Why Magufuli administration misses the point on Government splurge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen!
PSX_20200702_194748.jpg

Sent from my SM-A715F using JamiiForums mobile app

2 Kings 19:14-20:21

Intercede for deliverance

Sometimes in your own life you may be faced with seemingly overwhelming problems. This is a great model of how to deal with them. Hezekiah did not despair. He did not panic. He did not give up. He turned to God in prayer.
This account of Hezekiah’s prayer and God’s deliverance is recorded three times in the Old Testament (see also Isaiah 36–39 and 2 Chronicles 32). Further, the events of this period are corroborated by Babylonian sources.
When Hezekiah received the threatening letter and was faced with a seemingly overwhelming problem, ‘He went up to the temple of the Lord and spread it out before the Lord’ (2 Kings 19:14). He prayed to the Lord, ‘O Lord… you alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You have made heaven and earth. Give ear, O Lord, and hear; open your eyes, O Lord, and see… Now, O Lord our God, deliver us from his hand, so that all kingdoms on earth may know that you alone, O Lord, are God’ (vv.15–19).
Hezekiah’s intercession begins by consciously recognising who God is. When we intercede we are speaking to the one who alone is, ‘God over all the kingdoms of the earth’ (v.15). God has the power to resolve these seemingly overwhelming problems.
Hezekiah’s prayer was for God’s honour and glory, ‘so that all kingdoms on earth may know that you alone, O Lord, are God’ (v.19). Jesus taught us to start our prayers, ‘Hallowed be your name, your kingdom come’ (Matthew 6:9–10).
I love the expression, ‘He… spread it out before the Lord’ (2 Kings 19:14). Hezekiah spoke to God about the problem. The prophet Isaiah sent a message to Hezekiah saying that God had heard his prayer. He delivered the people from the threat of the Assyrians in answer to Hezekiah’s intercession.
Hezekiah also prayed for his healing. He was ill, at the point of death (20:1), and he interceded on his own behalf: ‘Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the Lord’ (v.2). Again, God answered his intercession: ‘I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will heal you… I will add fifteen years to your life’ (vv.5–6).
Hezekiah experienced God’s amazing blessings in answer to his intercession. However, the passage ends with a note of warning. When envoys came from Babylon, Hezekiah showed off all his treasures (vv.12–15). He appeared to be taking the glory for all that the Lord had given him. Isaiah told him that as a result, ‘nothing will be left’ (v.17). If we take the glory for what the Lord does for us, it is at our own peril.

Lord, as we look around at the state of our city, our nation and our world, we need your deliverance. You alone are God over all the kingdoms of the earth. You made heaven and earth. Give ear, O Lord, and hear; open your eyes, O Lord, and see. Pour out your Holy Spirit again. May we see people seeking your name again. May we see miracles of healing. May we see the evangelisation of our nation, the revitalisation of the church and the transformation of society, so that all kingdoms on earth may know that you alone, O Lord, are God.

Week 3, Day 3 - Tuesday
When Paul was writing to the Colossian Church, he took the time to really emphasize the supremacy of Jesus, and for good reason. In this culture, people were extremely superstitious and believed in many different gods, demons, and spiritual forces that had the power to bless and curse.
People constantly lived in fear. They practiced many different rituals and even worshiped angels to find protection. Many truly believed that through their effort and activity, they would be able to protect themselves and even grow spiritually.
In a sense, it’s not very different from the culture we live in today. Of course, there may be other reasons to be fearful, but it doesn’t take much more than a short glimpse at the news to start feeling anxious about something. So we need to constantly remind ourselves who holds power and that the buck stops with Jesus.
He is, and was, and is still to come. He is the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. Everything beautiful that you have come to know and love is directly from His hand. Before anything was ever created, you were already written on the hands and heart of our loving Savior.
Through Him alone, we experience the fullness of life, the light of salvation, and the hope of overcoming. Everything is subject to him, and there is no sin, power, circumstance, person, or even virus that can ever hinder God from doing His work in your life. Darkness can never distinguish the light of Jesus! So we need never lose hope.
There is nobody who knows you better, more intimately, more deeply. If you desire heart change and transformation, then look no further. Because He created you and knows you, there is no other place to go, no other relationship to seek out, nowhere else you can find the exact remedy for spiritual growth and transformation.
Reflection Question:
Knowing that Jesus is supreme, what is one thing that you can surrender and entrust at the feet of our Sovereign Lord today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom