"Zimbabwe is mine" - Mugabe

Nyani Ngabu

Platinum Member
May 15, 2006
BINDURA, Zimbabwe (AFP) –
President Robert Mugabe declared Friday that "Zimbabwe is mine" and vowed never to surrender to calls to step down, as his political rival threatened to quit stalled unity government talks.

Addressing his ZANU-PF party's annual conference amid a ruinous political crisis and a deadly cholera epidemic, Mugabe returned to the kind of defiance he has often shown in the face of mounting criticism.

"I will never, never, never never surrender. Zimbabwe is mine, I am a Zimbabwean. Zimbabwe for Zimbabweans. Zimbabwe never for the British, Britain for the British," Mugabe told his party's annual conference.

The veteran leader in the former British colony said he would remain until "his people decide to change him."

While the comments struck a familiar tone for the 84-year-old leader -- he said earlier this year that only God could remove him from office -- he now faces increasingly grim circumstances in his crippled country.

The UN says more than 1,100 people have died in the cholera epidemic, adding to woes such as food shortages and poverty as Zimbabwe struggles with a collapsed economy and eye-popping inflation rates.
Mugabe denounced Western governments who have been stepping up their criticism of his regime since the outbreak of cholera.

"What a pack of lies," he said, adding that Zimbabwe was facing a war with Britain, supported by the United States and Europe.
"I won't be intimidated. Even if I am threatened with beheading, I believe this and nothing will ever move me from it: Zimbabwe belongs to us, not the British."

His speech came after opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai threatened to quit deadlocked unity government talks following a power-sharing deal in September over the abductions of supporters of his party.

"More than 42 members have been abducted," the head of the Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) party, who would become prime minister under the unity government, told reporters in Botswana.

"If these abductions do not cease immediately and if all abductees are not released or charged in a court of law by January the 1st 2009, I will be asking the MDC's national council to pass a resolution to suspend all negotiations and contact with ZANU-PF," Tsvangirai warned.

The MDC, unions and several human rights groups have warned of increased abductions, with Zimbabwe plunging into further ruin as its leaders fail to resolve the political crisis.

Mugabe also commented on the deadlocked talks in his speech. "I don't know whether this inclusive government is going to work or not," he said.
And he warned that his rivals would be disappointed if their strategy involved waiting for his regime to collapse.

"My view is that those who run the MDC have given the MDC the impression that Zimbabwe is collapsing. 'Let it collapse and the leadership will vanish and you take over,'" he said.

"If they want to wait they can wait. That day will never come."

International pressure has built on Mugabe, with British Prime Minister Gordon Brown urging southern African leaders Friday to distance themselves from him, describing the deteriorating situation in Zimbabwe a "tragedy."

"The situation, contrary to what President Mugabe says, from all the evidence we have, is deteriorating and deteriorating rapidly," he said.
Brown urged African leaders to "make sure that it is absolutely clear to the people of Zimbabwe that we support those who are the democratically elected politicians," he added.

Also Friday, Nordic countries Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden added their voice to calls from several world leaders for Mugabe to step down.

Mugabe earlier accused the United States of urging African nations to topple him, state media reported Friday.
"I do not know of any African country that is brave enough to do that," Mugabe was quoted as saying.

He warned party delegates "to be wary of the enemy who was devising new ways of destroying ZANU-PF from within" and urged them to be on high alert, according to the state-run Herald newspaper.

Tsvangirai finished ahead of Mugabe in first-round presidential elections in March, but handed the presidency to his rival when he pulled out of a second round, citing violence against his supporters. Mugabe's party also lost its majority in parliament in March elections for the first time since independence in 1980.

The same old defiant Bob Mugabe.But the situation in Zimbabwe is turning to worse for he people.With every passing day the situation in Zimbabwe is getting worser off than the day before.
The dead Zimbabweans will someday probably rejoice for the firm stand as shown by Mr Mugabe.But then they will all have died of preventable causes.
Robert is not smart as he potrays to be.
Remove the army and you have him naked.
He is one of the leader who probabbly inherited a sound economy and within a short period of time complitely wrecked it to the ground.
I was a fan of Robert in my youth, not anymore.When Zimbabweans turn to drinking faeces infested water-then it is not funny any more.This is a bad Jongwe, the Mugabe guy.
Compromise, Mr Mugabe ,compromise is all that is to it.
Blaming the British all along is not cutting any bull. Mugabe should note that in this world the economy is intertwined.The Chinese depend on the US for commerce like any other nation.That Mugabe can survive without the Wests funding is something that is unimaginable , unpleasant as its.

The same old defiant Bob Mugabe.But the situation in Zimbabwe is turning to worse for he people.With every passing day the situation in Zimbabwe is getting worser off than the day before.
The dead Zimbabweans will someday probably rejoice for the firm stand as shown by Mr Mugabe.But then they will all have died of preventable causes.
Robert is not smart as he potrays to be.
Remove the army and you have him naked.
He is one of the leader who probabbly inherited a sound economy and within a short period of time complitely wrecked it to the ground.
I was a fan of Robert in my youth, not anymore.When Zimbabweans turn to drinking faeces infested water-then it is not funny any more.This is a bad Jongwe, the Mugabe guy.
Compromise, Mr Mugabe ,compromise is all that is to it.
Blaming the British all along is not cutting any bull. Mugabe should note that in this world the economy is intertwined.The Chinese depend on the US for commerce like any other nation.That Mugabe can survive without the Wests funding is something that is unimaginable , unpleasant as its.

Some countries in similar predicament have managed to survive. Iraq under Saddam, Iran, North Korea to some extent. All these countries managed to move along while being isolated by the West. The difference between those countries and Zimbabwe is the latter is populated and led by Bantus. Now, throughout history there has never been a country populated and led by Bantus that has progressed past the stone age. You see, all the blame placed on Mugabe is in way unfair. Yes he is arrogant, yes he stuck his finger to the Brits and the West but let's look at the big picture. He did what came natural to him to the best of his natural abilities. I didn't and never will expect anything more out of him nor any other Bantu. Call me racist if you wish, but the truth is what it is.

...................!!!!!
Zimbabwe is the latter is populated and led by Bantus. Now, throughout history there has never been a country populated and led by Bantus that has progressed past the stone age.
.................!!!!
I didn't and never will expect anything more out of him nor any other Bantu. Call me racist if you wish, but the truth is what it is.

The Truth, you have exposed your lack of intellect for all to see.Such statements as above do not only inflame but I have come to realise that those who do make such statements are severly lacking in lifes achievements and are of subjective minds.
We will not discuss racism here but then try to analyse any racist-he/she is from a wanting situation, blaming others for his lack of any achievement/progress in life.And that is because his intellect goes only that far.

"I will never, never, never never surrender. Zimbabwe is mine, I am a Zimbabwean. Zimbabwe for Zimbabweans. Zimbabwe never for the British, Britain for the British," Mugabe told his party's annual confe"

People should read between the lines, Comrade Mugabe did not mean he own Zimbabwe, but he belong to!!!!! I Like That!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lole Gwakisa, many including you blame Mugabe for the on-going crisis in this tiny, beautiful country in Southern Africa. When Zimbabwe was shinning, Mugabe was the leader. And he was praised so much by the west. He was, by then, dancing to their tunes. When he decided to go against the interest of the West, it marked the onset of the so called "Crisis in Zimbabwe". As they always does, the West started to play rough politics in an effort to compel Mugabe to surrender. They tried (they are still working hard on that) to convince neighbors, notably South Africa, to cut off flow of goods and services to Zimbabwe. The recent comments by US Ambassador to Zimbabwe revealed that Mugabe could not be in the office up to this time, if South Africa agreed to stop the flow of energy (diesel & petrol) to Zimbabwe. All these are targeted to make the people of Zimbabwe suffer so that they can justify the failure of Mr. Mugabe. Using the media conglomerates they own (CNN, BBC, Spiegel, AFP, Times, Economists, etc.), they have succeeded to convince the world, including fellow Africans, that Mugabe is killing his own people. But they forget that it is the people of Zimbabwe who suffers and not Mr. Mugabe. And for knowing what the west are doing, Mr. Mugabe is not ready to leave the office. He want to prove a point. I SUPPORT HIM!

If the problem is Mugabe, ask yourself this question: Tanzania is not led by Mugabe. How far is Tanzania? Also note that the west are no longer talking about the land reform as a source of the problem. They understand that by doing that they will lose the battle. They are now capitalizing on the (created) deteriorating living condition to say that Mugabe is a bad leader.

Let me mention that without the interest of the west, Africa is a "haven of peace". The people of Africa are naturally calm, easily satisfied, very friendly. They can fix their problems in a very civilized way. Many of the problems we have in Africa (from Congo to Zimbabwe) are not made in Africa but in Washington, London, Paris, Brussels and recently Beijing. Laurent Nkunda cannot afford to finance the war. He cannot even afford to purchase AK 47'S. He is a puppet (the same to Tsvangirai). It's until when we Africans learn to understand the game played by the west, will we be able to move forward. Development in Africa will be brought about by Africans and not by aid handouts from anywhere else. Aid will never do any good to Africa. We have been receiving aid for more than half a century now but we are still poor. Do you still believe in aid.? We don't need aid. We need trade. We need to add value in our exports. They are not willing to help us achieve that. Does it make sense to give aid while you impose a lot of trade barriers to the country you are trying to support? If your intention is to support Africa achieve development, why do you import unprocessed materials from Africa? It's now a high time to wake up! Let's say "we are no longer ignorant" and do what we are supposed to do.

lole Gwakisa, many including you blame Mugabe for the on-going crisis in this tiny, beautiful country in Southern Africa. When Zimbabwe was shinning, Mugabe was the leader. And he was praised so much by the west. He was, by then, dancing to their tunes. When he decided to go against the interest of the West, it marked the onset of the so called "Crisis in Zimbabwe". As they always does, the West started to play rough politics in an effort to compel Mugabe to surrender. They tried (they are still working hard on that) to convince neighbors, notably South Africa, to cut off flow of goods and services to Zimbabwe. The recent comments by US Ambassador to Zimbabwe revealed that Mugabe could not be in the office up to this time, if South Africa agreed to stop the flow of energy (diesel & petrol) to Zimbabwe. All these are targeted to make the people of Zimbabwe suffer so that they can justify the failure of Mr. Mugabe. Using the media conglomerates they own (CNN, BBC, Spiegel, AFP, Times, Economists, etc.), they have succeeded to convince the world, including fellow Africans, that Mugabe is killing his own people. But they forget that it is the people of Zimbabwe who suffers and not Mr. Mugabe. And for knowing what the west are doing, Mr. Mugabe is not ready to leave the office. He want to prove a point. I SUPPORT HIM!

If the problem is Mugabe, ask yourself this question: Tanzania is not led by Mugabe. How far is Tanzania? Also note that the west are no longer talking about the land reform as a source of the problem. They understand that by doing that they will lose the battle. They are now capitalizing on the (created) deteriorating living condition to say that Mugabe is a bad leader.

Let me mention that without the interest of the west, Africa is a "haven of peace". The people of Africa are naturally calm, easily satisfied, very friendly. They can fix their problems in a very civilized way. Many of the problems we have in Africa (from Congo to Zimbabwe) are not made in Africa but in Washington, London, Paris, Brussels and recently Beijing. Laurent Nkunda cannot afford to finance the war. He cannot even afford to purchase AK 47'S. He is a puppet (the same to Tsvangirai). It's until when we Africans learn to understand the game played by the west, will we be able to move forward. Development in Africa will be brought about by Africans and not by aid handouts from anywhere else. Aid will never do any good to Africa. We have been receiving aid for more than half a century now but we are still poor. Do you still believe in aid.? We don't need aid. We need trade. We need to add value in our exports. They are not willing to help us achieve that. Does it make sense to give aid while you impose a lot of trade barriers to the country you are trying to support? If your intention is to support Africa achieve development, why do you import unprocessed materials from Africa? It's now a high time to wake up! Let's say "we are no longer ignorant" and do what we are supposed to do.

Wazungu wa magharibi wana uwezo wa kushirikiana na kuiingilia nchi yeyote ambapo wataona wana maslahi, utake usitake, kwani uwezo huo wanao. Mugabe umri umemwacha na hatakua na muda wa kuprove kwa wazungu chochote licha ya kuendelea kuwaumiza raia wake. Ni utashai wa binadamu yeyote kutopenda kuwa kibaraka wa mtu yeyote, lakini kwa kuwa tunajua madhara ya kushindana nao, basi Mugabe angejifunza namna ya kurekebisha mambo kwa kuuma na kupulizia mpaka nchi na wananchi wake wafaidike kwa ushirika na wazungu wa magharibi. Kiburi cha sisi ni sisi, ni kizuri lakini hasara zake zipo wazi kwa raisi km Mugabe asiye na ubunifu wa kuondoa njaa, magonjwa, nk. Korea kaskazini na Wachina walitumia mbinu ya kufunga nchi na kuficha uozo, sidhani km ni njia bora kwa Zimbabwe maana pilika zake Mugabe mwenyewe hataziweza.

Wazungu wa magharibi wana uwezo wa kushirikiana na kuiingilia nchi yeyote ambapo wataona wana maslahi, utake usitake, kwani uwezo huo wanao kwa kupitia njia moja ama nyingine. Mugabe umri umemwacha na hatakua na muda wa kuprove kwa wazungu chochote licha ya kuendelea kuwaumiza raia wake. Ni utashai wa binadamu yeyote kutopenda kuwa kibaraka wa mtu yeyote, lakini kwa kuwa tunajua madhara ya kushindana nao, basi Mugabe angejifunza namna ya kurekebisha mambo kwa kuuma na kupulizia mpaka nchi na wananchi wake wafaidike kwa ushirika na wazungu wa magharibi. Kiburi cha sisi ni sisi, ni kizuri lakini hasara zake zipo wazi kwa raisi km Mugabe asiye na ubunifu wa kuondoa njaa, magonjwa, nk. Korea kaskazini na Wachina walitumia mbinu ya kufunga nchi na kuficha uozo, sidhani km ni njia bora kwa Zimbabwe maana pilika zake Mugabe mwenyewe hataziweza.

Wazungu wa magharibi wana uwezo wa kushirikiana na kuiingilia nchi yeyote ambapo wataona wana maslahi, utake usitake, kwani uwezo huo wanao. Mugabe umri umemwacha na hatakua na muda wa kuprove kwa wazungu chochote licha ya kuendelea kuwaumiza raia wake. Ni utashai wa binadamu yeyote kutopenda kuwa kibaraka wa mtu yeyote, lakini kwa kuwa tunajua madhara ya kushindana nao, basi Mugabe angejifunza namna ya kurekebisha mambo kwa kuuma na kupulizia mpaka nchi na wananchi wake wafaidike kwa ushirika na wazungu wa magharibi.Kiburi cha sisi ni sisi, ni kizuri lakini hasara zake zipo wazi kwa raisi km Mugabe asiye na ubunifu wa kuondoa njaa, magonjwa, nk. Korea kaskazini na Wachina walitumia mbinu ya kufunga nchi na kuficha uozo, sidhani km ni njia bora kwa Zimbabwe maana pilika zake Mugabe mwenyewe hataziweza.

Well, unaweza kutoa mfano wa nchi iliyonufaika kwa ushirika na nchi za magharibi (master/servant relationship). Tanzania? Na nikisoma sana post yako ninaona kuwa unakubaliana na hoja yangu kwamba matatizo ya Zimbabwe yamesababishwa na wazungu kumchukia Mugabe. Kwa hiyo vitendo vyao kuelekea Zimbabwe ndio vimesababisha Zimbabwe ifikie hapo ilipo. Don't you see how cruel they are? Kwa nini hawamtaki Mugabe? Tsvangirai or anybody else atafanya miujiza gani ambayo Mugabe hawezi kufanya? Suala hapa ni kwamba wanataka kuweka mtu wao, period. Viongozi wangapi Africa ambao hawakuingia madarakani kwa uchaguzi huru na haki lakini bado wazungu wanawakubali. Why Mugabe?

Maskini aliye na njaa hana uhuru wala haki. Mugabe anataka kuwakomoa akina nani, wanaoteseka na njaa sio hao wazungu wa Magharibi ni wajomba zake na wajukuu zake. Nilikuwa Zimbabwe juzi juzi, hali ni mbaya, yeye Mugabe anapata kila kitu, hapati shida.
Kwamba Mugabe ndie aliyekuwa kiongozi wakati Zimbabwe inafanya vizuri, ndio lakini huwa inafika mahali unaangalia na wengine wanaweza kufanya nini, angengatuka akawekwa mtu mwingine humohumo ZANU PF kabla akina Tsivangarai hawajapata hata nafasi ya kujulikana na kutumia leo Zimbabwe ingekuwa tofauti, Mugabe alishafika "platue" kwamba mazingira na mabadiliko yamekuzidi, hivyo unaachia wengine. Mfano mzuri ni Wakati Nyerere ametangaza kun'gatuka alikuwa London, Uingereza na mwandishi mmoja akamwuliza "Kwa nini unaachia wakati umri huu uliofikia ndio unaanza kufaa kuwa kiongozi......." Nyere alijibu "...........kama nimetawala nchi kwa miaka 24 kuna nini zaidi naweza kuwafanyia wananchi wangu ambacho sijakifanya katika muda huo????, pili katika muda huo wako vijana wengi ambao wanaweza kuongoza nchi kwa sasa, inabidi tuwape nafasi nao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Nyerere HUYO akaachia ngazi ALISOMA ALAMA ZA NYAKATI, mwenzetu Mugabe hasomi alama za nyakati ili aokoe wananchi wake.
Mbona Mbeki alikubali kujiuzulu mara moja bila kelele na angeweza kupinga akazua mvutano na pengine hali mbaya SA, lakini kwa manufaa ya wana SA aliona aachie ili kusiwe na vurugu.
Kuna kitu huwa kinaitwa "tactical Retreat" unarudi nyuma ujijenge vizuri ukiwa umeshiba na utunge mikakati mipya, sio kwenda mbele tu hata kama unauwa askari wako!!!!!!!!!!!!

..........:A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life....." that was Zimbabwe then, what about now, the world has changed alot, then, there was no JAmii Forum, let Mugabe look at the bigger picture~!!!!!!!!

Yes those who survived were and are smart, is Mugabe smart enough???????. I remember when there was an economic crisis in the asian tiger countries and USA, UK, IMF-World Bank went into rampage when Dr. Hemed of Malasia decided to instil forex control, they cried foul. Six months Malasia was the only country that came out with glory, the same western people were suprised. BIG QUESTION is MUGABE that smartat this time? or just politically shroud to stick to his guns even if he is loosing.
Nyerere used to go to the Western countries insult them as much as he could and still ask for food aid for his people and get it, smart aleck?????

Modererata, I am afraid you missed the point. It's also sad that you believe in foreign aid (& associated political string). Kama Mugabe anaishi vizuri (ila wananchi wake ndio wanaumia), then the Western strategy is still not working. The idea here is to impose the suffering to the Zimbabweans as a tool to oust Mugabe. Try to understand this simple concept.

And Condoleeza Rice is now mobilizing allies for a more tougher sanctions and hence more suffering to the people of Zimbabwe.

Some countries in similar predicament have managed to survive. Iraq under Saddam, Iran, North Korea to some extent. All these countries managed to move along while being isolated by the West. The difference between those countries and Zimbabwe is the latter is populated and led by Bantus. Now, throughout history there has never been a country populated and led by Bantus that has progressed past the stone age. You see, all the blame placed on Mugabe is in way unfair. Yes he is arrogant, yes he stuck his finger to the Brits and the West but let's look at the big picture. He did what came natural to him to the best of his natural abilities. I didn't and never will expect anything more out of him nor any other Bantu. Call me racist if you wish, but the truth is what it is.
Theres BANTU in America now Barack Hussein Obama "EAT IT"

ZUngu Pule I did not, and like you I hate foreign aids, but i am a realist. But if one person is creating problems for millions other people, he should be bold enough to let go. I remember there was one Army General who considered every other soldier to be unfit so he could not work with virtually anybody, so they had to take him out honorably to save the situation. Mugabe can leave and usher in somebody else who is smart enough to keep some of the Mugabes stance but still serve the people of Zimbabwe. Let us not be blinded by our hatred of the western word actions, but rather be smart to get our actions straight and good for our people.
We should not scumb to the schemes of the west but also we should not just be sturbborn for the sake of staurborness

Now, What do you want from the west (if not aid)? Why should Africa address their requirements? If they hate Mugabe, then we should kick Mugabe out of the office! If they want gold from Geita in a win-lose (97:3) arrangement, then we should adhere to that because they provide us with mosquito bed-nets. If you can objectively analyse the problem in Zimbabwe rather than reciting what the western media tell us, you will get to understand my point. The problem here is not Mugabe but rather Mugabe going against the interest of the West. Even if Tsvangirai was the president and decide against their interest, the same thing could have happened. What's preventing Mr. Kikwete from nullifying the dubious mining contracts? He is in fear of the same conspiracy by the West. It's unfortunate that Zimbabwe lacks oil. The West has always found it difficult to deal with their opponents with huge oil reserves; from Venezuela to Sudan.

I have been trying to find the link between Mugabe and cholera. Though I haven't done any empirical research on that, I suspect the correlation between the two must be negative. It's easy to deal with cholera if the people are well informed about the disease. This is irrespective of whether Mugabe or Gordon Brown or Kikwete is in the office. So, ignorance is to blame. Mwalimu Nyerere once said "ukitaka kumsaidia maskini, msomeshe mtoto wake". Elimu ni suluhisho la matatizo mengi sana. Msaada wa kweli kwa Africa ni elimu kwa watu wake na sio net au visima vya maji ambavyo si vya kudumu. We need the west as a trade partner, not as a source of aid. The good thing is, we have the resources they are dying for it.

Back
Top Bottom