European charities 'want Africa to remain poor'

Askari Kanzu

JF-Expert Member
Jan 7, 2011
European charities 'want Africa to remain poor'
mandelsonpix.jpg

British politician and peer Peter Mandelson. Photo | FILE | By TABU BUTAGIRA

European humanitarian organisations are involved in a conspiracy to keep Africa in the throes of poverty, a former senior European Union official who is is now is a British peer has said.

Lord Peter Mandelson, the ex-EU Trade commissioner, told a summit on Africa in London that European charities opposed his attempts to re-negotiate trade agreements that would afford Africa more commercial opportunities.

“When I tried to re-negotiate EU’s trade rules, which were expiring [and] were not delivering on economic development, who were the people trying to silence me? he posed. “It was the European NGOs. It was shocking!”

The former UK Secretary of State for Business spoke at this week's The Times Africa CEO Africa Summit held at the Savoy Hotel, the second annual such conference organised by the Rupert Murdoch-owned newspaper.

Lord Mandelson did not offer specifics of the NGOs or provide details of their disapproval. His revelations, however, will lend credence to complaints by governments on the continent, including lately in Kampala, that Western charities have other unfriendly agenda.

Mr James Harding, editor of The Times, said the newspaper aims to raise awareness about Africa’s potential as a lucrative investment destination, and not a basket case of conflict, corruption and communal violence.

The story of real opportunities in Africa, he said, was being missed by western media.

Africa Review

My take:
Pure philanthropist talk from Lord Mandelson. What action/s did he take against this when he was EU Trade Commissioner?

this guy had/could do little in the foray but only point out what our leaders have been reduced to in this competitive world. Dont curse the messenger, our leaders are very aware of this conspiracy but effortlessly watch and dish out for grants for lack of counter moves.look at zimbabwe, look at libya, nigeria, egypt (all had a resonance for independence)...any country that voices against the west is doomed to succumb economically, be faced with political turmoil, worse they (the west) carry out an invasion on you.. Home made Innovations is the only gatepass to liberation, China did it, Brazil and Malaysia too...why not Africa?

this guy had/could do little in the foray but only point out what our leaders have been reduced to in this competitive world. Dont curse the messenger...
I am not cursing the messenger. I just find it strange that the likes of Lord Mendelson tend to raise their "moralistic opinions" from a peripheral standpoint. Did he not see this when he was in a decision making position? That's why I find his observations full of double standards (remember the philanthropists during the slave trade?)

Back
Top Bottom