Who owns East Africa?

Mwaisumbe

Sep 13, 2011
It is good to be part and parcel for this forum, though I have been one of the effective participator by reading of ll what other stake holder has been contributing, I think its time also to share and burst of what I have, I hope most of you your saying "karibu" Asante.
Well I don't want to shift you from whatever it's going on! But I want you to share my concern, through this question who wants to own East Africa?!

What is behind the East African Cooperation? As the days lapse, the much unclear information we receive from our leaders of the East African region. Actually, we find ourselves shocked from time to time whenever they come up with different regulations, policies, agreements and so forth. I used to ask myself, who gave them the mandate to undertake what they are currently busy with? Making policies and starting implementing them without the citizen's permission or concerns? Which constitution provides those powers they use to apply and decide electing leaders to fill the positions of East African vacancies?

Another surprise is the tendency of the media in Tanzania to take news related to East African issues as a priority while it is rare to experience such approach in other East African countries! Now we have reached a stage of having a common market; and my presumption is that we would be moving ahead other steps without doing a thorough evaluation on how we as Tanzanians have so far benefited from this early stage. I also think we were supposed to measure the progress and decide whether it is worth to continue with this union or not, or even if we may change the way we cooperate with other countries. My understanding is that, a country may cooperate advantageously with other countries even without having a union.

The critical issue to note here is that the citizens have the right to know every aspect of the cooperation ranging from benefits, problems and how snags have been addressed and the way forward. My concern is that what are our priorities as Tanzanians? And to what category do we regard East Africa as a niche to Tanzania economy? Are we real aware of what is going on in other countries? Are they genuinely serious about East Africa as we do? How much energy, time and resource do we spend for East Africa? The main question here is that have we forgotten our priority and turn to think that East Africa is the answer for our economic woes?

Every economic development initiatives should have a contribution from the natives who are the key stakeholders. People of the country are the ones with a mandate to shape the way they need the union to be, and in fact need to know exactly how the union is going to work, as we have seen in previous years for the European Union; they underwent all necessary steps to involve the citizens and later on vote to agree to have union, and the shape of the union they should have. Economy is neither a method nor a kind of a formula that you have to follow as you did in previous years. And the role should not be played by only certain people but involve participation of everyone.

I think it is myopic to think that in order to benefit more from these kinds of cooperation; you should always strive to be a key leader of the union. Here I mean you ought to be the headquarters of the union. This could be just to blind your mind so that psychologically you might think that you lead the crew, but it the fact is the otherwise. Is someone in mission to own East Africa? I think we have to slow down and if possible let us go back to our people and shape the union we want from the fact that the key players of the East African Cooperation are the citizens of Tanzania. Let us decide structure of the union we dream to have. "That's my concern"

Frank Mwaisumbe

Karibu Mwaisumbe...

Good question but please try to use paragraphs when you write long articles like this one...

Unasema tumesahau priority zetu. Labda unaweza kuanza kwa kutuambia au kutukumbushia what are our priorities. Kwa nini watu mna phobia ya kuungana? Hivi vinchi vidogo vidogo vya Afrika vitaendelea kuwa banana republics kama hakuna juhudi za kuleta muungano wa kweli. Na sisi East Africa we have a unique opportunity, a unique geography of creating a great nation of the peoples of East Africa. Tusiogope muungano. Let us embrace it with all the challenges.

Asante kwa kuamsha hisia kwa swali lako Jasusi,
kwanza kwa tafsiri ya haraka Phobia ni hofu (fear) kwangu mimi hofu haiwezi kuwa hulka yaani tabia kama ulivyosema. Sidhani kama kuna mtanzania asiyependa kuungana, lakini naomba urudie kusoma swali langu la msingi. Napenda kukumbusha vipau mbele vyetu vya msingi, Watu (Wenye mahitaji ya msingi,Elimu, Afya, maisha bora, Ajira n.k)) Ardhi, Siasa safi na uongozi bora.

Tunaweza kuanzania hapo. Mwamnzoni mwa hoja yangu kwa makusudi kabisa nimeandika Cooperation!! nadhani unajua maana ya neno hilo, linatofauti kubwa na Union au federation! Sasa mimi sitaki nikuongoze katika kile ninachotaka tukijadiri tafadhari rudia kusoma hoja yangu.

Nimekusoma. Unasema tunaweza kushirikiana na nchi nyingine bila kuwa na union. Hivyo ndivyo tulivyo hivi sasa. Tunashirikiana na jirani zetu wote mpaka tumeondoleana visa za kuingia nchini. Lakini tunaogopa nini kufanya political union? Kuweka nguvu zetu pamoja katika majeshi, katika siasa na katika uchumi? What is wrong with a political union? Why so much fear? I see more benefits in a political union than just kushirikiana na nchi nyingine. Unanielewa? Let us get rid of our phobias, fears, etc and let us embrace the future.

Nimekusoma. Unasema tunaweza kushirikiana na nchi nyingine bila kuwa na union. Hivyo ndivyo tulivyo hivi sasa. Tunashirikiana na jirani zetu wote mpaka tumeondoleana visa za kuingia nchini. Lakini tunaogopa nini kufanya political union? Kuweka nguvu zetu pamoja katika majeshi, katika siasa na katika uchumi? What is wrong with a political union? Why so much fear? I see more benefits in a political union than just kushirikiana na nchi nyingine. Unanielewa? Let us get rid of our phobias, fears, etc and let us embrace the future.

Jasusi we have so many other problems that haven't been solved; like unemployment, energy, union, foreign policy, national interest, land issue, mineral, corruption and so forth. Now you want to add more?

What the OP is questioning has nothing to do with xenophobia but a legitimate concern about his country and people. Museveni wants to be the president of east Africa federation, the man who's leadership is known to rule with an iron fist. I respect your stand and how important it is to our economy but why so fast?

When you have millions of Tanzanians questioning about this federation, you have to take a note. Our leaders lack seriousness when it comes to negotiating and protecting our resources. We have seen the same people sign bogus deals like Richmond and many many others, how can we trust the same people who have shown weakness in leadership to negotiate matters of EA federation? This is what the OP is asking, he want to know if there is a secret agenda that the rest of us are unaware of.

Jasusi we have so many other problems that we haven't been able to solve like employment, energy, union, foreign policy, national interest, land issue, mineral, corruption and so forth. Now you wanna add another burden like people with no land to our backyard? Come on man!

What the OP is questioning has nothing to do with xenophobia but a legitimate concern about his country and his people. You have people like Museveni who wants to be the president of east Africa federation, the man who's leadership is known for ruling with the iron of fist. Look! I respect your stand on this one and how important it is to our economy in the region but why so fast?

When you have millions of Tanzanian questioning this then you bet there are some legitimate concern. Our leaders are known for the lack of seriousness when it comes to negotiating with other leaders especially in protecting our resources. We have seen the same people signing bogus deals like Richmond and many many others, then how can we trust the same people who have shown some weakness in leadership to negotiate on EA federation matters? This is what the OP is asking, he wanna know if there is a secret agenda that the rest of us are unaware of.

You have to look beyond Museveni. He will not be there forever. Uganda will be there forever. You cannot wait until you solve your unemployment, energy, education and what have you problems before you can look to uniting. Just imagine if Tanzania and Kenya, since they are the only East African countries that are not landlocked, had one Naval army patrolling the east african coast. Just imagine if we united our armies, the airforce, the infantry, we would be a formidable force. One lucky thing we have in East Africa is that all our soldiers speak Kiswahili. The reason Tanzanians are questioning the values of an east african federation is because we do not have keen leadership. We have a president who is neutral when it comes to the federation issue but will not hesitate to go to America to ask for a patrol boat. You ask why so fast? How long should we wait? If it cannot be done now then when?

You have to look beyond Museveni. He will not be there forever. Uganda will be there forever. You cannot wait until you solve your unemployment, energy, education and what have you problems before you can look to uniting. Just imagine if Tanzania and Kenya, since they are the only East African countries that are not landlocked, had one Naval army patrolling the east african coast. Just imagine if we united our armies, the airforce, the infantry, we would be a formidable force. One lucky thing we have in East Africa is that all our soldiers speak Kiswahili. The reason Tanzanians are questioning the values of an east african federation is because we do not have keen leadership. We have a president who is neutral when it comes to the federation issue but will not hesitate to go to America to ask for a patrol boat. You ask why so fast? How long should we wait? If it cannot be done now then when?

I hear you loud and clear and I'm not OK with that either, not because I don't like how the business is conducted but because of fairness. I'd like to use Nyerere's quote, I don't remember the exact quotation but it goes like this, "In the world of boxing there is a heavy weight, middle weight and light weight,... you don't put the heavy weight and light weight together, it's a murder....you protect the weak until they're strong".

So my concern about the giant is the same as yours, it's only a retarded person who'd think everything from the US is gravy.

Cooperating with our neighbors is good no doubt about that but not with this leadership, you asked me how long should we wait? Well, until we have somebody who can protect our people and interests, someone who is not a wishy washy, a leader who is not afraid to say no, a Nyerere type and trust me on this not so long before we will have that person at Magogoni.

there are things we can not change bro,all u have to do is to c how u can benefit from the opportunities this union presents.Alternatively force ua govt.to hold a referendum on this issue,by the way ,we are tied to hear u guys complaining all the time.

Tanganyika iliungana na Zanzibar, Tanganyika ikafa zanzibar ikabaki, tukapata Tanzania na zanzibar, Kwa vichwa vya viongozi wetu, tukijiunga kwenye EAC, Jina la Tanzania tutalitupa tujiite East Africa.

Hivi mbona watu wanasahau mapema hivi. Tulikuwa na East Afrcan Community ambayo Kenya kwa kuwafuata makuwadi wao wa UK waliiiua kwa makusudi kabisa, wanaokumbuka wakati ule tulikuwa na East African Airways nk. Je tunahitaji kula matapishi yetu tena kwa sababu Kenya wana nyege zaidi na EAC? Ukiangalia kwa undani Kenya wamegundua kwamba hata kile walichokuwa wanaringia hakipo tena, utalii ambao ulikuwa unawaingizia pesa nyingi ambao upo mikononi mwa makampuni ya UK umeanza kudorora na unaonyesha stagnation wakati utalii huo huo unakua kwa kasi nchini Tanzania, ule uongo wao wa vivutio unagwaya.

Export zao nyingi kwa mfano mboga na matunda unategemea sana hari shwari kaskazini mwa Tanzania, usione wananunua vitunguu na mbogamboga ukadhani zinatumika Kenya wao wanauza UK kwa bei nzuri zaidi. Huu ni wakati wa Tanzania kujidhatiti na kuachana na siasa za miungano ya Afrika etc. kwa takriban miaka 40 tumekuwa tunaimba huo wimbo wakati wenzetu walikuwa wanasonga mbele na maendeleo yao its time to look inside our house and repair the damage. Unfortunately tumepata rais mwizi ambaye anafikiria kujenga hekalu Msoga na kupanua Bagamoyo na sio maendeleo ya nchi. Huyu ni aibu kwa UDSM waliomsomesha na anakipa sifa mbaya hicho chuo.

Tanzania amkeni na kuchukua hatua mikononi mwenu, tuna kila sababu ya kupinga udhalimu na uonevu hawa viongozi wanataka kujificha kwenye EAC ambayo itakuwa haina nguvu kwenye nchi husika hakuna anayetaka kuchukua responsibilities. No EAF acheni Kenya wafederate na Somalia, Sudan pamoja na Ethiopia.

Naunga hoja ya mtoa mada kwani inachokoza kufikiri! Wkt mwingi hata mimi napata kigugumizi kukubali kuwa viongozi wetu tuliowapa dhamana ya kutuongoza wana dhamira ya kweli na utashi wa kulinda maslahi yetu wa-Tanzania ktk hili swala la EAU kutokana na hila za wenzetu tunaokusudia kuungana nao! Mifano michache -

Wkt wanazungumzia kuiuza EA kama !Common Tourist Destination" uhalisia unaonyesha kuwa Kenya bado wanaendelea kuiuza Serengeti na hata Mt.Kilimanjaro kwamba viko kwao, na mbaya zaidi wanakusudia hata kujenga uwanja mkubwa wa ndege Taveta ili kukamata soko la watalii wanaotembelea kaskazini mwa Tz, wakati viongozi wetu wanaona uwanja wa KIA unadorora na hawachukui hatua -

Mtu unashawishika kufikiri hawataki uchangamke mno usije weka kiwingu kwenye biashara zao na waarabu ikiwa ni pamoja kutorosha wanyama wetu hai!

Mie napenda tuungane haraka na wengine maana sioni kama kwa dunia ya sasa kuna njia mbadala ya kujenga uwezo wa kukabiliana na mataifa kama India, China na yale ya magharibi zaidi ya kuungana. Wasiwasi wangu ni kuwa approach inayotumika kutafuta muungano sidhani kama itatuwezesha kufikia lengo.

Mie naona hakuna muungano uliofikiwa kwa kura za maoni za wananchi husika. Si rahisi watu kukubaliana kuhusu muungano maana watu hatuwazi sawa. kwa mfano ni rahisi watanzania wengi kuiona kenya au uganda kama kitisho sana lakini wasione kama India, China ni kitisho kikubwa zaidi. Ktk mazingira hayo ni kulazimisha tu ndio effective ktk hilo.

Mie napenda tuungane haraka na wengine maana sioni kama kwa dunia ya sasa kuna njia mbadala ya kujenga uwezo wa kukabiliana na mataifa kama India, China na yale ya magharibi zaidi ya kuungana. Wasiwasi wangu ni kuwa approach inayotumika kutafuta muungano sidhani kama itatuwezesha kufikia lengo. Mie naona hakuna muungano uliofikiwa kwa kura za maoni za wananchi husika. Si rahisi watu kukubaliana kuhusu muungano maana watu hatuwazi sawa. kwa mfano ni rahisi watanzania wengi kuiona kenya au uganda kama kitisho sana lakini wasione kama India, China ni kitisho kikubwa zaidi. Ktk mazingira hayo ni kulazimisha tu ndio effective ktk hilo.

Utamlazimisha nani katika karne hii? Huo muungano wa Zanzibar na Tanganyika tu unawatoa kamasi itakuwa nchi zaidi ya tano.

Viinimacho kama kawaida! Ukiwauliza wengi kama wanawaamini watawala watakwambia hapana, sasa shangaa kuwa watawala walafi haohao wameachiwa jukumu la kutupeleka katikati ya kundi la manyang'au na mafisi!! Nchi zikishaimarika na kustawi ndo zinaweza kuungana siyo watu mko choka mbaya mnadanganywa kuwa muungane.

Angalieni hata EU ni laini kama toilet paper, nchi zilizokuwa dhaifu sasa hivi ni dhaifu zaidi (mfano Greece na Portugal) kukitokea tatizo kidogo wanavunja vipengele vya mikataba yao (kumbuka juzi tu mkataba wa Shengen) Kwa kweli binafsi nitalishangaa sana jeshi letu likiruhusu hawa wanasiasa uchwara waiuze nchi kwa kisingizio cha muungano. .

Mie napenda tuungane haraka na wengine maana sioni kama kwa dunia ya sasa kuna njia mbadala ya kujenga uwezo wa kukabiliana na mataifa kama India, China na yale ya magharibi zaidi ya kuungana.
Unaona sasa matatizo yanayotokea Kenya, sasa tungeungana ki siasa haraka haraka si ingekuwa shida?

Unaona sasa matatizo yanayotokea Kenya, sasa tungeungana ki siasa haraka haraka si ingekuwa shida?
Kweli kabisa ndugu yangu Chamoto, nilisha badili mawazo kitambo. Sasa hivi naona kabisa kila nchi itatue matatizo yake. Tushughulikie matatizo yetu kwa nguvu, mambo ya kuungana tuachane nayo kabisa, yatatuletea matatizo makubwa.

Back
Top Bottom