Will Uganda and Tanzania’s rebounding economies soon overtake Kenya’s?

more power to you mr. kenyan expert.

first of all i do not think you as a tanzanian you can tell me sh*t about the way we kenyans think and why we as kenyans think they way we do. therefore you calling me a liar makes you look very stupid and naive.

let me put it to you this way,

how many kenyans complain that all revenues from m-pesa go vodacom??? NONE!! why? first of all they do not know that, second kenyans do not care where M-PESA revenue goes as long as M-PESA is faithfully providing services to kenyans. case and point, i asked my friends aunt last year in july(may be june not sure which moth) if she knows that all the proceeds from m-pesa goes to UK and that the kenyan govt gets no single cent from that, she said no, then she went on to make a simple statement "sina time ya kufikiria maujinga kama hizo" ("i dont have time to think about crap like that"). she just doesnt care who is getting what from m-pesa as long as M-PESA is helping her with her banana business transactions.

OK i got the perfect way to illustrate my point to you.

during the safaricom IPO, the govt sold its stake to the public and kenyans in their droves went to buy the shares. this meant that vodacom will be by far the majority shareholder. did most kenyans know that? NO!!! if they had known that would happen, would they had refrained from participating in the IPO??? NO!!!! did they care about vodacom becoming the majority shareholder??? hell no!!! if vodacome becoming the majority shareholder meant that a common mwananchi investor will make money from the IPO, then f*ck the ownership structure. did all kenyans make money out of the IPO? NO do you hear kenyans complaining about that? NO. why? cuz some made money and others didnt. for those who didnt make money then tough luck cuz life goes on. you are not going to convience my best friend Maich to complain and protest because another kenyan unknown to him didnt make money from the IPO while Maich made almost a double profit from his investment.

matter of fact kenyans prefer to have vodacom controlling safaricom than the government having control over safcom.

i can give you example after example but the point is kenyans really dont care about who owns what business in kenya.

do your own research and ask as many kenyans as you can if they know who owns what big business in kenya and then ask this follow up question, "DO YOU CARE???" as a tanzanian you might be surprised by the responses you will get for the second question

i do not understand why some tanzanians do not accept that kenyans just have a different way of thinking. kenyans have mastered the art of surving because WE DO NOT HAVE A GOVERNMENT THAT CAN TAKE CARE OF "US" SO A COMMON MWANANCHI HAS TO FOCUS ON "ME" FIRST AND OTHERS SECOND. thats just how we do, you might not like it or understand it but thats just the kenyan way. it is our strength and it is our undoing but thats just who we are.

I'm tired of arguing with narrow minded people, what you have put down is just blah blah. Does not hold water at all. We need the substance that has gravity, not crap.
Teh, teh .... For you M-Pesa is very great deal, that you can be proud of. Pole mkenya.

I didnt espect such utterance from the member of JF.
Mod we gave you a sword on yuor hands.

Stop lying, you know me son, you should expect anything, and truth is that the dude is a fruit, why you arguing? And it aint bad, we all make our own decision, despite he daent knw what a fruit is, thats why he is abusing me, and ohh you are on ma ignorelist Abdul, will never ever respond to your post.

Enjoy your weekend mates, dont drink and drive. OUT

ChokoS mattako said:
Stop lying, you know me son, you should expect anything, and truth is that the dude is a fruit, why you arguing? And it aint bad, we all make our own decision, despite he daent knw what a fruit is, thats why he is abusing me, and ohh you are on ma ignorelist Abdul, will never ever respond to your post.

Enjoy your weekend mates, dont drink and drive. OUT
..and who said I need a response from you nyang'au? Hebu potea huko.

There is no way Tanzania's and Ugandas economies will overtake Kenya's,only in dreams.What factors show that kenya's economic growth will be constant?when KANU/ Moi was in power Kenya had recorded a negative economic growth rate of about -2%,but when Narc came to power we had realised a growth rate of 7% by '07 prior to the general elections.
It is saddening we had post election violence which adversely affected all areas of the economy,from Agriculture,Tourism,Transport etc.This crisis brought us almost to our knees that's why we are projecting our economy will grow by 3.4-4.5% this year,we are back on track.
Whoever is dreaming that UG and TZ will beat kenya in the near future should wake up.Kenya is developing despite the miminal economic growth we have recorded in the pasr two years.
Their is a big gap between economic growth and economic development.Economic growth does not neccessarily translate into economic development.Economic development focuseson the social and technological progress within a given period of time,this requires people to be more innovative since there will need to change the way services and goods are produced not merely an incease in production using the primitive methods of production on a wider scale.Economic growth is simply an increase in quantitative output and it may not involve development.An economy can grow even in times of war,the trade in weopons and other war necessities can trigger an economy to grow but does it mean development? NO.
Kenyan economy is driven by it's intelligent and dedicated citizens,they are very innovative.Do you know that Mpesa was an idea of a university student in Nairobi University?infact there is a case pending in court,where this young man sued the govt and Safaricom.Right now Mpesa is an force to reckon with in business and social life.
We may deny it but kenyans have shown the resillience that no other citizen of any african country can afford.This is the why they have not been relying on any donor for budgetary support,they support their own budget and still servicing their external debt.Unlike UG and TZ who are ever holding begging bowls.
The role foreiners plays in kenyan economy is kidogo sana.Kenyans have built companies,which have taken the region by storm. Equity,Cooperative,and KCB banks,Nakumatt,Tusky's Supermarkets and many more.Most profitable companies in the region are Kenyan.This is the economic developent we are talking about.Uganda is already complaining that their oil will benefit only kenya .
The growth UG and Tz have is mostly due to a large presence of kenyan investments in this countries,our talents and capital.Rwanda is the IT hub in the region thanks to Kenyan IT professionals.
The only setback we have is poor leadership and tribalism but we are working hard by the special grace of God to overcome this.We are building a new port in Lamu which will serve S.Sudan and Ethiopia and a major highway from lamu to juba and addiss ababa.This is economic development.Kenyans are set to control this region economically we will change things the Kenyan way,we will not entetain mediocrity.
Ugandans are equally sharp their only problem is leadership and location.The writer has pointed out the attitude of Tanzania vis a vi Uganda towards kenya.
It is true kenyans feel more at home in Uganda than TZ,ugandans are more accomondative than our dear brothers in Tz,its amazing.!!
Therefore what we should focus on if we are to build EAF is economic development.let us empower the good citizens of E.A to own thier economy.

Inspite of all what we have been going through, we,as Kenyans, are still marching on.

The future does not look that bad for us stop doing even better economically.

We have better infrastracture than there was ten years ago.

Communication is bringing a kind of revolution.

People are more connected to each other than ever before. They are doing bussineses
over their phones.

With the introduction of fibre optic cable, it means more bussinesses. In two years time,
more people will find way into services and other things.

As is with telephony, where you find most shops and small kiosk selling credit cards for
air time, selling phones and doing other services like repairing these gatgets, internet is about
to bring more wonders.

Computers are zero rated in terms of taxation and so, many people are acquiring them.
It used to be taken as a luxurious item but now people are treating computers as a
neccesity.

With all the shouting and misunderstandings,squabbles, pushing and pullings, that is in
the political atmophere, people are still learning how to undertand each other.

We have had no political detenees for more than fifteen years now na hio ni maendeleo.

Today, the president and the prime minister, in one platform, assured
Kenyans that we will get a new katiba and told all those MP's trying to pull it down to
tow the line.

It might help to bring more order in the political scene. This is the only thing which has
been letting us down.

It is the human resource which matters here and nothing has stopped.

If we overcame the Post Elections Periods and we are still growing though slower than
we were expected, there is all the hope and will.

I for once did not think we will be where we are now after experiencing what we did.

So we have not stopped , we're still moving, we might make a dash forward, in the near
future, and that is economically.

A man under pressure will look and find a way out.

Man is very creative if given chances and the right atmophere.

People are not the same. They think differently and behave differently.

Do not limit a man capabilities to do things.

The strongest countries economically are the ones that has given their
citizens enough room for them to be creative and so create more chances
and so more jobs.

A man is not a machine, he is a creator.

Capitalism has tried to do this though it needs some kind of controls and
checks.

Too much of everything is dangerous.

We have seen this with petroleum companies here in Kenya where they
can gang up and agree on prices and so make these expensive.

They are supposed to compete like the way the Safaricom, Zein, Yu, Orange
have, and brought down the prices of making phone calls at the same time created
millions of chances for Kenyans.

One can make a call for 4 kshs per minute comparing to over kshs 40 ten years ago.

I'm tired of arguing with narrow minded people, what you have put down is just blah blah. Does not hold water at all. We need the substance that has gravity, not crap.
Teh, teh .... For you M-Pesa is very great deal, that you can be proud of. Pole mkenya.

to call you stupid would be giving you way too much credit dumbass

to call you stupid would be giving you way too much credit dumbass
By the way M-pesa idea is not even Kenyan but Vodafone plc', and the first country to receive money through electronic tranfer medium was DRC-Congo! soldiers were paid their dues as a result of remoteness of that country! Vodafone plc decided to put a pilot project in Kenya and it works, therefore there is nothing of Kenyan invention in M-pesa! Acha ku-exaggerate mambo! kuwa creative kijana!

It is hard for Tanzania and Uganda to overtake Kenya economically for they would have done so during Moi's time and when we had all those chaos.

Unless something very bad happenes like the repeat of what took place during last time we had that infamous general elections.

The political alliances which caused divisions among the people are breaking up.
We have come out of all this wiser than before.

Our resource, the human resource has not depleted. We are having new graduates
coming out of colleges and universities all the time.

Another thing, Kenya does not need the East African intergration for it owns benefit, it is doing
this because it is the tread this days.

People are coming together and it is only Africa which will be left in those kijiji like countries
for others to manupilate us.

Think of Kenya, TZ or Ug doing bussinesses with India, a country of a population of about one billion people.

We should give up our small egos and make this continent great and its people proud.

We do not need to compete against each other but to come together and make a big economic
block for others to take us serious.

For the time being, we are just a joke.

Delusional fools wanaongelea Kenya haitafikiwa na UG na TZ as if Kenya is some kind of US, Singapore or Japan..lolz..

Keep on dreaming, ok labda tujikumbushe takwimu za hapo juu kidogo kwa manufaa tu ya recap.

The correspondent Gross Domestic Products (GDPs) in billions of dollars were as follows in 2008; Kenya 62.4, Tanzania 55, Uganda 41

There is no way Tanzania's and Ugandas economies will overtake Kenya's,only in dreams.What factors show that kenya's economic growth will be constant?when KANU/ Moi was in power Kenya had recorded a negative economic growth rate of about -2%,but when Narc came to power we had realised a growth rate of 7% by '07 prior to the general elections.
It is saddening we had post election violence which adversely affected all areas of the economy,from Agriculture,Tourism,Transport etc.This crisis brought us almost to our knees that's why we are projecting our economy will grow by 3.4-4.5% this year,we are back on track.
Whoever is dreaming that UG and TZ will beat kenya in the near future should wake up.Kenya is developing despite the miminal economic growth we have recorded in the pasr two years.
Their is a big gap between economic growth and economic development.Economic growth does not neccessarily translate into economic development.Economic development focuseson the social and technological progress within a given period of time,this requires people to be more innovative since there will need to change the way services and goods are produced not merely an incease in production using the primitive methods of production on a wider scale.Economic growth is simply an increase in quantitative output and it may not involve development.An economy can grow even in times of war,the trade in weopons and other war necessities can trigger an economy to grow but does it mean development? NO.
Kenyan economy is driven by it's intelligent and dedicated citizens,they are very innovative.Do you know that Mpesa was an idea of a university student in Nairobi University?infact there is a case pending in court,where this young man sued the govt and Safaricom.Right now Mpesa is an force to reckon with in business and social life.
We may deny it but kenyans have shown the resillience that no other citizen of any african country can afford.This is the why they have not been relying on any donor for budgetary support,they support their own budget and still servicing their external debt.Unlike UG and TZ who are ever holding begging bowls.
The role foreiners plays in kenyan economy is kidogo sana.Kenyans have built companies,which have taken the region by storm. Equity,Cooperative,and KCB banks,Nakumatt,Tusky's Supermarkets and many more.Most profitable companies in the region are Kenyan.This is the economic developent we are talking about.Uganda is already complaining that their oil will benefit only kenya .
The growth UG and Tz have is mostly due to a large presence of kenyan investments in this countries,our talents and capital.Rwanda is the IT hub in the region thanks to Kenyan IT professionals.
The only setback we have is poor leadership and tribalism but we are working hard by the special grace of God to overcome this.We are building a new port in Lamu which will serve S.Sudan and Ethiopia and a major highway from lamu to juba and addiss ababa.This is economic development.Kenyans are set to control this region economically we will change things the Kenyan way,we will not entetain mediocrity.
Ugandans are equally sharp their only problem is leadership and location.The writer has pointed out the attitude of Tanzania vis a vi Uganda towards kenya.
It is true kenyans feel more at home in Uganda than TZ,ugandans are more accomondative than our dear brothers in Tz,its amazing.!!
Therefore what we should focus on if we are to build EAF is economic development.let us empower the good citizens of E.A to own thier economy.

You dwelt much on the economic growth and development which is mostly based on paper figures but not on the actual things on the ground. The country can have a very huge economy expressed in dolar terms or GDP but the normal mwananchi can not feel that. Given the example of the Continental europe countries and US. US has very big economy compared to Sweden or Norway but the welfare of the wananchi is very minimo in relation to these lands.

moyo (you sound like a learned one) dont lean much on the GDP figures.(I call it politicians drum to make wananchi dance) The idea is originated in countries where all transactions are recorded or reported and businesses are registered. In our countries we have a lot of busineses making a huge money but not registered or a posh house which has no title deed.

So i doubt if the GDP pointed out by the author does really reflect the substance on the ground. i.e in welfare terms.

By the way M-pesa idea is not even Kenyan but Vodafone plc', and the first country to receive money through electronic tranfer medium was DRC-Congo! soldiers were paid their dues as a result of remoteness of that country! Vodafone plc decided to put a pilot project in Kenya and it works, therefore there is nothing of Kenyan invention in M-pesa! Acha ku-exaggerate mambo! kuwa creative kijana!

This is where your bullshit gets exposed.

1)prove to me and the rest of the forumers that i said M-PESA is a kenyan idea
2)prove to me and the rest of the forumers that i said kenya was the first country to use electronic money transfer.

dude, there is nothing wrong with accusations, as long as you can back them up. you accused me of exaggerating, NOW SHOW STEP BY STEP HOW AND WHAT I EXAGGERATED!!!!!!!!

We do not need Oil or all those kind of Minerals to make this country great. We have been doing without all those resorces.

It is us, the people of this great country.

Why comes that most of Tanzanian goods have been coming through the Mombasa harbour?

We do not need Oil or all those kind of Minerals to make this country great. We have been doing without all those resorces.

It is us, the people of this great country.

Why comes that most of Tanzanian goods have been coming through the Mombasa harbour?

Most of Tanzanian goods! come up with the statistics, i need to see! But it's probably because of efficiency! Now how comes you massacre each other in Kenya than Tanzania? Why comes you are more tribalist in Kenya than in Tanzania? How is Kenya's unemployemnt rate is 40% compared to TZ's 12%. Why d u r people come to look for odd jobs in Tanzania when we aren't even coming to you if at all you are great? And your rate of growth?

Most of Tanzanian goods! come up with the statistics, i need to see! But it's probably because of efficiency! Now how comes you massacre each other in Kenya than Tanzania? Why comes you are more tribalist in Kenya than in Tanzania? How is Kenya's unemployemnt rate is 40% compared to TZ's 12%. Why d u r people come to look for odd jobs in Tanzania when we aren't even coming to you if at all you are great? And your rate of growth?

This isn't bad argument but i will say that Kenya is at a critical moment where
Tanzania and Uganda will have to pass at one time or another.

We have been sorting this political problem for many years.

Since independence, we have had Kanu,Narc and now PNU and ODM governents.
Not through coups as in Uganda, but throgh the ballots.

We have a coalition government and not like that of Mugabe.

Though there were major problems after the elections, the parties that were
fighting came into some sort of understanding within three weeks.

Many thought Kenya had completely fallen.

Tanzanians since indepence, knows only a CCM government. How and why?

Moi passed power to Bibaki and so the government went to the opposition.

This has yet to happen expecially in Tanzania and see what would happen though
i do not say that what happened here will happen in TZ.

So Kenya is way ahead and i repeat that TZ and Uganda has to pass this test.

Everyone knows most of the goods in this region including Tanzania has
been passing through the Kilindini habour.

The other countries are landlocked but the case With TZ is that the Tz habours could
not be able to handle some goods.

This is a fact and not imagination or politics as we say here.

The other things like unemployment and those figures, i think is disputable, for we have
many many Tanzanians here working from low class jobs and those who are in big bussinesses.

The question is, Will Uganda and Tanzania's rebounding economies soon overtake Kenya's?

Because Kenya is still ahead dispite all those problems.

Now 1Ksh=17Tsh
1Ksh=10Naira

From currency point of view, Kenya's economy is higher than Nigeria!(????)

Kenya are doing better, I dont get it why and how, somebody help!

1ksh=1.17japanese yen
kwa hiyo uchumi wa kenya upo juu ya Japani????
source-http://www.xe.com/

1ksh=1.17japanese yen
kwa hiyo uchumi wa kenya upo juu ya Japani????
source-http://www.xe.com/

You are assuming the japanese currency has the same structure as that of Kenya. take into consideration, that while the shilling is composed of 100cents, the same can not be said of the yen since they did away with that standard in the mid fifties, so a more orange to orange comparison would be 100 yen to 1 K-shiling, by aligning it as 1JPY to 1K-cent.

It is then that you realize the same unit of Jap currency = 85Ksh

You are assuming the japanese currency has the same structure as that of Kenya. take into consideration, that while the shilling is composed of 100cents, the same can not be said of the yen since they did away with that standard in the mid fifties, so a more orange to orange comparison would be 100 yen to 1 K-shiling, by aligning it as 1JPY to 1K-cent.

It is then that you realize the same unit of Jap currency = 85Ksh

Waziii

Back
Top Bottom