Does a spider know it is a spider?

Mcqueenen

JF-Expert Member
Nov 2, 2019
One of the tough nuts humans have struggled to crack is consciousness. that is because it is tough to even define it.

However, today I Mr. Mc, would argue that the best definition of consciousness is the one that leans towards explaining about consciousness as the ability to know. And to know that you know.

Ofcourse it's not easy to prove that we know anything let alone we know that we know. But I think it's a good start.

For example you know you are Mr/Mrs.___

You know that you are an object in the universe, a human being living on a planet in a society.
You know your needs and desires for survival.

You know your friends and enemies.

You know what is the best pattern of conduct or behavior to follow inorder to survive and thrive.

You have agendas,fears and desires

That knowledge/awareness of those things is concsiousness.

The question is, Is a spider aware of those? Does it know it is a spider?

Does it know it needs food,shelter and mates?

Does it know it has enemies?

Is a spider conscious?

unataka kuwa buibui nini mkuu..

Yeye anajijua yeye kama yeye tu hilo jina la spider umemtungia wewe...lakini unaweza kumuita kwa majina mengi kama unajua lugha zote za duniani.

Naona mkuu unapenda akili za wadudu...

Nakukumbusha tu mwaka huu kuna MAHINDI mengi sana.

The spider itself doesn't even know how it came into existence and you want it to be bothered with the name

One of the tough nuts humans have struggled to crack is consciousness. that is because it is tough to even define it.

However, today I Mr. Mc, would argue that the best definition of consciousness is the one that leans towards explaining about consciousness as the ability to know. And to know that you know.

Ofcourse it's not easy to prove that we know anything let alone we know that we know. But I think it's a good start.

For example you know you are Mr/Mrs.___

You know that you are an object in the universe, a human being living on a planet in a society.
You know your needs and desires for survival.

You know your friends and enemies.

You know what is the best pattern of conduct or behavior to follow inorder to survive and thrive.

You have agendas,fears and desires

That knowledge/awareness of those things is concsiousness.

Is a spider conscious?
Hivi nikikuuliza wewe unaitwa nani utanijibu nini?

We are like robots, pretending we know something while we know nothing about ourselves, sisi ni kama mifugo tu, nimifugo inajifanya inaakili wakati hatujui nani anatufuga na madhumuni yake ni nini. We know nothing about our existence, naamini uwepo wetu unasababu, huwezi kufuga mfugo usio na faida.

Is a spider conscious?
Bro

The spider is intelligent.

Any intelligent thing can do those things and some more.

Now there are robots which are intelligent too. Actually it is the softwares that run those robots.

In todays word there are both kinds of humans; The intelligents and the intelligent plus conscious. All conscious beings are intelligent to start with (different levels of intelligence do exist depending on degree of learning). Intelligence is a prerequiste to consciousness. But not all intelligent beings are conscious, it is not a must.

Note this very seriously: An intelligent human being who is not yet conscious believes and lives all his life knowing that intelligence is similar to consciousness. He thinks maybe consciousnes is just another level of knowing (which is somewhat true! It is the NEXT LEVEL). Because intelligence is all he knows. He has no knowledge of the other. In other words: he doesnt know what he doesnt know.

Does a spider knows it’s a spider, this is very interesting question, so another question comes, do you know you’re human,if you say you do know, how do you know?

Honestly to answer this question, first we must understand how does our mind works.
The beginning of the mind starts as an empty with a firmware-like structure, firmware is like a built in intuition or for animals instinct, the survival instinct.

So what makes up the mind we have now is information, everything we think we know we have been taught and/or experienced

The reason you know you’re human it’s because you were told that you’re human, nobody told a spider that it’s a spider. So the spider doesn’t know it’s a spider and it doesn’t care to know. And it’s natural path of life will happen regardless.

Pengine ntakuja kuandika uzi kuelezea, what is a person and how does it all work, tafauti kidogo na maandiko ya vitabuni.

Bro

The spider is intelligent.

Any intelligent thing can do those things and some more.

Now there are robots which are intelligent too. Actually it is the softwares that run those robots.

In todays word there are both kinds of humans; The intelligents and the intelligent plus conscious. All conscious beings are intelligent to start with (different levels of intelligence do exist depending on degree of learning). Intelligence is a prerequiste to consciousness. But not all intelligent beings are conscious, it is not a must.

Note this very seriously: An intelligent human being who is not yet conscious believes and lives all his life knowing that intelligence is similar to consciousness. He thinks maybe consciousnes is just another level of knowing (which is somewhat true! It is the NEXT LEVEL). Because intelligence is all he knows. He has no knowledge of the other. In other words: he doesnt know what he doesnt know.
Okay, so what's the difference between intelligence and consciousness?

Does a spider knows it’s a spider, this is very interesting question, so another question comes, do you know you’re human,if you say you do know, how do you know?

Honestly to answer this question, first we must understand how does our mind works.
The beginning of the mind starts as an empty with a firmware-like structure, firmware is like a built in intuition or for animals instinct, the survival instinct.
So what makes up the mind we have now is information, everything we think we know we have been taught and/or experienced
The reason you know you’re human it’s because you were told that you’re human, nobody told a spider that it’s a spider. So the spider doesn’t know it’s a spider and it doesn’t care to know. And it’s natural path of life will happen regardless.

Pengine ntakuja kuandika uzi kuelezea, what is a person and how does it all work, tafauti kidogo na maandiko ya vitabuni.
I get you. But when I said ''does a spider know it's a spider'' I didn't literally mean 'does it know it's called a spider?'

I meant does it know it is a spider as in the concept of a spider? (An eight-legged predatory insect with an unsegmented body consisting of a fused head and thorax and a rounded abdomen. having fangs that inject venom into their prey, and most also spins webs in which to capture insects/prey.)

If you grew up alone in the forests, you might not know the name you are called (a human) but you'd know what you are.
That is; a bipedal primate mammal capable of language and reason.-A human.

I can see the barrier of language as it is just a tool of representing concepts and abstractions. Language is not reality but it's a tool we use to communicate reality. Mistaking it with reality is like mistaking Mtwara and a map of Mtwara.

So the question is not if the spider knows it's name in any of our human languages. But rather it is a question of knowledge. Does a spider know anything or is it purely driven by instincts??

We are like robots, pretending we know something while we know nothing about ourselves, sisi ni kama mifugo tu, nimifugo inajifanya inaakili wakati hatujui nani anatufuga na madhumuni yake ni nini. We know nothing about our existence, naamini uwepo wetu unasababu, huwezi kufuga mfugo usio na faida.
Anhaa kumbe hata sisi sio conscious?? Kwasababu hatujui chochote?

I get you. But when I said ''does a spider know it's a spider'' I didn't literally mean 'does it know it's called a spider?'

I meant does it know it is a spider as in the concept of a spider? (An eight-legged predatory insect with an unsegmented body consisting of a fused head and thorax and a rounded abdomen. having fangs that inject venom into their prey, and most also spins webs in which to capture insects/prey.)

If you grew up alone in the forests, you might not know the name you are called (a human) but you'd know what you are.
That is; a bipedal primate mammal capable of language and reason.-A human.

I can see the barrier of language as it is just a tool of representing concepts and abstractions. Language is not reality but it's a tool we use to communicate reality. Mistaking it with reality is like mistaking Mtwara and a map of Mtwara.

So the question is not if the spider knows it's name in any of our human languages. But rather it is a question of knowledge. Does a spider know anything or is it purely driven by instincts??

So in that regard your question should be “does a spider have awareness of self? Or is the spider self aware?

To be self aware is when you recognize yourself, is when you can look in the mirror and see yourself as a living and existing entity, it doesn’t matter whether you have a name or what others consider you to be.
Also to be self aware you must first have self, now what is self?
For us humans self is a spirit, so in us spirit is self aware, it recognize itself, it knows it exist, self is what occupies the body to live through its existing time in this existence.

So when it comes to spiders or any other animals giving our limited understanding of nature we can rule out as they don’t have spirit ,so the awareness of self is not there, but in reality there is no way to know whether they have some sort of spirit.

This subject is very complex, even science cannot answer this question with certainty, there are natural laws or barriers between humans,animals and plants so there is no way to know for sure how aware they are or if they are aware at all,or how and what they think.

Okay, so what's the difference between intelligence and consciousness?
I’m going to shed some light on this question.
There is a difference between consciousness and intelligence in humans
Consciousness comes from sprit and intelligence comes from soul
Consciousness has intuition and soul through the mind has intellect
Intuition can not be taught, intellect have to be taught and/or experienced

Ntaishia hapa kwa sasa but maybe your next question should be what’s the difference between sprit and soul. We people are confused about these two entities in us,cause we were never taught about this. We think a person is a soul, but in reality a person is a spirit