Free Dedan Kimathi!!!

Lole Gwakisa

JF-Expert Member
Nov 5, 2008
In my primary school days I used to appreciate with awe the dreaded Mai Mau warriors.
Once one of our school teachers raised a hoax, that they were in town!!
The hullaballoo that ensued was dramatic, and of course thte teacher reprimanded.
I then started to bore into the history of Mau Mau and their freedom fighters.
They were not communists or anything but purely Africans who resisted domination.
I saluted them then and I salute them now.
My Hero, Dedan Kimathi, though long dead is still languishing in the shadows of recognition as a real and dedicated freedom fighter.To me he goes down into the mists of time but will not be frgotten.

I can place him in the same compound as our Chief Mkwawa and Kinjeketile who refused to bow to the colonialists.
The legacy of Dedan Kimathi Waciuri must be internationally noted.

True. Dedan Kimathi was a true freedom fighter. The irony is, u always side with 'freedom spoilers' in ur posts. I long for a boy in u who appreciated Mau Mau warriors! Ooh Lole, get younger!

dedan kimathi!!!! he is was a selfless fierce warrior. i cant call myself a kenyan if it wasnt for men like him.

can you imagine where Africa would be if it wasn't for men like kimathi, kinjeketile, mandela, menelik etc etc??????

True. Dedan Kimathi was a true freedom fighter. The irony is, u always side with 'freedom spoilers' in ur posts. I long for a boy in u who appreciated Mau Mau warriors! Ooh Lole, get younger!
Ha ha
Brother,I am a true Africanist, whose blood boils with every African who fought for a just cause.

dedan kimathi!!!! he is was a selfless fierce warrior. i cant call myself a kenyan if it wasnt for men like him.
In African history there are few people like him.
It is unfortunate, and it pains me for Kimathi to be uncelebrated.

Dedan Kimathi Waciuri (truly, Kimathi wa Waciuri), (31 October 1920 – 18 February 1957) was a Kenyan rebel leader who fought against the British colonial government in Kenya in the 1950s. He was convicted and executed in 1957 for murder and terrorism.
The British colonial government that ruled Kenya considered him a terrorist, as did the many Kenyans who opposed the Mau Maus.[SUP][1][/SUP] The Mau Mau killed at least two thousand Kenyan civilians,[SUP][1][/SUP] 32 European settlers, and 200 British and Kenyan soldiers in the eight year uprising. The British and Kenyan military units killed 20,000 Mau Mau rebels in combat, hanged over 1000 suspected Mau Mau supporters, and interned more than 70,000 Kikuyu civilians.[SUP][2][/SUP] Former Mau Mau viewed Kimathi as a freedom fighter, although many of the Kikuyu viewed him as a terrorist, due to the predations of the Mau-Mau and to the atrocities committed by the Mau Mau upon them.[SUP][3][/SUP] A particularly good source of turned agents for the Government forces were those former Mau Mau escaping from summary justice handed out by Kimathi, which was followed by death by strangulation. As Kimathi's own band became fewer in number and the government forces became more adept at limiting his movement, Kimathi became more and more paranoid and would execute members of his own band for almost random reasons, usually suspicion of 'spying'.[SUP][4][/SUP] In the end the main force against the remaining Mau Mau led by Kimathi consisted entirely of former Mau Mau who were now working for the Government. The capture of Kimathi was aided by their knowledge and skills because of the vast areas of rough terrain which hid the Mau Mau and Kimathi

On February 18, 1957, Dedan Kimathi was executed by the colonialists at the notorious Kamiti Maximum Prison, where his remains are still believed to be buried in an unmarked grave. This has been a very contentious issue among Kenyans, and indeed other prominent African nationalists like President Nelson Mandela, who believe that Kimathi is a legendary figure and should be accorded a state burial with full rights. Such requests have fallen on deaf ears for reasons nobody can/or will ever comprehend. In fact, on President Mandela's last visit to Kenya in 1990, he almost caused a major embarrassment to President Moi's administration when he inquired about the whereabouts of Kimathi's widow.

FREE DEDAN KIMATHI'S SPIRIT

Back
Top Bottom