Australia Open 2009: Tennis Grand Slam

Mbu

JF-Expert Member
Jan 11, 2007
...mzee OLE uko wapi??? unamuona kijana alivyokuja juu huyu? Ranked 4th, na tayari keshambwaga Federer twice, Nadal Once,...na tunaelekea wiki tatu za mwisho kabla ya Australian Open...

Mwaka huu? I bet Murray will climb to No2...
Andy Murray's flying start makes Pom favourite for Australian Open

That is because Murray has started 2009 so well. He beat Federer and Nadal in a pre-season exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi, and in Doha defeated the Swiss once more in Friday's semi-finals before finishing off the job by trumping American Andy Roddick. Murray's results in the Middle East could not have been better.

When the draw is made in Australia, Federer will not want Murray in his half, and Nadal would not like the world No 4 as a potential semi-final opponent either. And that is even though Murray's longest run on the Melbourne drawsheet was in 2007, when he made the fourth round and took Nadal to five sets, a match that finished around 2am. So Murray is yet to reach the business end of the Australian Open.

Aombee Federer na Nadal waumie but amejitahidi kuwatoa kimasomaso waingereza baada ya Tim Henman Kuchemka

The Australian open tennis tournament is the first grand slam event of the year. From 19 January - 1 February 2009, Melbourne Park Stadium will play host to all the top ranked tennis players in world tennis. The Australian open is a notoriously tough event, with searing temperatures often reaching 40 degrees and one of tennis's most coveted prizes, a grand slam title, up for grabs.

Australian Open Odds
MEN
Odds Roger Federer
3.45 Andy Murray
3.85 Rafael Nadal
5.5 Novak Djokovic

WOMEN
Odds Venus Williams
4.6 Serena Williams
5.2 Jelena Jankovic
6.8 Elena Dementieva

...venus is ou!...
Venus Williams dumped out of the Australian Open
For her appearance on the Rod Laver Arena, Venus Williams wore a dress from her own Eleven' range, a canary-yellow number.
But the Californian, who seemed to have put more pre-match thought into what she was going to wear on court than what she was going to do on court, was beaten in the second round of the Australian Open by an opponent from the Canary Islands, Carla Suarez Navarro, a 20-year-old ranked 46 in the world.

610x.jpg

Russia's Elena Dementieva reacts after losing a point to Serena Williams of the U.S. during their women's singles semi-final match at the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne January 29, 2009.

340x.jpg

Serena Williams of the United States of America celebrates winning match point in her semifinal match against Elena Dementieva of Russia during day eleven of the 2009 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on January 29, 2009 in Melbourne, Australia.

here we go again :D...

NADAL Vs FEDERER

...the Australian Open FINAL!​

IT IS SERENA AGAIN
Williams Routs Safina to Win Fourth Australian Open (Update2)
Email | Print | A A A

By Dan Baynes

Jan. 31 (Bloomberg) -- Serena Williams overpowered Dinara Safina to secure her fourth Australian Open tennis title and move to 10 career Grand Slams, ranking her seventh all-time.

No. 2 seed Williams routed the third-seeded Russian 6-0, 6- 3 in 59 minutes at Melbourne Park to extend her run of victories in odd years at the season-opening major that began in 2003.

Williams regains the No. 1 ranking she first captured in 2002 and moves above Monica Seles on the list of women's Grand Slam singles champions headed by Margaret Court with 24. The American won her third major in the past six.

"When I think of these greats I don't necessarily think of my name," Williams, 27, told reporters. "I think people are starting to think of me with them which is just uber-cool."

The match tied for the third-most lop-sided Australian Open final -- only Court in 1962 and Steffi Graf in 1994 won in fewer games -- as Safina found no way to counter the Williams serve and struggled with her own. Williams won 20 of 21 points on her first serve and struck 23 winners to Safina's 14.

"I was just a ball boy on the court," Safina, 22, said.

Williams failed to find her best form early in the tournament -- Russia's Svetlana Kuznetsova served for the match in their quarterfinal -- only to top hit gear in a semifinal defeat of Elena Dementieva and again today.

‘Got Through'

"The first week was tough but we got through it," Williams said. "I was playing lazy tennis in the beginning and was doubting myself."

Williams won back-to-back majors for the first time since the 2003 Australian Open, which also followed the U.S. Open title. The most recent player to achieve the feat was Belgium's Justine Henin in the same tournaments a year later.

Williams raced through the first set in 22 minutes, winning 26 of 34 points as Safina toiled to contain her powerful ground strokes and lacked accuracy with her serves.

Williams broke for a 2-0 lead in the opener as Safina double-faulted three times. After holding her service to love to make it 3-0, the American went 30-0 up with two volleys and clinched her second straight break with a smash.

Williams held to love again and broke for the third straight time to take the set when Safina made her ninth unforced error.

Safina worked her only break point in the opening game of the second set, which she converted with a cross-court backhand winner. The revival was short-lived as Williams broke straight back when Safina over-hit a backhand.

Match Point

Williams's 14th winner put her 2-1 ahead and Safina's fifth double fault handed her opponent another break before Williams took another game to love for a 4-1 lead.

Safina got her second game when Williams struck a shot into the net and fell 2-5 behind before holding to make Williams serve out for the win. After moving to match point with a forehand winner, Williams secured the title when Safina put a drop shot wide -- her 21st unforced error to Williams's seven.

Williams, who two days ago passed golfer Annika Sorenstam as the top prize money-earner in women's sports history, also beat Russia's Maria Sharapova for the loss of three games to win the Australian Open two years ago.

She collected A$2 million ($1.3 million) today to lift her career winnings to $23.4 million. She also won the doubles title in Melbourne with sister Venus yesterday.

"I think the doubles really helped me out this fortnight," she said, referring to her struggle to play at her best.

Brother-Sister

It was Williams's sixth win in seven career meetings with Safina, who advances to No. 2 in the rankings. Safina was bidding for her first Grand Slam after losing to Ana Ivanovic in last year's French Open final.

She was also trying to join Marat Safin as a Grand Slam champion to become the first brother and sister to win majors.

The other players with more majors than Williams are Steffi Graf (22), Helen Wills Moody (19), Martina Navratilova (18), Chris Evert (18) and Billie Jean King (12).

Source: Bloomberg.com: North American

...:D she is back! ...world number one ...again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...hii watake wasitake, Serena na Venus Williams ni best ever kuliko kina Davenport, Hingis, Steffi Graf nk...

Hawa wanakuwa Rank-dropped mpaka kwenye twenties, halafu ku prove ubora wao..wanarudi mpaka Number one again...how many times wafanye hivyo ndio wajulikane ni LEGENDS?

Serena Williams wins Australian Open, crashing Safina in 59 minutes
12:17 Sat 31 Jan 2009 - Petar Kostadinov

Serena Williams won one of her easiest Grand Slam finals on January 30 2009 when she crashed Russia's Dinara Safina at Australian Open in 6-0, 6-3. It was a win that not only came quickly, after just 59 minutes, but made Serena the world number one player for a third time in her career and came with 1$ million in prize money.

The first set was completely dominated by the powerful and aggressive play of Serena who was all over the court pressuring Safina at all times. She just could not find an answer to Serena's dominant style of play. Serene simply looked unstoppable, a demonstration of row power.

I'm loving to see blacks given equal chance and show their potentials.

Great stuff..

.....hii imenifurahisha sana. yaani hawa madada wanapokezana tu, huyu akitoka mapema, mwingine anahakikisha anaendeleza libeneke. quite inspiring. :)

....HONGERA KWA SERENA!!