JF-Expert Member
Jun 24, 2009
Cable Viewer

Fuata link hiyo hapo juu

================
Inayoshtua ni hii:

Hii habari ni "hatari" sana kwa nchi yetu, fuatilia mwenyewe:

Viewing cable 06DARESSALAAM277, KIKWETE CORRUPTION TIDBIT

If you are new to these pages, please read an introduction on the structure of a cable as well as how to discuss them with others. See also the FAQs

This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available.

C O N F I D E N T I A L DAR ES SALAAM 000277 SIPDIS DEPT FOR INR, R.EHRENREICH E.O. 12958: DECL: 02/13/2016 TAGS:

PGOVPRELTZSUBJECT: KIKWETE CORRUPTION TIDBIT Classified By: Ambassador Michael Retzer, Reason 1.5 (d) 1. (C) President Kikwete has accepted gifts (bribes) from the owner of the Kempinski Hotel chain,s Tanzanian properties, a citizen of the United Arab Emirates. 2.

(C) In a conversation with the manager and the publicity director of Dar Es Salaam,s Kilimanjaro-Kempinski Hotel hours after accompanying A/S Frazer to her October 18, 2005 meeting with then-Foreign Minister Kikwete,
I commented on Kikwete's flashy attire, asking "Who dresses him?" "We do," they responded. Initially thinking this meant Kikwete frequented a men,s shop in the hotel, I learned later in the evening from hotel publicity director Lisa Pile (protect) that the hotel owner*UAE citizen Ali Albwardy*had recently flown Kikwete to London for a subsidized shopping expedition.Among other things, on that trip Ali Albwardy bought Kikwete five Saville Row suits. He had also recently made a $1 million cash contribution to the CCM (which is a legal contribution under current Tanzanian law). 3.

(C) Pile told me the Kempinski Hotel chain is greatly expanding its presence in Tanzania. She said that in December it would open "the best hotel in Zanzibar." Her prediction was a little off; the new Kempinski hotel, located on the beach on Zanzibar,s east coast, opened January 5. I attended the opening ceremony along with Zanzibari President Karume, who was asked publicly by Ali Albwardy for a site in Stone Town to build a new hotel. Later that day, Pile revealed that the Zanzibar government had already earmarked for Ali Albwardy a hotel site in Stone Town.

(C) Pile also said in the October 18 conversation that Ali Abwardy was about to receive the rights to construct two new hotels on the mainland: one on the edge of Ngorongoro Crater and another on the Serengeti plain overlooking the main animal migration routes. Stringent conservation rules currently ban the construction of permanent structures inside national parks*including in the crater and on the Serengeti plain*but Pile said that in November legislation would be introduced to parliament to authorize the new hotels.

(Comment: We have received no reports on new legislation, but the Dar Es Salaam Daily News on January 15 reported that the Tanzania National Parks Authority had approved construction of a five star hotel on the Serengeti plain.)

(C) Later on October 18, over dinner, an Indian/South Asian man described as a business associate of Ali Albwardy briefly took Pile from the table for a conversation in Kiswahili. I am not sure what was said, but Kikwete's name came up several times and
he passed her an envelope. Pile told me the envelope was stuffed with 1 million shillings ( $1,000) and was to pay for a Kikwete meeting at the Kilmanjaro-Kempinski later that month. Apparently Kikwete is a regular customer, but no name ever appears on the hotel registry when a government bigshot has an "event" in one of the guest rooms. 5.

(C) Bio Note: Lisa Pile, an Australian citizen, has lived in Dar working for Kempinski Hotels since early 2004. Before that she had served in a similar capacity with the Kempinski chain in China. Her family in Australia is prominent in Australia's Liberal Party (the center-right party of Prime Minister John Howard).

(C) Comment: What does it all mean? I don,t know, but my guess is that the investor Ali Albwardy has access to oil money out of the UAE.
I suspect giving free clothes and the campaign donation is just the way these people do business. 7.

(C) For his part, Kikwete probably thinks having all these five star hotels around is a good idea for the country,and I agree with him. His new minister of Natural Resources and Tourism, Anthony Diallo, says he wants to double tourism,s contribution to the national economy in ten year,s time.
Kikwete probably believes there is no harm in taking these "little gifts" to do what he would have been inclined to do anyway. That said, they are what they are: bribes.

Lakini Ikulu imetoa ufafanuzi huu: https://www.jamiiforums.com/jukwaa-...nies-president-bribe-claims-in-u-s-cable.html

I am going through each and every line with a "professorial eye"... for my country. I urge every member to do the same.

• Thanks
Reactions: FJM
Haya bwana...Tz yetu hiyo..!!

Government decisions are not always completely transparent, and Ministers and high-level officials have significant authority to make exceptions to the rule. Well- connected companies may obtain allowances or unfair advantages. Further, government procurement is often less transparent than international standards.

Naona haka kaNokia ninayoi2mia imekuwa na kizunguzungu ngoja kesho nivamie ktk mtandao mkubwa maana cjaona ki2 hapa

-- There is a vacuum at State House. There is no seriousness, no strategic vision, no plan. Kikwete needs to act. He is accumulating problems as he constantly postpones all issues. For the first time in our country's history cabinet meetings are cancelled due to lack of a quorum. Kikwete is unable to get his ministers to attend his cabinet meetings. -- Kikwete is personally popular, but he is increasingly seen as too weak to address the corruption in his party. He is surrounded by people notorious for their corruption. His image is hurt by this. He is not pulling the CCM up. The CCM is dragging him down

Source: Hapa

Nini cha ajabu katika hayo? Huwa mnakosa vya kubandika?

Cha ajabu ni kuwa sasa mnaanza kuumbuka kwani ukweli unakuwa hadharani. Uchaguzi wa mwaka 2005 ni kambi ya JK iliyofanya uharamia wa kumchafua Dr SAS. Sijui mtajificha wapi kama jamaa anavyozungumza hapa:-

All eyes are on Dodoma this week, as the CCM party leadership whittles the CCM hopefuls down to one nominee. Reportedly, the remote capital is full to bursting with the CCM faithful: Dodoma's few hotel rooms were all booked weeks ago, and crowds of people are reportedly sleeping out in the open. The next big event will be the National Executive Committee's announcement of the final three.

The gamblers among the diplomatic corps have put their money on Kikwete, Salim Salim, and one of 'second tier' candidates, with Kigoda most often mentioned. The consensus view is that Prime Minister Sumaye is too badly damaged by allegations of corruption and by his own lackluster candidacy to make the next cut. As to the final nominee, few observers are willing to hazard a guess. It's easy to envision a deadlock between supporters of Kikwete and Salim, opening the way to a little-known compromise candidate. A surprise outcome just might not come as a big surprise.

"We believe, however, that the jury remains out. While these are all highly encouraging signs, the ultimate success of Kikwete's anti-corruption drive will be measured by hard numbers -- the number of those relieved of their posts, and the number of those investigated, prosecuted, convicted, and jailed."

Jamaa waliishamstukia kwamba ni mzee wa kuchekacheka toka mwanzo, hii ni siku 120 toka achukue madaraka.

"Andrew McAlister, the Canadian High Commissioner to Tanzania, noted during Sharer's IMF briefing that growth in the banking sector had been impressive in 2006, but still only 8 percent of Tanzanians have bank accounts."
This is shocking !!! Nafikiri sasa hivi ni asilimia 10 kama sikosei kwa data za East African la last week. I can be corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom