Are you sabotaging your carreer?

Roulette

JF-Expert Member
Dec 15, 2010
Several of us were talking this morning about the frustrations of waiting for someone to do their job. I see it time and time again yet still find it surprising that some people just don't realize how damaging some actions can be to a career, a reputation, and a personal brand within your industry.
These five simple actions are why you aren't getting ahead:

• Being late or a no-show: Don't make someone else wait to do their job because you haven't done yours.
  • Not returning calls or email: When you ignore people or wait to reply, you are saying "your business is just not that important to me."
  • Doing just enough to get by: As my father used to say "If you are going to do a half-ass job, don't do it at all."
  • Complaining or assigning blame: Blah, blah, blah. No one cares. Really. They don't care. You are wasting my time, or someone else's.
  • Never saying thank you: This simplest of actions is the one most often forgotten. Appreciation is the most powerful tool you have. Use it.
Any one of the above actions can be detrimental to your career and can cause a client or customer to move on to someone else. Two or more? I think I see your problem. Are you guilty of any, some, or all of the above--and what others do you think should be added to the list? Change your ways today and you'll change your career and your life.It is that simple.

Source: Are You Sabotaging Your Own Career?

RR
I have come to an agreement to disagree with anything going this way
1. Five steps to achieve bla bla bla
2. Ten ways to improve bla bla bla.

Now you have to explain better for me to agree with your five action list. are you telling us that this list is a law?

RR
I have come to an agreement to disagree with anything going this way
1. Five steps to achieve bla bla bla
2. Ten ways to improve bla bla bla.

Now you have to explain better for me to agree with your five action list. are you telling us that this list is a law?
Not at all...
All I wanted to share here is the fact that sometimes we cry about the lack of recognition for the job we do, but at the same time we act in a way that would discourage anyone thinking about promoting us.
This list is an indicator of some of the common things we do that could jeopardize our chances...

Are those the only ways you could sabotage your career? noooooop.

Things happen, sometimes life can throw you with external causes, distractions (peoples'), limitations (based on social economic attitudes), and besides at times your fate can be entirely on someones hands. How do you handle that? just ask 'John Grisham' before he was published, some thought he was just a stupid lawyer. Cest la Vie.

Are those the only ways you could sabotage your career? noooooop.

Things happen, sometimes life can throw you with external causes, distractions (peoples'), limitations (based on social economic attitudes), and besides at times your fate can be entirely on someones hands. How do you handle that? just ask 'John Grisham' before he was published, some thought he was just a stupid lawyer. Cest la Vie.

I agree, they are not the only way, they are some of the things we do. It is the starting point of a reflection I wanted to have with you (JF members)...
Hapo in bold, I don't agree... it is not just life, it is YOUR life. Never let your fate be entirely on someone's hand. ni maisha yako mwenyewe.Your life, your rules...

I agree, they are not the only way, they are some of the things we do. It is the starting point of a reflection I wanted to have with you (JF members)...
Hapo in bold, I don't agree... it is not just life, it is YOUR life. Never let your fate be entirely on someone's hand. ni maisha yako mwenyewe.Your life, your rules...
Sijui huko dunia gani and JF is accessed by a global audience (the orange on ya id translates into a powerful member in the forum) sasa ushauri wako sijui ulikuwa una uwelekezea wapi, kwa sababu trust me you can be as clever as 'Einstein' or creative as 'Dyson' but your ideas need to be bought or convincing.

Au labda unaongelea waajiriwa tu pekee na wanaotaka kuajiriwa. Other wise Mod kuna vitu vingi sana argument yako inapwaya ni sawasawa na kujifanya unatoa ushauri kwa mtu usiomjua yupo kwenye circumstances zipi (you need to look at the wider perspective of things).

Kwi kwi kwi (Zakumi huyo), hoyaa sitaki ban maana na mimi mdomo wangu saa zingine (yaishe).

Sijui huko dunia gani and JF is accessed by a global audience (the orange on ya id translates into a powerful member in the forum)
What does this have to do with the topic???

sasa ushauri wako sijui ulikuwa una uwelekezea wapi, kwa sababu trust me you can be as clever as 'Einstein' or creative as 'Dyson' but your ideas need to be bought or convincing.
Well, sio ushahuri wangu, it is from FastCompany, a site professional site. You can read more about the author by clicking on her name.
I shared it on JF for the reason I mentioned earlier in this post.

Au labda unaongelea waajiriwa tu pekee na wanaotaka kuajiriwa.
Kwa hiyo umeona for other people building a carreer the advices are irrelevant? how so?unaweza kutufafanulia?

Other wise Mod kuna vitu vingi sana argument yako inapwaya ni sawasawa na kujifanya unatoa ushauri kwa mtu usiomjua yupo kwenye circumstances zipi (you need to look at the wider perspective of things).
Again, I said this is not from me, but I consider it as a starting point. If it is a starting point maana yake nakubali there is more to it than what is in the article. Toka mwanzo ya post yako this is the only line that looks coherant to me...

Kwi kwi kwi (Zakumi huyo), hoyaa sitaki ban maana na mimi mdomo wangu saa zingine (yaishe).
Back to incoherance again... yaishe yapi mkuu? yalianza wapi?

What does this have to do with the topic???

Well, sio ushahuri wangu, it is from FastCompany, a site professional site. You can read more about the author by clicking on her name.
I shared it on JF for the reason I mentioned earlier in this post.

Kwa hiyo umeona for other people building a carreer the advices are irrelevant? how so?unaweza kutufafanulia?

Again, I said this is not from me, but I consider it as a starting point. If it is a starting point maana yake nakubali there is more to it than what is in the article. Toka mwanzo ya post yako this is the only line that looks coherant to me...

Back to incoherance again... yaishe yapi mkuu? yalianza wapi?
Labda nimekothea jamani nithamee, naona kama vile unakuwa mkali for nothing. But clearly huyo mshauri alieandika dint consider independent minds maana sio kila mtu ana kutana na matatizo uliyo yaleta kwenye main post ndio maana wengine tukaingilia kati.

Lakini ukweli wenyewe kuna careers nyingi in life ambazo ni tegemezi, example a film director with no money needs a good script (kama hana ujuzi wakuandika), a studio and a backer to fund his project, a distributor and an audience. kuna mambo mengine meeeengi ambayo ni tegemezi ya wengine to make a successful blockbuster film 'that is life'. Therefore i dont know how this individual can not depend on external influence, wengi wameshindwa sio kwa ubovu bali opportunity hawakupata.

Ndio maana nikasema yaishe wee nipotezee tu mie nimekurupuka. Haina maana we umeanzisha chochote, tatizo ni mimi kuingilia kati mada though i thought kidogo you dint look at the bigger picture of life choices.

Labda nimekothea jamani nithamee, naona kama vile unakuwa mkali for nothing. But clearly huyo mshauri alieandika dint consider independent minds maana sio kila mtu ana kutana na matatizo uliyo yaleta kwenye main post ndio maana wengine tukaingilia kati.

Lakini ukweli wenyewe kuna careers nyingi in life ambazo ni tegemezi, example a film director with no money needs a good script (kama hana ujuzi wakuandika), a studio and a backer to fund his project, a distributor and an audience. kuna mambo mengine meeeengi ambayo ni tegemezi ya wengine to make a successful blockbuster film 'that is life'. Therefore i dont know how this individual can not depend on external influence, wengi wameshindwa sio kwa ubovu bali opportunity hawakupata.

Ndio maana nikasema yaishe wee nipotezee tu mie nimekurupuka. Haina maana we umeanzisha chochote, tatizo ni mimi kuingilia kati mada though i thought kidogo you dint look at the bigger picture of life choices.
I understand your point, and this is exactly why I wanted to share this article. It is not perfect, I know it. But it has some of the basic error some people do, and that can cost them.. They are not strategic errors in planing, they are not related to specific carreers, they are just related to the minimum level of professionalism.
I did not say that they are the ONLY factors (and I don't think the woman who wrote the article meant that neither), so your view on external factors is very pertinent.
Au ulitaka na mimi nianze kwa kusema: How can you sabotage your carreer, nitaje zile ninazo ziona mimi alafu niwaombe wachangiaji wote kutaja wanazo ziona wenyewe? it is another way of doing it... just not my way. :)

I understand your point, and this is exactly why I wanted to share this article. It is not perfect, I know it. But it has some of the basic error some people do, and that can cost them.. They are not strategic errors in planing, they are not related to specific carreers, they are just related to the minimum level of professionalism.
I did not say that they are the ONLY factors (and I don't think the woman who wrote the article meant that neither), so your view on external factors is very pertinent.
Au ulitaka na mimi nianze kwa kusema: How can you sabotage your carreer, nitaje zile ninazo ziona mimi alafu niwaombe wachangiaji wote kutaja wanazo ziona wenyewe? it is another way of doing it... just not my way. :)

My approach is that life is based on fact, realism and all angles needed (to be covered) to be successful on your understanding of the economical angle and nothing else (either you reach the epitome or you have failed). Therefore kumun'gunya ukweli amna either you made it or you loose it (based on wants or dream), kwa maana hiyo challenges differ.

Kwa maana hiyo huyo jamaa uliye m-quote if she/he was that much clever she/he would have covered all the angles of the careers ladder dont you think?

By the way im between Denver and Indiana usiku mwema (CIAO).

Don't I think?
Well, not necessarilly. It is not a scientific article about how and why people don't advance their career, it is just the expression of her personal frustration (on the morning she wrote this article) over people who don't do their job...
ukimsoma amesema:
I find it surprising that some people just don't realize how damaging some actions can be to a career, a reputation, and a personal brand within your industry.

These are the limits of her article, she only sails within this context.
So YES anaongea kuhusu walio ajiriwa peke yao, and yes, she talks only about internal factors, specificaly those related to career, reputation and personal brand. Zaidi ya hapo hii article haihusiki. That is where JF members take over now (considering they agree with this)
Soma tena conclusion yake uone... she was quite specific about the context. But as I mention, I did not bring this article because it is perfect, I bought it so we can develop this idea of people sabotaging their own career further.

RR na Zinjathropus apo juu, velentine is just some days to come...will you pair up 'for a cup of coffee'?

Back
Top Bottom