty) to contest for the position just to ensure defeat of our Speed and Standard the real house speaker.
What do you expect out of her!!?? To defend criminals and evade grand corruption discussions. To evade the criminals from the hands of TZ patriots in the House.
Very sorry we do not have a speaker, we have the speaker of "grand corruption criminals" in the house.

Extremely low performance for national interests,better performance for her group and those who facilitated her to secure the post

Back
Top Bottom