Why Magufuli administration misses the point on Government splurge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amos 5:1-27

Communities of justification

God is not interested in how ‘religious’ you are. He is far more concerned about integrity, justice and righteousness. Without that religiosity is sheer hypocrisy. He says:
‘I can’t stand your religious meetings.
I’m fed up with your conferences and conventions.
I want nothing to do with your religion projects,
your pretentious slogans and goals.
I’m sick of your fund-raising schemes,
your public relations and image making.
I’ve had all I can take of your noisy ego-music.
When was the last time you sang to me?
Do you know what I want?
I want justice – oceans of it.
I want fairness – rivers of it.
That’s what I want. That’s all I want’ (vv.21–24, MSG).
A central outworking of justification by faith is that God’s people respond by acting with righteousness and justice. John Calvin once said, ‘It is therefore faith alone which justifies, and yet the faith which justifies is not alone.’ Our natural response to what God has done for us should be to act in line with his will.
Righteousness and justice have a central role in this passage and in the whole book of Amos. God wants justice for the poor. God speaks through the prophet Amos:

‘Because you run roughshod over the poor
and take the bread right out of their mouths,
You’re never going to move into
the luxury homes you have built.
You’re never going to drink wine
from the expensive vineyards you’ve planted.
I know precisely the extent of your violations,
the enormity of your sins. Appalling!
You bully right-living people,
taking bribes right and left and kicking the poor when they’re down.
Justice is a lost cause’ (vv.10–13, MSG).
God will not allow human injustice to continue for ever. He will intervene and bring about his justice. God hates injustice.
Issues of justice such as rescuing people from bonded labour or other forms of slavery, fighting against the trafficking of people for sex, and other forms of injustice, should be high on our agenda. They certainly seem to be high on God’s agenda: ‘Let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!’ (v.24).

Lord, thank you that faith alone justifies, but that faith should never be alone. Help me to live out my faith by acting righteously and seeking justice for all.

Pippa Adds

Psalm 86:2
‘Guard my life.’
There are terrible atrocities happening around the world and hazards of every kind. Even trying to follow Nicky on a bicycle, as he weaves his way (at great speed) through the streets of London, can be very alarming. ‘Guard our lives’ is a comforting prayer.

Verse of the Day

‘Pay attention, God, to my prayer; bend down and listen to my cry for help’ (Psalm 86:6, MSG).

Sent from my SM-A715F using JamiiForums mobile app

Amen
1594354852673.jpg

Sent from my SM-A715F using JamiiForums mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom