where is one shilling? | JamiiForums | The Home of Great Thinkers

Dismiss Notice
You are browsing this site as a guest. It takes 2 minutes to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and less than 1 minute to LOGIN

where is one shilling?

Discussion in 'Jukwaa la Elimu (Education Forum)' started by Castle, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Castle

Castle Member

Feb 25, 2010
    I am sending this email to y ou because I know you are good in maths. Now tell me where is the remaining 1 shilling from this story?

Three friends went to a hotel. The bill was Shs. 75/- Each one contributed Shs.25 /-. The waiter took the bill to the cashier.
    The cashier was happy & decided to give them a discount of Shs.5/- & asked the waiter to return them shs.5/-.

Now the waiter was confused on how to distribute Shs 5 among 3 persons? He kept Shs 2 in his pocket & gave one Shilling to each one of the 3 persons.

So initially each one had contributed Shs.25. Now as they are given
    1 Shilling back, their contribution reduces to Shs 24. They all contributed Shs. 24 -- that is 24x3=72 & 2 Shillings are in the
    waiters pocket.

The total becomes 74. But they paid Shs. 75.

Where is the remaining 1 Shilling?

2. Pape

Pape JF-Expert Member

Feb 25, 2010
    2 shillings were taken by the water!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice