Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

Henry could face FIFA sanction

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Ng'wanza Madaso, Dec 2, 2009.

  1. Ng'wanza Madaso

    Ng'wanza Madaso JF-Expert Member

    #1
    Dec 2, 2009
    Joined: Oct 21, 2008
    Messages: 2,276
    Likes Received: 58
    Trophy Points: 145
    Henry could face FIFA sanction

    Wednesday, 2 December 2009 16:12

    Thierry Henry is to be investigated by FIFA's disciplinary committee over his handball against the Republic of Ireland in the second leg of the World Cup play-off on 18 November.

    The incident was the subject of detailed discussion in an emergency meeting of the FIFA executive committee in Cape Town today.

    FIFA president Sepp Blatter told a news conference: 'The disciplinary will open a case on the behaviour of the player Thierry Henry.'


    Asked why FIFA were making a special case of Henry, he added: 'This is a matter of the disciplinary committee and it's not a question of this player or another - it was a blatant unfair playing and was shown all around the world, but I don't know what the outcome will be.'
    Blatter insisted that there was no certainty Henry would be banned.

    He said: 'I have not said that Thierry Henry will be punished, I have said that Thierry Henry will be examined by the disciplinary committee of FIFA.'

    Blatter said players should realise that the eyes of the world will be on them next summer.

    'I appeal to all the players and coaches to observe this fair play. In 2010 we want to prove that football is more than just kicking a ball but has social and cultural value,' he added.

    'So we ask the players 'please observe fair play' so they will be an example to the rest of the world.'

    Blatter also revealed the Football Association of Ireland had withdrawn their bid to be included as a 33rd country in the World Cup and apologised for his comments earlier this week suggesting it had not been considered seriously.

    'We have received a letter from the FAI withdrawing their demand to be accepted as team number 33.

    'I would like to express my regrets to a wrong interpretation of what I said and to the FAI I'm sorry about the headlines going around the world. I have nothing against the Irish, they were very sporting when they came to FIFA.'
     
  2. Mchaga

    Mchaga JF-Expert Member

    #2
    Dec 3, 2009
    Joined: Apr 11, 2008
    Messages: 1,372
    Likes Received: 7
    Trophy Points: 135
    HENRY FACING FIFA BAN
    Posted 02/12/09 15:39EmailPrintSave

    World Cup - Top Goalscorer: Henry, T. 33/1
    Thierry Henry is facing the prospect of being banned from the start of next summer's World Cup finals after FIFA announced their disciplinary committee had opened proceedings against the French striker for his infamous handball.

    The incident in the World Cup play-off against the Republic of Ireland was the main subject of an emergency meeting of the FIFA executive committee in Cape Town today.

    However, the body rejected a proposal - brought in response to the handball - to fast-track the experimental system of having five officials on the pitch, with two extra assistant referees behind each goal-line, for the World Cup.

    FIFA president Sepp Blatter announced the proceedings against Henry at a news conference and although he added it was too early to speculate on the outcome, the Barcelona forward could face a range of sanctions, with a one-match ban perhaps the most likely.

    Asked why FIFA were making a special case of Henry when so many players commit handballs, Blatter said: "This is a matter of the disciplinary committee and it's not a question of this player or another - it was blatant unfair play and was shown all around the world, but I don't know what the outcome will be."

    "I have not said that Thierry Henry will be punished, I have said that Thierry Henry will be examined by the disciplinary committee of FIFA."

    Blatter said players should realise that the eyes of the world will be on them next summer.

    "I appeal to all the players and coaches to observe this fair play. In 2010 we want to prove that football is more than just kicking a ball but has social and cultural value," he added.

    "So we ask the players, 'Please observe fair play', so they will be an example to the rest of the world."

    The handball led to William Gallas' decisive goal that ended Irish dreams of reaching the World Cup. The outcry has now led to FIFA being pressed to announce an inquiry into the possibility of using technology or extra officials.

    Blatter said the World Cup would come too soon to allow the inclusion of the system currently being trialled in the Europa League, and he was backed up by German executive committee member Franz Beckenbauer.

    The FIFA president said: "The executive committee came to the decision that the referee is not any longer consistent with the quality and the speed of the game and the interest of television and 32 cameras as we will have in the World Cup.

    "We shall have a look at technology or additional persons and this shall be done by a committee but not the referees committee alone, it will be done by the football, technical and medical committees too.

    "The experiments with the Europa League shall go on into the knock-out stages next year but it has been decided for the World Cup 2010 there is no change in the refereeing: one referee, two assistants and a fourth official."

    Beckenbauer told Press Association Sport: "Only referees in the Europa League will have used this system. Referees from Africa and South America and everywhere else would have had to arrive at the World Cup to use this new system for the first time and I don't think it is fair to ask that of them."

    FIFA also warned Argentina coach Diego Maradona not to try to circumvent his two-month ban from football activities by turning up to Friday's draw with media accreditation.

    Maradona was banned for an X-rated outburst live on television following Argentina's last-gasp qualification for the finals.

    FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke said: "If he shows up for accreditation - no way. It's not just football matches he has been banned by the disciplinary committee but for all football activities.

    "There has been rumours he could join the Argentina delegation but we will say 'please be aware he is banned and make sure he is not coming'.

    "If he's coming as a journalist for a media company his accreditation will not be delivered. He can come to South Africa but not into the FIFA system. He's banned for two months but he will be here for the World Cup."
     
  3. Kibunango

    Kibunango JF-Expert Member

    #3
    Jan 18, 2010
    Joined: Aug 29, 2006
    Messages: 7,558
    Likes Received: 122
    Trophy Points: 160
    Thierry Henry escapes Fifa ban over handball

    [​IMG]
    Striker Thierry Henry will not be punished by Fifa for his handball in France's World Cup finals play-off victory over the Republic of Ireland.

    The world governing body's disciplinary committee concluded there was "no legal foundation" to deal with the case.

    The Barcelona striker handled the ball twice in the build-up to the decisive extra-time goal from William Gallas.

    The Republic did not qualify for the 2010 World Cup and Fifa rejected a request to have the match replayed.

    Previously, Fifa president Sepp Blatter said former Arsenal player Henry was guilty of "blatant unfair playing" but stopped short of calling for him to be punished.

    Henry's defence argued successfully that Fifa's disciplinary code does not give the committee the ability to punish such incidents, something the committee accepted.

    "Handling the ball cannot be regarded as a serious infringement as stipulated in the Fifa disciplinary code," said a statement.

    "There is no other legal text that would allow the committee to impose sanctions for any incidents missed by match officials."

    Henry's handball caused an international furore, with the Republic claiming they had been "cheated" out of a place in the World Cup and demanding a replay.

    The extra-time goal meant the match in Paris ended 1-1, with France going through 2-1 on aggregate.

    Henry, 32, apologised over the incident and later admitted it left him contemplating whether to quit international football.

    On the back of the controversy surrounding the incident, Fifa met at Cape Town to consider goal-line technology and extra referees at the World Cup.

    However, the sport's governing body decided against using additional referees in South Africa and have instead opted to set up an inquiry into the benefits of video technology and extra officials.

    Source: BBC Sport
     
  4. Ab-Titchaz

    Ab-Titchaz Content Manager Staff Member

    #4
    Jan 19, 2010
    Joined: Jan 30, 2008
    Messages: 14,702
    Likes Received: 15
    Trophy Points: 0
    This is really unnecessary jamani.
    Mbona Maradonna hakufanywa kitu alipofunga bao na mkono?
    The issue is gone and lets move on. Hawa FIFA sasa wanabore.

    If they want true justice, basi wangesema mechi irudiwe.
     
  5. Ab-Titchaz

    Ab-Titchaz Content Manager Staff Member

    #5
    Jan 19, 2010
    Joined: Jan 30, 2008
    Messages: 14,702
    Likes Received: 15
    Trophy Points: 0
    Thank You!!!
     
Loading...