Why Magufuli administration misses the point on Government splurge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proverbs 19:13-22

Money is not everything

The book of Proverbs has a remarkably balanced understanding of wealth and poverty. Neither is seen as wholly good or wholly bad. They are understood as part of the wider fabric of life, and you are encouraged to use what you have wisely.
‘Houses and wealth are inherited from parents, but a prudent wife is from the Lord’ (v.14). There is nothing wrong with houses or wealth; but there are more important things in life. Finding the right marriage partner is far more important than having lots of money.
For those tempted to work too hard in pursuit of money or any other goal, it is important to remember the sovereignty of God: ‘Many are the plans in a human heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails’ (v.21). Taking ‘Sabbath rest’ and holidays is a sign that you trust in God’s sovereignty.
Wealth is not the most important thing in life; nor is poverty the worst thing that can happen to you: ‘What a person desires is unfailing love; better to be poor than a liar’ (v.22). We need love far more than we need riches. Integrity of character is far more important than money.
On the other hand, this passage does not exalt poverty as a virtue. Sometimes poverty can be self-inflicted: ‘Laziness brings on deep sleep, and the shiftless go hungry’ (v.15).
Whatever the reason may be for a person’s poverty, be kind to the poor: ‘Those who are kind to the poor lend to the Lord, and he will reward them for what they have done’ (v.17).
This is an extraordinary and wonderful promise. God is no person’s debtor. Every time you do something kind for a poor person, you are lending to the Lord and he will repay with interest. Often, we see amazing blessings in the lives of those who spend their time ministering with the poor, the homeless and the prisoners.

Lord, I entrust you with my finances and my future. Help me to live a life of generosity to all – especially the poor.

Voice of reason
IMG_20200730_224602_273.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom