Politeness isn’t a virtue in Kenya

Namtih58

JF-Expert Member
Oct 23, 2007
By Rita Damary

A Tanzanian got a rude shock when he entered a pub in Kenya to quench his thirst, only to be ignored for minutes.

Rashid Hamza, 37, entered the pub in Kericho and ordered for beer: “Naomba beer baridi (May I have cold beer)”.

The waiter ignored him and continued serving other customers who were shouting their voices hoarse.

Hamza, who had come to watch the Kenya Inter-Municipalities Sports and Cultural Association games thought the waiter had not heard him.

The waiter took long. When he returned, Hamza repeated his order: “Naomba beer baridi tafadhali.”

This prompted the waiter’s anger. “We are neither Red Cross nor a church where people are offered charity services, including free drinks. Here clients order for drinks and pay.”

Hamza could not understand the waiter, so he decided to re-phrase his request: “Naomba uniuzie beer, (Please sell me beer)”.

“Ungesema ‘nipatie’ au ‘niuzie pombe’ wala sio ‘naomba beer’ (You could have asked me to sell you beer and not plead for one),” the waiter said, finally serving him.

The Standard

By Rita Damary

A Tanzanian got a rude shock when he entered a pub in Kenya to quench his thirst, only to be ignored for minutes.

Rashid Hamza, 37, entered the pub in Kericho and ordered for beer: “Naomba beer baridi (May I have cold beer)”.

The waiter ignored him and continued serving other customers who were shouting their voices hoarse.

Hamza, who had come to watch the Kenya Inter-Municipalities Sports and Cultural Association games thought the waiter had not heard him.

The waiter took long. When he returned, Hamza repeated his order: “Naomba beer baridi tafadhali.”

This prompted the waiter’s anger. “We are neither Red Cross nor a church where people are offered charity services, including free drinks. Here clients order for drinks and pay.”

Hamza could not understand the waiter, so he decided to re-phrase his request: “Naomba uniuzie beer, (Please sell me beer)”.

“Ungesema ‘nipatie’ au ‘niuzie pombe’ wala sio ‘naomba beer’ (You could have asked me to sell you beer and not plead for one),” the waiter said, finally serving him.

The Standard
Too true, that is Kenya for you!!!!... Angesema "Nataka bia" OR "Leta Bia"...You have to sound like you are ordering and while at it be abrassive too! this politeness is very strange to Kenyans.
In Kenya Rudeness is the virtue. People compete on rudeness the ruder the better.

A simple question will ellicit a very rude answer, rude askaris "they ask you Wewe unataka nini hapa?", rude Mps, rude President, rude first lady what do you expect!!!

hahaha, thought he went there to buy soda, what is beer for? I don't support people drinking. Lakini, kila watu huishi kulingana na walivyozoea. hapa Tz tunatumia polite language sana sehemu zilizo nyingi. kwa mtu wa kawaida hata asiyekuwa na akili timamu, hawezi kufikiri kuwa mtu anaweza akaomba beer au kitu chochote kile ambacho kipo dukani kinauzwa ili apewe bure. siwezi kuwakosoa wakenya kwa aina ya lugha ambazo huchagua kutumia(kama ndo hivyo, because iam not sure kwamba hivyo ndivyo wakenya hufanya), the same wakija hapa tz, ukimwambia mtu "nipe" unaonekana sio mtu mstaarabu, au unamdharau sana yule anayekuhudumia. they need respect na polite language pia. I would suggest watu wawe wanatumia kiswahili fasaha na tena kinachoendana na mazingira husika na kwa mtu husika. kuwa rude sio kitu kizuri, inaonyesha ukatili etc. however, naona iko wazi kuwa, mtoa mada hapa alitoa ili watu wacheke tu, ingepelekwa kwenye udaku huko, wakenya wanajua sana lugha polite na zile ambazo sio polite, unless mtu amekijua kiswahili hicho kuwa cha kitz au kikenya na ameamua kufanya hivyo kwa upendeleo, ambao nafikir hamna hata hivyo. asante.

How true, kenyans are too rude, in the matatu, the guard at the shop, the police man, mama mboga. Kila mtu.

yes they are rude hawana hata ujirani ufiwe, uibiwe, no one even comes to give you pole ... hapa tanzania watu wakiona turubai tu sehemu anaenda kuulizia jamani vipi nani kafa poleni jamani hata shs 100 kwenye sinia ataweka .. . but kenya kila mtu na mzigo wake, tena si kwakuupakata bali kwakuubeba kichwani

Politeness is taken as a sign of weakness in kenya,projecting a tough image even from ladies is considered hip[they call it ['mang'aa].A person who is too polite will even find it hard to get employment

Yea, some times if yot sound polite people will mistreat you and walk all over you so it helps to be rude and mean looking, lool!

if that is the case, then kenyans are a kind of different people from Tzs, is it a pride to be rude to others? can someone rude take up with the others in the EAC? can someone explain this please?

if that is the case, then kenyans are a kind of different people from Tzs, is it a pride to be rude to others? can someone rude take up with the others in the EAC? can someone explain this please?

Amini usi amini...every sector ya wanainchi wame jifunza kuwa rude. Ndo mazingira... kama ni rude one ends up being rude too. like isaid b4 rude president ana tusi wanainchi eti"mavi ya kuku..."Pumbavu"...Mama Lucy
Kibaki slapping governemt officials at will...holding people of the press hostage!! These are the examples what do you expect of the rest of the wananchi if their leaders behave in this manner...Do not feel bad for them...wenyewe wana jijua...it is always strange for visitors though...
Pole kwa hiyo mulio pata!!!

yaani mtu anamwita mwananchi wake "mavi ya kuku" na bado wananchi wanampenda tu na kuwapa kura? mbona ni tusi na dharau kubwa sana. ati, hata kusali hawasali kwani? mbona ni dhambi kabisa kuwa rude? as for Lucy Kibaki, she is the only and unique first lady on earth do behave like that. hakuna mtu yeyote duniani aliyewahi kufanya utumbo kama ule alioufanya. nafikiri hakuwa anafikiria vyema kuwa yeye ni kioo cha jamii kila mtu anamwangalia na anaka kujifunza kwake kama first lady. Mungu amsaidie.

Lucy kibaki has a mental illness, thats why she disapeared from the public spotlight.

By Rita Damary

Rashid Hamza, 37, entered the pub in Kericho and ordered for beer: Naomba beer baridi (May I have cold beer).

The waiter took long. When he returned, Hamza repeated his order: Naomba beer baridi tafadhali.

This prompted the waiters anger. We are neither Red Cross nor a church where people are offered charity services, including free drinks. Here clients order for drinks and pay.

Hamza could not understand the waiter, so he decided to re-phrase his request: Naomba uniuzie beer, (Please sell me beer).

Ungesema nipatie au niuzie pombe wala sio naomba beer (You could have asked me to sell you beer and not plead for one), the waiter said, finally serving him.

The Standard
10-drake-05.w600.h315.2x.jpg

ab8.jpg

"Naomba unipe bia mbili" no wonder Tanzania exports beggers.

"Nipe bia mbili" that's not rude or polite it's just what it is. Give me what I want and if you don't want to I'll take my money elsewhere.

Y'all call it rude we call it straight to the point.

"Nipe bia mbili" that's not rude or polite it's just what it is. Give me what I want and if you don't want to I'll take my money elsewhere.

You don't understand

Amini usi amini...every sector ya wanainchi wame jifunza kuwa rude. Ndo mazingira... kama ni rude one ends up being rude too. like isaid b4 rude president ana tusi wanainchi eti"mavi ya kuku..."Pumbavu"...Mama Lucy
Kibaki slapping governemt officials at will...holding people of the press hostage!! These are the examples what do you expect of the rest of the wananchi if their leaders behave in this manner...Do not feel bad for them...wenyewe wana jijua...it is always strange for visitors though...
Pole kwa hiyo mulio pata!!!
Ubaya sasa ni kuitwa monkey na mchaina.

Kumbe mumewanza, halafu wakiwaelewa mnazua rabsha

Huyu jamaa anadhani kenya ni ya mamayake Sema Nipee ama niwai/nijenge alafu kama mnajuana Ongezea na matusi kiasi. It is only in kenya where watu wanajuana wakikutana unaweza dhani ni vita inaendele, ati....( Wawawawa! Cheki huyu Fala! Wha! Si umelost Buda!!)
By Rita Damary

Rashid Hamza, 37, entered the pub in Kericho and ordered for beer: Naomba beer baridi (May I have cold beer).

The waiter took long. When he returned, Hamza repeated his order: Naomba beer baridi tafadhali.

This prompted the waiters anger. We are neither Red Cross nor a church where people are offered charity services, including free drinks. Here clients order for drinks and pay.

Hamza could not understand the waiter, so he decided to re-phrase his request: Naomba uniuzie beer, (Please sell me beer).

Ungesema nipatie au niuzie pombe wala sio naomba beer (You could have asked me to sell you beer and not plead for one), the waiter said, finally serving him.

The Standard

Hatuna time ya kubembelezana na watu huku.

Ndio maana Tanzania inatusumbua Kenya kwa kutujazia omba omba kote. Ujamaa uliwafanya mzoee sana desturi ya kuomba omba hadi unaponunua kitu lazima utumie neno la kuomba.
Basi kama lazima atumie naomba, angesema 'Naomba uniuzie beer' sio 'Naomba beer'.

Back
Top Bottom