Bomb victims cry foul over valuation

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
Bomb victims cry foul over valuation Sunday, 27 February 2011 21:43

victimhelp.jpg

Thendo John (left) and Fadhila Suleiman carry a bale of clothes donated by Super Sip Ltd yesterday at the Gongo la Mboto barracks in Dar es Salaam where ammunitions exploded nearly two weeks ago. PHOTO | MICHAEL JAMSON

By The Citizen Correspondents
Dar es Salaam and Shinyanga. As the country awaits results of the evaluation of losses incurred from the Gongo la Mboto explosions, the Tanzania Peoples Defence Forces (TPDF) has detonated several bombs and explosives at Kizumbi camp in Shinyanga Region.

The move to detonate the munitions at Kizumbi camp was taken on account of the bombs nearing their expiry dates, according to TPDF.But reports from Shinyanga indicate that the controlled explosions, however, created apprehension among residents living near the camp.

In Gongo la Mboto, there was misunderstanding between the evaluators and the owners of the properties, some of which were completely destroyed.The evaluators refused to continue with the process on grounds that they could not evaluate properties which were non-existent.

Reports from people who witnessed the confrontation said the evaluators persisted that they should be shown the remains of the properties for them to be able to estimate their value.

This put the evaluators at loggerheads with affected families, who accused them of sabotage. The Citizen witnessed a heated exchange between the evaluators and the property owners.
"Don't show us something which is not there… We are only going to record something which we have physically witnessed. We have been directed to evaluate physical property only," said a member of the team of evaluators from the Disaster Management Unit of the Prime Minister's Office, identified only as Mr Christopher.

But the officer's statement infuriated the victims whose properties were completely destroyed by the powerful explosions which occurred on Feb 16, this year.A resident of the area who identified herself as Agnes said after a number of excuses from the authorities, they have now lost trust in the evaluation process.

"We sensed that this exercise would not be fair… But as if what happened to us was not painful enough, they have now started using abusive language… as if they are talking with their enemies and not victims," she said.

Another Gongo la Mboto resident, Ms Violet Sambiwa, said it was inhumane for the evaluators to treat victims like criminals.
"My property was completely burnt during the disaster and they want me to produce it; where do I get it from?...When I tell them that my property was razed to the ground, they don't seem to understand," she lamented.

Efforts by The Citizen to get a clarification from Christopher hit a snag after he refused to comment and insisted that his picture not be taken.

"Show me your identity cards before you start taking pictures here, otherwise you should leave this area immediately," he told the journalists.

However, after being shown the IDs, Mr Christopher insisted that he would not like his picture being taken and chased the journalists away on grounds that the evaluators' work did not require the presence of journalists.
Meanwhile, apprehension gripped Shinyanga residents after huge explosions dominated the air following controlled detonation of explosives at Kizumbi camp.

HTML:
 My property  was completely burnt during the disaster and they want me to produce it;  where do I get it from?...When I tell them that my property was razed  to the ground, they don't seem to understand," she lamented.

Poor lady!!

The move to detonate the munitions at Kizumbi camp was taken on account of the bombs nearing their expiry dates, according to TPDF.

Inakuaje tena hapo? Msemaji wa jeshi si alisema hayawezi kuexpire mabomu au? Huu ni ushahidi tosha kuwa jeshi limedanganya umma, nawashauri waathirika waungane waishitaki serikali wapate fidia.

Back
Top Bottom