You don't want too many blacks in one area, says Muhammad Ali's Irish town mayor

Babylon

JF-Expert Member
Feb 5, 2009
You don't want too many blacks in one area, says Muhammad Ali's Irish town mayor

Last updated at 5:17 PM on 10th September 2009

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...area-says-Muhammad-Alis-Irish-town-mayor.html

article-1212497-065E3C4F000005DC-676_233x423.jpg
Controversial: Frankie Neylon, mayor of Ennis, County Clare

The mayor of an Irish town where boxing legend Muhammad Ali's great-grandfather hailed from has warned about housing policies that could lead to a 'glut of black families' in any one area.
Frankie Neylon said he believed it was better for the council not to house too many black people together in Ennis, County Clare, to avoid the creation of 'ghettos'.
His controversial comments come a week after he welcomed black boxing legend Ali to the town as he came to unveil a plaque at his ancestor's house.
Speaking about the town's housing policies, Mr Neylon said putting too many black families together risked alienating them from the community.
He said: 'You wouldn't like to see too many black families in one area and neither would they.
'Six families in one small area is enough,' he said, point out that six houses allocated by Ennis Town Council recently in one estate in the Cloughleigh area all went to black families.
He continued: 'I would be concerned if the council keeps giving houses to black families in any particular area, there would be a glut of black families in one area.
'If you have too many black people in one area, it is difficult for them to integrate into the community,' adding that black families should be 'a little more spread out to give a better blend of people.'
He admitted that raising the issue left him open to being branded a racist.

But he said: 'There is no question whatsoever of me being racist. I would not like to discriminate against anyone and if black families qualify for housing before a white family, I would have no problem with that.'

He then went on to point out that there were 26 different nationalities living in Ennis and said: 'We can't forget our own and keep housing people that have come into Ennis over the past number of years.'

article-1212497-0655D44B000005DC-613_468x311.jpg
Mr Neylon poses for a picture next to Muhammad Ali last week. He said putting too many black people in one area of Ennis could create 'ghettos'

Ali’s great-grandfather, Abe Grady, who hailed from the town, emigrated to the U.S. in the 1860s, and in recognition of his roots Ali was last week made the first Honorary Freeman of Ennis.

It was his first visit there and with the confidence that typified his sporting career, he was almost immediately talking of a comeback, despite medical advice against travelling.

As the three times World Heavyweight Champion accepted the honour, his wife Lonnie revealed: ‘Now that we know Muhammad is an Ennis man, we will be back.’

The adoring fans, spanning generations, had packed into the town’s main square for hours before the civic reception was broadcast on a huge screen.

Lonnie announced that her 67-year-old husband, who has been battling Parkinson’s Disease for 25 years, was overwhelmed by the experience.
article-1212497-06411256000005DC-424_468x397.jpg

Muhammad Ali with his wife Lonnie (left) in Ennis, County Clare, Ireland last week where he was honoured as the first Freeman of his ancestral home

I agree with the Mayor on this one. Racial tensions are mostly aggravated when people don't mix together.

Back
Top Bottom