History made as Tunisia votes

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
Tunisia votes in historic free election

_56228912_uavsrjej.jpg

Nearly 70% of voters have turned out to cast their ballot in Tunisia's election, the first free poll of the Arab Spring, officials say.Tunisians are electing a 217-seat assembly that will draft a constitution and appoint an interim government.Former President Zinedine el-Abidine Ben Ali was overthrown nine months ago after mass demonstrations.

Islamist party Ennahda is expected to win the most votes, though it is not clear if it will gain a majority.

Mr Ben Ali fled Tunisia on 14 January amid the first of several mass uprisings across the Arab world.

Campaigning in Tunisia has been marked by concerns over splits between Islamists and secularists, party funding and voter apathy.

"The national average is approaching 70%," said Kamel Jendoubi, the head of the independent organisation overseeing the elections.

He said in some districts the turnout was more than 80% and was still brisk, with polls due to close at 19:00 (18:00 GMT).

'Liberty and dignity'

Many voters emerged from polling stations holding up blue-stained index fingers - proud to show they had cast their ballots.
The mother of Mohamed Bouazizi, the young man whose self-immolation last December triggered the Tunisian revolt, told the Reuters news agency the election was a victory for dignity and freedom.

"Now I am happy that my son's death has given the chance to get beyond fear and injustice," Manoubia Bouazizi said. "I'm an optimist, I wish success for my country."

"I didn't sleep at all last night from excitement," voter Houcine Khlifi, 62, told the AFP news agency on Sunday morning as he was queuing to cast his ballot in central Tunis.

"Tunisia today offers to the world a bouquet of flowers of liberty and dignity."

High expectations

Unlike its eastern neighbour Libya, Tunisia's transition from authoritarian rule has been largely peaceful.
Ennahda, a moderate Islamist party, has sought to allay the fears of Tunisian secularists by stating its commitment to democracy and women's rights.

Its closest challenger is expected to be the secular, centrist Progressive Democratic Party (PDP).

Ennahda's leader, Rachid Ghannouchi, was heckled by a handful of secularist protesters as he left the polling station in Tunis where he voted.

The hecklers called him a terrorist and an assassin and shouted at him to return to London, where he spent 22 years in exile before returning to Tunisia in April.

But Mr Ghannouchi praised the electoral process, saying: "This is an historic day. Tunis was born again today; the Arab spring is born again today - not in a negative way of toppling dictators but in a positive way of building democratic systems, a representative system which represents the people."

There are more than seven million people of voting age. More than 100 parties have registered to participate, along with a number of independent lists.

Hundreds of foreign election observers and thousands of local ones will be monitoring the poll.The EU observer mission has said that the overall campaign has been transparent. This democratic moment carries an enormous burden of expectation, not just in Tunisia but across the Arab world, says the BBC's Allan Little, in the capital, Tunis.

Tunisians led the Arab Spring; they know the world will be watching this key stage in the transition, he says.
There seems here an overwhelming popular will to succeed, our correspondent adds.

Mr Ben Ali was ousted on 14 January after weeks of popular protest and fled to Saudi Arabia.

However, in the nine months since then, the economy has worsened as business and tourists stay away.

Results are expected by Monday.

The new assembly is expected to draft a new constitution within a year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15416702

_56228443_mcmu29k9.jpg

Islamist leader Rachid Ghannouchi showed off his blue stained finger, proof that he had cast his ballot. His Ennahda Party was banned under ousted President Ben Ali but it forecast the largest share of the votes in this election.

_56228916_fquc7awt.jpg

_56228914_6as89fpv.jpg

_56228439_04v7ol5t.jpg

_56228919_0wv0ru6l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom