Why Every Windows User Needs a Linux Live CD

Invisible

Robot
Feb 11, 2006
Has your Windows computer ever failed to boot or refused to go online?

These problems seem to happen at the most inopportune times. You're going to a business meeting and just want to print out that financial report, you're going to school and you need to print that term paper, you need to do some last minute research online, or you need to get that important email. You could probably fix the Windows problem if you had an hour or two, but right now you just need to get what you want off of the computer. What do you do? Linux to the rescue. Linux is that OTHER operating system that you don’t understand. Linux has gotten the reputation over the years as being for computer geeks only. Linux comes in several versions (distros), each slightly different. Many of those distros have started trying to make Linux more user friendly and visually more like windows (the die hard Linux users don’t like that part). Many of the distros offer a “live” CD that boots the operating system from the CD and makes no changes to your hard drive. The live CD will take several minutes to load, includes a web browser, word processor, email and much more. But here is the beautiful part; it will read your windows files so that you can access your documents, photos and mp3 files that are on the hard drive. If you have a printer hooked up to your computer, you can print your files. If you have a CD burner you can burn your files to a CD to retrieve them from your Windows system.

This won’t retrieve files if the problem is a bad power supply, damaged motherboard or non-working hard drive (it MAY retrieve from a damaged hard drive). But if the problem is viruses, damaged registry, bad boot sector or a host of other possible Windows problems, this will work. So every Windows user needs a Linux Live CD for emergencies. A LIVE CD won’t run as fast as what you are used to, after all, it is running from the CD, not the hard drive. It also won’t have all of the features you normally have, but this is an emergency.

If you have no desire to learn anything about Linux, I would suggest downloading the Linspire 5.0 Live CD (all links below). It looks almost just like Windows, has the familiar My Computer icon and will let you move about the files in your computer very easily, you can easily forget it isn’t windows. Other good live distros are MEPIS 3.3 and Knoppix. These don’t look exactly like Windows, but give you the same abilities as Linspire. Instead of My Computer, each drive will have its own icon on the desktop. The Windows partition will most likely be hda1. Another good live distro is SUSE 9.3, but it is a 1.5GB download and must be burned to a DVD. All feature the K3B CD burner software that will let you back up any data. They should recognize any installed printers and install any necessary drivers. They all ran fine with my N-Vidia and Radeon graphics cards, but all did not run well on my computer with an XGI Volari card, Linux doesn’t have a driver for it.
If you are not familiar with burning ISO images to CD, you don’t just burn them to CD like mp3 files. ISO images allow the transfer of large amounts of data containing several files to be handled as a single file. It must be burned to CD as an ISO or disk image so that the files can be separated again. Check your CD burning software for additional info.

OK, so here are the links to the LIVE Cds.

Linspire 5.0 (available here) as bit torrent download)

MEPIS 3.3 (download Simply Mepis 3.3- when you run it sign in password is same as sign in name- demo=demo, root=root
(available here)

Knoppix 3.9 (make sure you get the English version- EN 3.9 is the latest)
(available here)

SUSE 9.3 LIVE (1.5 GB DVD ISO)
(available here)

If you should ever decide you want to install Linux on your computer, most are free (Linspire isn’t) and come with a full package of software. Of the ones I have tried (and there are many that I haven’t), I think MEPIS and SUSE were the easiest for a hard-core Windows user to get comfortable with. Knoppix is a live version only and is not intended for installation. So download an ISO or two and give it a try, you’ll be glad you have it when you need it.

HI INVISIBLE

mimi bado sijafikia hatua ya kuachana na windows naomba uzoefu wako katika linux nami nitakupa katika windows kisha tuanzishe mjadala mzuri zaidi

jioni njema

These problems seem to happen at the most inopportune times. You're going to a business meeting and just want to print out that financial report, you're going to school and you need to print that term paper, you need to do some last minute research online, or you need to get that important email. You could probably fix the Windows problem if you had an hour or two, but right now you just need to get what you want off of the computer. What do you do? Linux to the rescue. Linux is that OTHER operating system that you don’t understand. Linux has gotten the reputation over the years as being for computer geeks only. Linux comes in several versions (distros), each slightly different. Many of those distros have started trying to make Linux more user friendly and visually more like windows (the die hard Linux users don’t like that part). Many of the distros offer a “live” CD that boots the operating system from the CD and makes no changes to your hard drive. The live CD will take several minutes to load, includes a web browser, word processor, email and much more. But here is the beautiful part; it will read your windows files so that you can access your documents, photos and mp3 files that are on the hard drive. If you have a printer hooked up to your computer, you can print your files. If you have a CD burner you can burn your files to a CD to retrieve them from your Windows system.

This won’t retrieve files if the problem is a bad power supply, damaged motherboard or non-working hard drive (it MAY retrieve from a damaged hard drive). But if the problem is viruses, damaged registry, bad boot sector or a host of other possible Windows problems, this will work. So every Windows user needs a Linux Live CD for emergencies. A LIVE CD won’t run as fast as what you are used to, after all, it is running from the CD, not the hard drive. It also won’t have all of the features you normally have, but this is an emergency.

If you have no desire to learn anything about Linux, I would suggest downloading the Linspire 5.0 Live CD (all links below). It looks almost just like Windows, has the familiar My Computer icon and will let you move about the files in your computer very easily, you can easily forget it isn’t windows. Other good live distros are MEPIS 3.3 and Knoppix. These don’t look exactly like Windows, but give you the same abilities as Linspire. Instead of My Computer, each drive will have its own icon on the desktop. The Windows partition will most likely be hda1. Another good live distro is SUSE 9.3, but it is a 1.5GB download and must be burned to a DVD. All feature the K3B CD burner software that will let you back up any data. They should recognize any installed printers and install any necessary drivers. They all ran fine with my N-Vidia and Radeon graphics cards, but all did not run well on my computer with an XGI Volari card, Linux doesn’t have a driver for it.
If you are not familiar with burning ISO images to CD, you don’t just burn them to CD like mp3 files. ISO images allow the transfer of large amounts of data containing several files to be handled as a single file. It must be burned to CD as an ISO or disk image so that the files can be separated again. Check your CD burning software for additional info.

MEPIS 3.3 (download Simply Mepis 3.3- when you run it sign in password is same as sign in name- demo=demo, root=root
(available here)

(available here)

(available here)

If you should ever decide you want to install Linux on your computer, most are free (Linspire isn’t) and come with a full package of software. Of the ones I have tried (and there are many that I haven’t), I think MEPIS and SUSE were the easiest for a hard-core Windows user to get comfortable with. Knoppix is a live version only and is not intended for installation. So download an ISO or two and give it a try, you’ll be glad you have it when you need it.

mimi ninayo knoppix live cd not dvd only single cd in kila kitu, huwa ni nzuri kwakweli kama mtu akishindwa kudownload ani pm ninaweza kumpa copy.

(available here)

(available here)

(available here)

mimi ninayo knoppix live cd not dvd only single cd in kila kitu, huwa ni nzuri kwakweli kama mtu akishindwa kudownload ani pm ninaweza kumpa copy. Dar

..currently,

..linspire 6.0 is available,for a price of course!

..but there's freespire 2.0,which is current and free as it suggests.

..linux inahitaji utundu wa matumizi ya pc/mac na softwares,ama sivyo usijihangaishe bila msaada wa mtu anayeweza,usije haribu mambo.

..the good thing about linux is,you'll be worrying much less about viruses.

Mkuu Invisible,

Mimi nimejaribu ku-install Linux nilizowahi kuzipata kutoka katika websites zifuatazo mojawapo ikiwa ni ya wenyewe Linux na ni superb.

Wanayo pia live CD ambayo inaweza kurun katika computer bila kuji-install katika hard drive.

Chaguo zangu mbili hi hizi:

Linux Mint4, Main Edition: http://linuxmint.com/download.html

na PCLinuxOS 2007: http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_ionfiles&Itemid=28

Mint imebase kwenye Ubuntu na user friendly nzuri tu.

Pia unaweza uka-load PCLinuxOS kwenye RAM kama una 1gb au zaidi na kutoka hapo (ukiisha load) itakuwa much faster kuliko ikianzia katika CD.

..kidogo kuhusu linux..

..linux ina distributions nyingi na zinafahamika al-maarufu kwa kifupi kama distro!

..linux distro za maana ni pamoja na,ubuntu,pclinuxos,fedora,opensuse,mepis,knoppix,etc. the most popular one is ubuntu and has a lot of support. but pclinuxos is pretty good too!

..hizi zote huwa na mandhari kuu mbili,ilihali nyingine si za maana!,hizo ni gnome na kde. hivi sasa the latest gnome is 2.22 na kde is 4.0.3.

..katika hizi mbili[gnome na kde],kde inafanana kwa karibu na windows,katika maana ya namna inavyofanya kazi. gnome iko tafauti na kwa mawazo yangu hii ndio inayomfanya mtu ajione anatumia linux,ingawa zote ni linux[kde inawafaa zaidi wale waliozoea windows na ni wageni kabisa katika linux]

..kwa habari zaidi go to distrowatch.com

Invisible na watafiti wa IT,

Nimetumia Linux Live CDS, sana sana Slackware, Gentoo na Knoppix.Moja ya sababu muhimu kabisa ya kuwa na a Linux Live CD ni recovery.

Kuna mshkaji kanishtua kafanya mazabe gani sijui Vista imemlock out, inamuuliza a change password wakati alikuwa hana password. Nimedownload Ophcrack iso kuiburn kwenye CD na kujaribisha kwenye Vista yangu haikufua dafu.

Nakumbuka nilishafanya kitu kama hiki kirahisi kwenye XP na kubadilisha password ya mtu aliyeshindwa ku login kwenye computer yake mwenyewe.Lakini inaonekana Vista security yake tofauti kidogo.

Any idea? Im afraid my testing of Ophcrack was not very encouraging and my man is locked out in the cold.

Kuna mshkaji kanishtua kafanya mazabe gani sijui Vista imemlock out, inamuuliza a change password wakati alikuwa hana password. Nimedownload Ophcrack iso kuiburn kwenye CD na kujaribisha kwenye Vista yangu haikufua dafu.

..duh,noma!

..nilisoma mahala muda kidogo kwamba it's near to impossible ukitokewa na kitu kama hicho kwenye vista. ila nadhani vista ina muda sasa na workaround za hiyo issue zinaweza patikana.

..will do some research and post what i'll find to be meaningful hapa!

Any idea? Im afraid my testing of Ophcrack was not very encouraging and my man is locked out in the cold.

..pundit,

..mwambie jamaa awashe hiyo pc,inapoanza ku-boot abonyeze f8 [au key itakayompeleka kwenye safe mode booting].

..aki-boot into safe mode itamleta kwenye administrator account [hakuna haja ya password],hivyo ataweza ku-reset user account.

..hii njia inaonekana ni upungufu fulani wa usalama katika vista [security flaw],lakini ndio hivyo tena. simply kwasasa haina maana sana kuweka password kwenye vista,labda katika kuzuia prying eyes tu.

..kama amefanikiwa kabla ya hii post then its good. hii itabaki for future reference [kama microsoft hawaja-fix hii flaw].

mimi ninayo knoppix live cd not dvd only single cd in kila kitu, huwa ni nzuri kwakweli kama mtu akishindwa kudownload ani pm ninaweza kumpa copy. Dar
ndugu uliye sema una copy ya linux ningeomba unipatie tafadhali,mimi na patikana dar sijui wewe na weza kukupata vipi?

tzLUG is trying it best to make as may distributions available to the Tanzanians. Please visit our Get Linux and see what we have. We are working on a better distribution plan and we will update you all.

Another good use of live cds,

For those who forgot their passwords on windows machines, just boot from a linux cd and copy a certain file and do some magic with jack.
****you'll get all the passwords and user names of users on that pc in a few hours****

cheers

HI INVISIBLE

mimi bado sijafikia hatua ya kuachana na windows naomba uzoefu wako katika linux nami nitakupa katika windows kisha tuanzishe mjadala mzuri zaidi

jioni njema

Shy, Linux ni nzuri kuliko windows mimi binafsi nime-install operating systems mbili Linux na windows, ila najikuta mara nyingi sana natumia Linux kwa sababu haina mililingo mimgi sana kwenye utumiaji hasa unapokuwa kwenye mtandao. Vile vile Linux haiwezi kuingiwa na Virus. most of the Linux ni free na ni open kwa computer progammer yeyeote kui-modify na ku-upated member wengine wa linux community.

HI INVISIBLE

jioni njema

-More secure
-Portable operating system
-Free and open source (Nchi yetu tulio wengi hatuna uwezo wa kununua licence za microsoft). Probably copy unayojivunia ya windows ni counterfeit.

Hizo ndo advantage kwa upande wangu. Mimi natumia linux (FC 10). Nafanya kila kitu kwenye kompyuta yangu. from software develpment to use of application software to do certain tasks. I can play music with my machine. I have all the best softwares for entertainment i.e. vlc which i downloaded them from the net. Since i installed this os, system haijawai ku crash. I migrated from windows sababu nilikuwa naspend muda mwingi ku revive mashine eti imekufa sababu ya virusi. NAweza kuiacha computer yangu ipo connected mtandaoni 24/7 na bado naendelea kupeta. nawahimiza na wengine mjiunge

-More secure
-Portable operating system
-Free and open source (Nchi yetu tulio wengi hatuna uwezo wa kununua licence za microsoft). Probably copy unayojivunia ya windows ni counterfeit.

Hizo ndo advantage kwa upande wangu. Mimi natumia linux (FC 10). Nafanya kila kitu kwenye kompyuta yangu. from software develpment to use of application software to do certain tasks. I can play music with my machine. I have all the best softwares for entertainment i.e. vlc which i downloaded them from the net. Since i installed this os, system haijawai ku crash. I migrated from windows sababu nilikuwa naspend muda mwingi ku revive mashine eti imekufa sababu ya virusi. NAweza kuiacha computer yangu ipo connected mtandaoni 24/7 na bado naendelea kupeta. nawahimiza na wengine mjiunge

Nakuunga mkono, mimi ni Linux Suse 11- natumia GNOME Desktop environment na Imeshauriwa intumike hiyo na sio version nyingine ya linux, Previous nilikuwa natumia Linux Madriva ambayo inafanana sana na Windows Milenium Edition.

Ila kuna swali naomba kuuliza; Kuna Tofauti gani kubwa kati ya GNOME na KDE Desktop Environment za linux zaidi ya Urembo tu ulioko kwenye KDE???

Nakuunga mkono, mimi ni Linux Suse 11- natumia GNOME Desktop environment na Imeshauriwa intumike hiyo na sio version nyingine ya linux, Previous nilikuwa natumia Linux Madriva ambayo inafanana sana na Windows Milenium Edition.

Ila kuna swali naomba kuuliza; Kuna Tofauti gani kubwa kati ya GNOME na KDE Desktop Environment za linux zaidi ya Urembo tu ulioko kwenye KDE???

Suse linux naikubali sana yaani ipo user friendly na huwa naiona inamfaa mtu amabaye amezoea kutumia windows sana. Hatapata tabu kujifunza.To the user point of view naona differences ipo kwenye urembo kama unavyosema na jinsi unavyo interact na system kwa kutumia menus. Naona ni mambo nya muonekano zaidi. kuna watu wana prefer gnome kuna watu wan prefer kde. ila kam we ni developer na reccommend uwe nazo zote ili uweze kudevelop application za kde na application za gnome.

Suse linux naikubali sana yaani ipo user friendly na huwa naiona inamfaa mtu amabaye amezoea kutumia windows sana. Hatapata tabu kujifunza.To the user point of view naona differences ipo kwenye urembo kama unavyosema na jinsi unavyo interact na system kwa kutumia menus. Naona ni mambo nya muonekano zaidi. kuna watu wana prefer gnome kuna watu wan prefer kde. ila kam we ni developer na reccommend uwe nazo zote ili uweze kudevelop application za kde na application za gnome.

Nimekupata Freelancer, Wakati natumia Linux SUSE version 9.3 nilifanikiwa ku-install Desktop zote mbili GNOME na KDE. Ila nimekwa ku-install Desktop zote mbili za Linux SUSE version 11. Niliweka KDE nikashindwa kuingoza GNOME Desktop. Baadae nikatoa KDE nikaweka GNOME vile vile nikashindwa ku-install KDE ili niwe naweza ku-switch between the two Desktop Environments.

Kama kuna mwenye kautaalamu animegee hilo desa la ku-install both desktop Environments, Nina CD tatu za Linux SuSE11. Live CD ya KDE, Live CD ya GNOME na Add on Cd.

Back
Top Bottom