Why we Oppose Them: In Memory of Fallen Heroes of Democracy

We shall fight for our rights and stand firm against all forms of ill and destructive measures posed by the rulers

Wivu wa kike/kishoga!

Ukweli unabaki pale pale kuwa makala ina makosa mengi ya kiuandishi.

Kama wanavyokosolewa wengine kwa uandishi wao, tutamkosoa na Mwanakijiji pia.

Ameandika makala kubwa na yenye ujumbe mzuri lakini ameishushia hadhi kwa makosa mengi yasiyo msingi.

"It doesn’t take special education to recognize the deficiencies of their economic, social, security even of the political policies. There is no area of governance that the current ruling elite can claim excellence. I mean none. They have found a myriad of ways to excuse their incompetence, defend their mediocrity and explain their failures. Indeed, if we push them to explain themselves they would come out like stinging bees to attack the persons not the arguments. They have found ways to intimidate people but it seems that the era of political intimidation is coming to an end soon. But I know, it won’t come easily or with roses but probably with roses and guns like what happened in Arusha. That’s why we oppose them"

Mwanakijiji you have said it all and so well and true...I salute you. But I think the section cut above says it all, why the present rule is a failure and detested by many. With people like CDM leaders and yourself I am sure we shall reach a true democracy, a rule of people by the people, and not of a party with it few beneficiaries. What transpired this past last week is indeed a sad story and the darkest history of this country. But in a way, it is a clear indication of the inevitable cancer of the current leadership. which otherwise would not have been comprehended by many; now it is clearer...that Tanzanians dont have a president, the one who claims to be in power doesnt represent our people. If he did, he could have at least sent representative or a special message yesterday...but on the contrary he didnt said a thing...the police is a guard of those in power not of the people. Our resources are embezzled to keep few in power and give them economic advantage to do what they want to do...What else is not misused in this country? Yes, enough is enough, otherwise the blood and wounds of our brothers and sisters will be in vain...we have left a legacy behind, we cannot remain silent or stay in our cocoons thinking it is well while it is indeed not well. If for the time being you think that the system is in favor of you and so you support it, remember, in years to come, it shall affect your offsprings if not yourself. We need to wake up and do something in our various capacities to bring change; we can all make a small difference; and together we can do great things for this country, for our people and for ourselves...Our country is beautiful, rich in resources and in culture...it has a great people, so let us redeem it to be what God designed it to be.....TO God and to our Country

Why We Oppose Them: Unfit to Lead

By. M. M. Mwanakijiji (BGM)

The cause of democracy in Tanzania has found new heroes, indeed even new heroines. The path to a new Tanzania that we so much desire has been cleared and sanctified by the blood of it sons, spilled in the hands of the State. Yes! The blood of those injured in the infamy of January 5th, 2010 in Arusha is screaming in agony for eons to come. For now, like in the time past hope has been planted in the hearts and minds of our people by the blood of the political activists.

My friends, for the past week or so, I have been thinking, praying, and wondering what the events of January Fifth mean to those of us who have been pushing for political change in the country. Even more, I have been asking myself what is the significance of these events of Arusha to the mind and the collective psyche of our people. I have had several opportunities in the past week to speak candidly and share my thoughts with a number of CHADEMA prominent leaders including former Presidential candidate Dr. W. P. Slaa, Hon. Zitto Kabwe, Hon. John Mnyika as well as my new icon of democracy and human rights Ms. Josephine Mushumbusi. In all my conversations with them I came to realize that the political opposition in the country need a clear and an ambiguous articulation of why thousands of Tanzanians at home and abroad stand in opposition to CCM's policies and the type of governance its government is providing to the nation.
This is even more true following those events of January Fifth. Compared to what transpired a week ago to the events of colorful eternal farewell to Ismail Omar and Dennis Ngowi today it is absolutely clear that the Police Force acted imprudently and cowardly to stop the Chadema party members from expressing their political opposition through a peaceful march; a march heading towards the same grounds where the funeral service was held today.

Other people from the other side of the political discourse are wondering why some Tanzanians are so adamant in opposing President Kikwete's government and his ruling party. Why? they query, it seems that a new generation of Tanzanians are so angry at Chama cha Mapinduzi's ruling political elite . Indeed, some of our friends in the side of the isle even hold the opposition and other Tanzanians who don't agree with them in contempt because they oppose the government. To some of our friends in this other camp, the only way to show patriotism and love for one's own country is to agree, support, defend and even excuse the actions of the government. To them, disagreeing or rejecting the government or its positions or actions is tantamount to treason.

My friends, it is from such a reflection I found myself pulled either by fate, history or Providence to consider the reasons why Tanzanians across the country and abroad are standing against their government and in almost absolute opposition to the ruling party. I believe like the American Founding Fathers who put forth arguments for their opposition of King George's ‘tyrannical' government. I believe those of us who opposed the ruling party and its corrupt government need to put a clear defense of our cause lest it be taken out of context or misrepresented by those who benefits from the current political regime in Tanzania. Only those of us who oppose "them" know for a fact why we oppose and will continue to oppose them until the change desired is established in this beautiful land of ours.

We oppose them because we disagree with them.

The level of disagreement in the country right now between those who gave and continue to give an unconditional support to the ruling party and its government and those of us who supported and continue to support the opposition is so deep that I can claim it is in fact that it has reached the level of irreconcilable differences. This means that what CCM and its government represent is contrary to what the opposition would have brought to power if had been elected. But this difference is not personal as some people would want to us to believe but rather institutional and ideological. This difference is enshrined in the political parties own manifestos and constitutions. These are fundamental differences based on different philosophical and ideological bents of our political parties. Yes, this is why we oppose them.

We oppose them because their ruling party represent continuity of the same.
During the general elections campaigns the ruling party did not promise the Tanzanian people any meaningful change. In fact, they did not promise any change at all. They promised the continuity of the same. I remember very well how they despised the idea of change for if one had an opportunity to listen to their rhetoric change was something unneeded in the country for it the country was not ready for change. As a matter of fact even the idea of a new Constitution was rejected several time before the election and even after the election. They wanted and indeed I believe they still want to maintain the status quo. They still want to govern the country as if they are the sole political party, they want to issue statements as if they are the God chosen ones against all others! Yes! Their collective mentality is such that anybody who doesn't not agree with them or who oppose them is seen not as a political adversary but as personal enemy of ruling elite, indeed sometimes even of the State itself.

So, any idea in opposition to theirs seems to be inherently offensive and provocative. Thus, they have tried in so many ways and in so many different venues to discourage Tanzanians from embracing the idea of something different and better offered by the opposition. In fact, in their almost demonic zeal to continue the same, unchecked and unchallenged by no one have gone out their way (as we saw during the election campaigns in 2010) to destroy the character, names, and even the honor of their political opponents. My friends that's why we oppose them. L

We oppose them because they are the beneficiaries of the current corrupt political setting.
We all know (by "we" I mean the opposition and the ruling party) that there is indeed a level of corruption in the country like never seen before. But, it seems that it is the opposition that is irked by this level of corruption to the point that it became a central theme of the opposition campaigns last year. But we all know that the corruption in the country benefits them as individuals (some of them are tied up in a number of corrupt deals of the past) and also as a ruling class.

I could go on and narrate a number corrupt deals of the past from Loliondo to IPTL and from IPTL to Meremeta or from Meremeta to Deep Green Finance, or if you will from Deep Green to Buzwagi mining deal. I mean if you so desire I could even go from the corrupt agriculture vouchers scandal to stimulus package scandal; I mean I could even (if you push me) go into details to describe the Richmond and Dowans energy production scandals. All these deals (that is what they actually are) have been in one way or another tied up to some of the politicians in the ruling party and its government officials even sometimes to the highest levels of authority in the country a.k.a the State House.

As we look in dismay the current saga where the same government that forced Tanesco to transfer the contract that utility firm had rejected before to an offshore shelf company in Costa Rica we find ourselves more determined to oppose them. I know for a fact that Dowans is going to be paid no matter what (as I have said in the past) and there is nothing that Kikwete or anybody in this land of ours can do to stop it and the worst thing is that once paid the two companies will go into insolvency or liquidation soon after they pocket the money. We know even who are the people behind in the secretive Dowans SA which was shoved into Tanesco's mouth as the panacea of energy woes of 2006 (even when the crisis itself had been long gone when the contract was transferred).

So how can a free people accept the current corrupt political setting which benefit the ruling party and some of its prominent members? How can a regular Tanzanian whose child was forced to go home because he could not come up with a "brick and papers" for school use support such a government? How can a group of university lecturers and students support a government that is willing to pay up easily 91 billion TSH while struggling to meet its financial obligations to teachers and higher education in the country? How can a nurse and a primary school teacher sing "CCM yajenga nchi" while the classrooms or dispensary is falling apart like what we saw earlier today with Mr. Aggrey Mwanri in Kilosa? How can patriot Tanzania cheer the financial assistance of 3 Billions Tsh from China to build our own Defense College while the same nation was willing to party with 3 billion Tsh to build a house for one Bank of Tanzania Executive? How can a nation claimed to be as poor as ours afford to finance two massive celebration within a month a part and still prepare for another one in few months to come? Is it really necessary to hold all these pompous celebrations every single year?

We oppose them because our vision for the country is better than theirs.
We have seen and accepted their ruling of the country for almost fifty years. Throughout the decades they have given us everything that they have. Under their ruling Tanzania is what it is today. But as we start the second half of the century of our independence we recognize that their ideas have failed our nation, their ideology of corruption has been detrimental to the prosperity of our people and indeed their vision of perpetual dependence has caused an addictive attitude towards the donors and foreign powers. I will propose to you that the current political leadership in the country does not have a vision of its own except that created by the so called "development partners" a.k.a the donor community.

It doesn't take special education to recognize the deficiencies of their economic, social, security even of the political policies. There is no area of governance that the current ruling elite can claim excellence. I mean none. They have found a myriad of ways to excuse their incompetence, defend their mediocrity and explain their failures. Indeed, if we push them to explain themselves they would come out like stinging bees to attack the persons not the arguments. They have found ways to intimidate people but it seems that the era of political intimidation is coming to an end soon. But I know, it won't come easily or with roses but probably with roses and guns like what happened in Arusha. That's why we oppose them.

My friends, our opposition is not hate as others would want people to believe; our rejection of their policies is not revenge as some claim it to be; our despise of their leadership is not personal anger against them as some of them have come to hold. Our opposition, rejection, and despise are just a mere reflection of how the difference between them and us are of such a nature that can not be reconciled. The only way to resolve the political stalemate is by defeating them in through a ballot box and remove them from power. Not just remove them from power but to bring those responsible for the current corrupt affairs of our nation to justice. In this regard there should be no misunderstanding whatsoever.

All those responsible in selling out our nation wealth to anybody will be brought to justice, it might not be today or tomorrow but there should be no doubt that there is a new generation of Tanzanian willing to wait, as long as it takes to make this people accountable for their actions today. If the events of Arusha go unpunished let there be no doubt that the people who ordered the killings and those who took part in them will be brought to justice. Those who order political intimidation and carry them out they will be brought to answer as well. I don't know how this will happen or when its going to happen, but I am quite sure that history will not forget what happened in these few years. Nor, should any peace and democracy loving Tanzanian anywhere.

We can't back down now

My friends, our resolve to oppose corruption must be sacred, and our determination to reject poor governance must be absolute for corruption and poor governance are the necessary recipes for underdevelopment of a young nation such as ours. With a lax law enforcement agencies and a weak intelligence service they create a quadrant of Corrupt Regime. It is for this reason as we celebrate the lives of our fallen heroes in Arusha and as we stand together with those injured we must continue to stand guard to defend the welfare of our nation no matter the price for we now know that sometimes a very high price might be called of us.

We should not give the rulers a reason to shed more blood of Tanzanians, so on our part we need to be prudent in our choices we make. But we should not be afraid to make choices for we all live by they choices we make or we will die by those we didn't. But we should not let other people make those choices for us not even the most powerful members of our society. We should be independent in our thinking and categorical in our acting. Only together can we lead the charge toward political reform in Tanzania.

Well, why do we oppose them you still ask? Because they are unfit to lead.
Let us join our hands to sing that liberation song; the song of hope to the oppressed!

The great flood of tears that we've cried for our brothers and sisters who've died
Over four hundred years has washed away our fears
And strengthened our pride now we turn back the tide

We will no longer hear your command
We will seize the control from your hand
We will fan the flame of our anger and pain
And you'll feel the shame for what you do in gods name

We will fight for the right to be free
And we will build our own society
And we will sing, we will sing, we will sing our own song

When the ancient drum rhythms ring, the voice of our forefathers sings
Forward Africa run, our day of freedom has come
For me and for you, Amandla Awethu

Dedicate in the Eternal Memory of

Ismail Omar
Dennis Ngowi

On January 12th, 2010

MM, thumb-up! however, it is Denis Michael Shirima, not Denis Ngowi. Again, may be you need to practice to make you point in few words and avoid repeating yourself

sometimes I repeat myself because I'm trying to emphasize a point.. point noted - yours I mean.

mbona mpaka sasa hujarekebisha? Mpe huyu kijana heshima yake. Ningetegemea an immediate correction pale Gurudumu alipokusahihisha lakini mpaka sasa hakuna chochote! This makes me question the true intent/dedication of the article. Unajipa wewe sifa au wafiwa? Kama kweli unawapa wafiwa, correction ya jina ifanyike mara moja!!!

"...My friends, our opposition is not hate as others would want people to believe; our rejection of their policies is not revenge as some claim it to be; our despise of their leadership is not personal anger against them as some of them have come to hold. Our opposition, rejection, and despise are just a mere reflection of how the difference between them and us are of such a nature that can not be reconciled. The only way to resolve the political stalemate is by defeating them in through a ballot box and remove them from power. Not just remove them from power but to bring those responsible for the current corrupt affairs of our nation to justice. In this regard there should be no misunderstanding whatsoever..."

Reminds me of the Great but little Brother St Francis of Assizi's prayer to his creator 'Make me a channel of peace' which JKNyerere was so fond of and at Independence Day, we made a song out of it 'Sisi tunataka kuwasha Mwenge...umulike...pale penye chuki ulete upendo..."

Mzee MMJ, YOU HAVE SAID IT ALL, I like your vision and your analytical skills. The only answer to all our political problem is a CHANGE!

Thanks MM. I keep wonder when will Africa continent be a democratic one, most of its Leaders are either ditators,murders or corrupt

MM, I almost thought its kind of another Mountaintop Speech!

Others may just look on what is said to be "makosa ya kiuandishi mengi mno or you are better when using mother tongue". I wonder if that could be possible because Kiswahili is not even our mother tongue. We find it tasking commending others!!!!!

Yo have done it again; kula TANO!!!!!

We oppose them because they think and believe to be holding the Tittle Deed, Patent Right, Copy Right (you name it) of this Country.

This country belongs to us all, it belongs to children and generations to come and Indeed We Shall Overcome Some Day!!!!!

YouTube - Joan Baez- We Shall Overcome (Woodstock 1969)

RealMan

" I almost thought its kind of.."

You 'almost thought' ?....seriously!

MM, thumb-up! however, it is Denis Michael Shirima, not Denis Ngowi. Again, may be you need to practice to make you point in few words and avoid repeating yourself

The concept is, did you get the message or not? We are not sitting an english exam here. MMM uko juu. KAKA PIA UNATAKA KUSAHIHISHWA? YOU NEED TO PRACTICE TO MAKE YOUR POINTS IN FEW WORDS AND NOT YOU POINT IN FEW WORDS. I AM SORRY BUDDY BUT TUSIWE WA HIVYO. KUSAHIHISHA TUU, MMM AINT SITTING AN ENGLISH GRAMMER EXAM.

well said MMM.....

"Governments must be chosen by the people and once in power must permit opposition... the phenomenon is crystal clear that the voices of the people are of an authority of the changes and hope of the nation

why CCM government does not accept opposition voices.... this is completely autocratic and it justify the rule of tyranny in our country

Mazoea hujenga tabia wandugu

RealMan

" I almost thought its kind of.."

You 'almost thought' ?....seriously!

Gaijin, pole na samahani kwa kukufanya ukwazike. Nimerudia tena na kusahihisha baadhi ya makosa ambayo mwenyewe nimeyaona. Unaweza kunidokeza makosa mengine nifanyie marekebisho. Maana niliandika ikiwa ni the only draft. Sidai umahiri wa hii lugha ya wengine, I hope I've improved a little bit.

mbona mpaka sasa hujarekebisha? Mpe huyu kijana heshima yake. Ningetegemea an immediate correction pale Gurudumu alipokusahihisha lakini mpaka sasa hakuna chochote! This makes me question the true intent/dedication of the article. Unajipa wewe sifa au wafiwa? Kama kweli unawapa wafiwa, correction ya jina ifanyike mara moja!!!

duh.. sikutaka kufanya marekebisho nusu nusu kwa sababu kuna issue nyingine zimetajwa humo and I was going to bed! Nimesahihisha mheshimwa.

Big up MM, my request, pls also write in Kiswahili and send to Mwananchi, Rai Mwema, Tanzania Daima, MwanaHalisi so it can be read by the masses

Wanawapinga kwa sbb
1. Wameiba kura, vote rigging was absolutely the cause, so citizens don't listen them
2. No vision, mission, full usanii, wanaiba Dr. Slaa & CDM campaign policy, eg elimu bure,
kushusha bei ya vifaa vya ujenzi, katiba mpya, walisema wazi havitekelezeki
tumeona la katiba wamegwaya, ila VX mpya @ 280 mil aaaahh mara moja
3. Hawako kwa ajili ya wananchi eg. Dowans saga, Sitta, Mwakyembe, wote wamesema
Dowans is illegal to pay, ni kampuni hewa, kumbuka mafisadi walitumia mbinu ya
kuwapa uwaziri hawa ili KUWAFUNGA mdomo, but wanamsimamo, ila JK kama hayupo vile
4. Dr. Slaa alisema wazi ni MAAFA kuirudisha CCM madarakani, ona sasa vyuo vikuu migomo kila kukicha, umeme juu, nauli soon itapanda no dought maisha yatapanda mno,
hata miezi 2 bado, hali itakuwa ngumu, nasema 2015 wananchi hawata fanya makosa
so CCM wanajua they are POOR IN GOVERNANCE, dowans imesemwa weeeeee, rais katulia
wala hapa waislam wametulia kimya, umeme umepanda, husiki waislam wakiongea,
hata issue ya Dowans BAKWATA wapo kimya, ni upuuzi mtupu, kisa JK mwislam
Kwa hiyo Tatizo ni WAISLAMU? Bakwata iliundwa na serikali kama ilivyo idara nyingine yeyote ya Serikali ulitaka isemeje au hujui hilo? Wacheni kuharibu mada husika kwa yasiyohusiana. SIASA ZA TANZANIA ZINAHARIBIWA NA WENYE FIKRA MGANDO KAMA ZAKO. Hamtaki kutazama mmejikwaa wapi mnalaumu mlikoangukia. KISHA UNAJIITA GREAT THINKER!!

KAMA HUWEZI KUFIKIRI JAMBO DOGO kama hilo JE MAKUBWA UTAYAWEZA?

NUNDA MLA WATU MLIYEMFUGA SASA HASHIKIKI TENA...

Wivu wa kike/kishoga!

Shalom! Unamaanisha ulichokiandika au ni hamu tu ya kuandika imekutuma?

Mwenye mada amesahihisha je we hukuliona kosa? au msamiati ulikuchenga?

vema tusome na kuwaelewa wengine na kuziheshimu fikra zao, huo ndio upevu wa fikra na tutaelewa zaidi ya tuhitajivyo.

KUBADILIKA KIFIKRA KUTATUSAIDIA KUBADILIKA KIMATENDO. Hii ITATUPELEKEA KUWA WENYE MAWAZO TIMILIFU NA NIA ZILIZO THABITI Kwa Tanzania tuitakayo.

NASISITIZA TENA:

TATIZO LA KUU LA WATANZANIA:

NI UONGOZI USIO NA UTASHI, WANASIASA WASIOWAJIBIKA KWA MAJUKUMU YAO, WANAOWATUMIA WENGINE KWA MANUFAA YAO, HAIWAJALISHI GHARAMA YA MATENDO YAO KWA RAIA WAO.

Back
Top Bottom