Whats the point of Masters degree?

Game Theory

JF-Expert Member
Sep 5, 2006
hivi whats the point of masters degree? i believe its something invented by white people to make them feel better of themselves. Being Mzungu means to engage in a day in, day out struggle to prove that you are smarter than other wazungus. By the time they reach college, most white people are confronted with the fact that they may not be as smart as they imagined.

In coffee shops, bars, and classes white people will engage in conversations about authors and theorists that go nowhere as both parties start rattling off progressively more obscure people until eventually one side recognizes one and claims a victory. By the time they graduate (or a year or two afterwards), white people realize that they will need an edge to succeed in the cut-throat world of modern white society.

That edge is graduate school.

well at least thats my experience with these wazungus

Someone is bitter about Wazungu!! LOL...And there i was thinking a masters degree is sometimes needed for better pay as some workplaces do actually put it in their requirements...Seems the Grad school you at isnt doing a good job in their Careers Department!!

Someone is bitter about Wazungu!! LOL...And there i was thinking a masters degree is sometimes needed for better pay as some workplaces do actually put it in their requirements...Seems the Grad school you at isnt doing a good job in their Careers Department!!

Kapinga,

I think GT is discussing the relevancy of Masters degree content, not it's superficial marketplace benefits.In fact he is attacking it's superficiality.Wewe ukiongelea edge inayokupa kwenye market bila kujibu swali la msingi kwamba content yake inasaidia vipi una-vindicate argument ya GT.

Kapinga,

I think GT is discussing the relevancy of Masters degree content, not it's superficial marketplace benefits.In fact he is attacking it's superficiality.Wewe ukiongelea edge inayokupa kwenye market bila kujibu swali la msingi kwamba content yake inasaidia vipi una-vindicate argument ya GT.

Pundit,

I would think Masters provide even more educational depth. Inaongeza nguvu kwenye kuchanganua mambo ya kitaalam. All the Real World Projects and Case studies are preferred to be instructed in Masters level. Pia inasaidia kuweza ku-think outside of the box (so they say!)

But we can't really ignore Kapinga's views

Masters ni mahali ambapo mtu anaanza kubobea(specialize) kwenye fani husika aipendayo,na ndiyo maana wenzetu wa kiswahili wameitafsiri kama uzamili,wakati phd wanaiita uzamifu.Hivyo kama katika digrii ya kwanza mtu alikuwa anasoma masomo 7 ina maana masters atasoma mawili au manne tu na kufanya tafiti nyingi katika muda wote wa mwaka mmoja au miwili,na akienda phd anaenda kubobea zaidi katika mada fulani tu,hapo sasa sio somo ni mada husika.Mathalani kama alisoma masters ya sheria za mikataba kwenye phd ataenda kubobea kwenye namna ya kuvunja mikataba na athari zake tu(breach and remedies of the contract) tofauti na masters ambapo,alikuwa analisoma kwa undani somo kama somo.
Watu wengi kwenye digrii ya kwanza tunavyosoma ni basic principles za hayo masomo,hadi kwenye intermediate level.Ukitaka kulijua zaidi hilo somo ndipo unaenda kwenye advanced stage yaani masters. Hiyo ndiyo hasa azma ya kuwa na kiwango cha masters katika elimu.Na kwanini masters basi.Master maana yake wewe unalimudu hilo eneo au somo husika,wakati Daktari,yaani phd maaane yake wewe ni bingwa katika hilo eneo na unaweza kabisa kutuanzishia kitu kipya au kutatua tatizo fulani linaloisumbua jamii ambalo hawa mamista wameshindwa au hawana upeo nalo sana.

Kapinga,

Naomba unieleze anamaanisha nini by..
"whats the point of masters degree? i believe its something invented by white people to make them feel better of themselves"

this to me sounds like a statement from a student whose dissirtation is gettin the best of them...LOL

the entire topic sounds kinda personal and has nothing to do with the relevance of the masters programme.

Many seek master's degrees to advance in their fields and to earn raises. Others seek master's degrees to change career fields. For example, let's say that you've earned a bachelor's degree in English, but have decided that you want to become a counselor: complete a master's degree in counseling. A master's degree will allow you to develop expertise in a new area and enter a new career.

Master's degree programs entail classes, similar to your undergraduate classes. However the classes are usually conducted as seminars, with a great deal of discussion. The professors tend to expect a higher level of analysis in master's classes than undergraduate classes.

Most master's degree programs require students to complete a master's thesis, or an extended research paper. Depending on the field, your master's thesis may entail conducting a thorough analysis of the literature or a scientific experiment. Some master's programs offer alternatives to the master's thesis, such as written comprehensive exams or other written projects that are less rigorous than theses. In service-oriented fields like clinical and counseling psychology, and social work, master's degrees usually include a practicum or internship in which you learn applied skills like how to perform therapy.

Pia you can deside to take post-graduate certificate in teaching au PG-Teaching hasa katika nchi zilizoendelea na kuondokana na dhana kwamba unaweza kupata masters degree yako na uishie kufanza kazi za maboksi au Royal Mail kwa wale wa ughaibuni.

Kwa hio nafikiri the crucial point ni pale utapoamua kwamba ni career gani ufate.

Look guys nimependa majibu yeu lakini my mistake was not being more precise.

In my mind what i mean was in the eyes of these WAZUNGUS though professional graduate schools like law and medicine are desirable, the true ivory tower of academia is most coveted as it imparts true, useless knowledge. The best subjects are English, History, Art History, Film, Gender Studies, <insert nation> Studies, Classics, Philosophy, Political Science, <insert European nation> Literature, and the ultimate: Comp Lit. MFA's are also acceptable.

Returning to school for these WAZUNGUS is an opportunity to join an elite group of people who have a passion for learning that is so great they are willing to forgo low five-figure publishing and media jobs to follow their dreams of academic glory.Having worked in the media hapa UK i know what i am talking about...especially meeting with those North London Intelligentsia and i am not talking about the usual BBC SWAHILI crowd, i am talking about folks like Andrew Mar au wale jamaa wanaotengeza vindi on behalf of the beeb kama RDF and KUDOS.

Anyway being in graduate school satisfies many WAZUNGU requirements for happiness. They can believe they are helping the world, complain that the government/university doesn't support them enough, claim they are poor, feel as though are getting smarter, act superior to other people, enjoy perpetual three day weekends, and sleep in every day of the week!

After acquiring a Masters Degree that will not increase their salary or hiring desirability, many of these wazungus will move on to a PhD program where they will go after their dream of becoming a professor. However, by their second year they usually wake up with a hangover and realize: "I'm going to spend six years in graduate school to make £45,000 and live in the middle of nowhere?"

After this crisis, mzungu will follow one of two paths. The first involves dropping out and moving to metropolitan city kama akiwa USA then i will be New York, San Francisco 9UK atakimbilia London and errm thats it or their original home town where they can resume the job that they left to attend graduate school...hapa sasa miji kama Exeter ambayo university yao inasika kwa kupokea OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE rejects au Portsmouth

At this point, hawa wazungu can feel superior to graduate school and say things like "A PhD is a testament to perseverance, not intelligence." They can also impress their friends a parties by referencing Jacques Lacan or Slavoj &#381;i&#382;ek in a conversation about pop Idol etc etc.

The second path involves becoming a professor, moving to a small town and telling everyone how they are awful and uncultured.

Sasa wana JF i would like to point out kuwa its is important to understand that a graduate degree does not make someone smart, so do not feel intimidated. They may have read more, but in no way does that make them smarter, more competent, or more likable than you. The best thing you can do is to act impressed when mzungu with MA talks about critical theorists. This helps them reaffirm that what they learned in graduate school was important and that they are smarter than you. This makes wazungu easier to deal with when you get promoted ahead of them.

In short wazungu wote bado wanayo ile SUPERIORITY complex hata kama angekuwa liberal vipi...that extends beyond wao wenyewe kwa wenyewe took me time to learn about this

Kwenye education arena Master degree ni muhimu sana. kwanza ni mhimili wa PhD. Ukiangalia kwa kina in master degree mtu anajifundisha zaidi mwenyewe zaidi ya graduate degree kwani huyu wa graduate huwa ni mtu wa kufundishwa wakati wa usomaji wake.
kwa hiyo hata kiutafiti utakuta huyu jamaa wa master yuko juu zaidi.
hata ukiangalia zile home work ambazo ni research based za case study,huyu jamaa wa master anaandika kitu ambacho ni comprehensive zaidi ambacho hata org. inaweza kuchukua kufanyia kazi.
lakini huyu undergraduate kwanza ndo bado anafundishwa jinsi ya kuandika vitu vinavyo husu case study e.g. corporate strategy.
kama nilivyosema hapo mwanzo MASTER ni njia ya kwenda kwenye PhD.

Ila n ikija kwenye upande wa pili ambao nadhani ndo sababu ya yuhu jamaa kupost hii thread, nadhani kuhusu utendaji kazi kwenye ajira.
hapa kwa kweli tofauti ni finyu na inaweza isionekane kabisa au wakati mwingine huyu mwenye degree moja akamzidi yuhu mwenye master yake. tena nimeona mara nyingi tu.
kuna tofauti gani kati ya equivalent na equal?
huyu mwenye master is not equal na yuhu mwenye degree moja
lakini katika kazi hizi za kuajiriwa mwenye master ni equivalent na huyu mwenye moja.

Kwenye education arena Master degree ni muhimu sana. kwanza ni mhimili wa PhD. Ukiangalia kwa kina in master degree mtu anajifundisha zaidi mwenyewe zaidi ya graduate degree kwani huyu wa graduate huwa ni mtu wa kufundishwa wakati wa usomaji wake.
kwa hiyo hata kiutafiti utakuta huyu jamaa wa master yuko juu zaidi.
hata ukiangalia zile home work ambazo ni research based za case study,huyu jamaa wa master anaandika kitu ambacho ni comprehensive zaidi ambacho hata org. inaweza kuchukua kufanyia kazi.
lakini huyu undergraduate kwanza ndo bado anafundishwa jinsi ya kuandika vitu vinavyo husu case study e.g. corporate strategy.
kama nilivyosema hapo mwanzo MASTER ni njia ya kwenda kwenye PhD.

Ila n ikija kwenye upande wa pili ambao nadhani ndo sababu ya yuhu jamaa kupost hii thread, nadhani kuhusu utendaji kazi kwenye ajira.
hapa kwa kweli tofauti ni finyu na inaweza isionekane kabisa au wakati mwingine huyu mwenye degree moja akamzidi yuhu mwenye master yake. tena nimeona mara nyingi tu.
kuna tofauti gani kati ya equivalent na equal?
huyu mwenye master is not equal na yuhu mwenye degree moja
lakini katika kazi hizi za kuajiriwa mwenye master ni equivalent na huyu mwenye moja.

mhhhhhh i take it you always reference Jacques Lacan or Slavoj in your conversations right? Ohh i thought i should mention that Studies in humanities (Law, GOVERNANCE AND INTL RELATIONS) are important for success in all fields because of the emphasis on critical thinking and creativity. The concept of “thinking outside the box” was coined by a person who has humanities degrees. ....Evodence tazama posts za watu wa Humanities humu JF. But the folks with MBAs are the ones who parrot the term (which is a good example of not thinking outside the box).

Look guys nimependa majibu yeu lakini my mistake was not being more precise.

In my mind what i mean was in the eyes of these WAZUNGUS though professional graduate schools like law and medicine are desirable, the true ivory tower of academia is most coveted as it imparts true, useless knowledge. The best subjects are English, History, Art History, Film, Gender Studies, <insert nation> Studies, Classics, Philosophy, Political Science, <insert European nation> Literature, and the ultimate: Comp Lit. MFA’s are also acceptable.

Returning to school for these WAZUNGUS is an opportunity to join an elite group of people who have a passion for learning that is so great they are willing to forgo low five-figure publishing and media jobs to follow their dreams of academic glory.Having worked in the media hapa UK i know what i am talking about...especially meeting with those North London Intelligentsia and i am not talking about the usual BBC SWAHILI crowd, i am talking about folks like Andrew Mar au wale jamaa wanaotengeza vindi on behalf of the beeb kama RDF and KUDOS.

Anyway being in graduate school satisfies many WAZUNGU requirements for happiness. They can believe they are helping the world, complain that the government/university doesn’t support them enough, claim they are poor, feel as though are getting smarter, act superior to other people, enjoy perpetual three day weekends, and sleep in every day of the week!

After acquiring a Masters Degree that will not increase their salary or hiring desirability, many of these wazungus will move on to a PhD program where they will go after their dream of becoming a professor. However, by their second year they usually wake up with a hangover and realize: “I’m going to spend six years in graduate school to make £45,000 and live in the middle of nowhere?”

After this crisis, mzungu will follow one of two paths. The first involves dropping out and moving to metropolitan city kama akiwa USA then i will be New York, San Francisco 9UK atakimbilia London and errm thats it or their original home town where they can resume the job that they left to attend graduate school...hapa sasa miji kama Exeter ambayo university yao inasika kwa kupokea OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE rejects au Portsmouth

At this point, hawa wazungu can feel superior to graduate school and say things like “A PhD is a testament to perseverance, not intelligence.” They can also impress their friends a parties by referencing Jacques Lacan or Slavoj Žižek in a conversation about pop Idol etc etc.

The second path involves becoming a professor, moving to a small town and telling everyone how they are awful and uncultured.

Sasa wana JF i would like to point out kuwa its is important to understand that a graduate degree does not make someone smart, so do not feel intimidated. They may have read more, but in no way does that make them smarter, more competent, or more likable than you. The best thing you can do is to act impressed when mzungu with MA talks about critical theorists. This helps them reaffirm that what they learned in graduate school was important and that they are smarter than you. This makes wazungu easier to deal with when you get promoted ahead of them.

In short wazungu wote bado wanayo ile SUPERIORITY complex hata kama angekuwa liberal vipi...that extends beyond wao wenyewe kwa wenyewe took me time to learn about this

Is this your Thesis?? Please change the topic name...seems this is more about Wazungu and their life choices than the relevance of the masters programme..Go visit http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/

Itakusaidia sana na project yako...

WAIT A MINUTE..THATS WER U GOT THE WHOLE TOPIC...BUSTED!!!! ha ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah aha...NICE TRY WITH THE WHOLE MEDIA IN THE UK BS....HA AHA HAH AH AH A

Kapinga, may be he's a member and an author of that blog... who knows. But increasingly my certainties now seem to foot aright amidst these pullulating Wazungus threads.

And it goes without saying, it could be - someone is bitter following a nasty-nasty incident at workplace, somebody is holding grudges following a sinister tryst, or worse; it could be that somebody is ridin’ high on Wazungu hatorade but circumventing this ailment over an 'empirical school of JF'. Clever move indeed, and one wonders what makes a prominent JF member shy away from the all 'we set the agenda' ethos or least name the source where such sentiments are emanating... only one knows-who knows!!!

SteveD.

Kapinga, may be he's a member and an author of that blog... who knows. But increasingly my certainties now seem to foot aright amidst these pullulating Wazungus threads.

And it goes without saying, it could be - someone is bitter following a nasty-nasty incident at workplace, somebody is holding grudges following a sinister tryst, or worse; it could be that somebody is ridin’ high on Wazungu hatorade but circumventing this ailment over an 'empirical school of JF'. Clever move indeed, and one wonders what makes a prominent JF member shy away from the all 'we set the agenda' ethos or least name the source where such sentiments are emanating... only one knows-who knows!!!

SteveD.

I'm patiently waiting for GT'S response on this...I THINK I KILLED HIS THREAD ....lol..Plagarism is evil!!

GT,

I see your point of view, but refrain from buying your argument wholesale.I think under constant condition a professional graduate degree is more desirable than a Masters degree, but this is more so in some fields than others.For example, a Masters in Engineering is actually quite valuable in that it builds actual knowledge and not ungwini and perseverence.Now some may argue that a masters in anthropology will only further some obscure and controversial theories about ancient civilizations, some may even say we as a race will not be using our resources rightly if we focus on ancient civilization excavations rather than figuring out how to engineer better cars in order to contain carbon emitions.

So you do have some fields that a Masters can be quite useful in building knowledge, in my view some fields, like for example American History and some buff's niche like that, are not even worthy of a bachelors degree.

My take is this, as long as you went along with wazungu by taking a bachelors degree, which is a requirement for masters, there is always room to justify some crazy masters degree in the guise of "adding to the body of human knowledge" but apart from the sciences and profesional graduate school, some masters are really what you claim, a symbol status and stale cultural ritual.

Katika nchi zilizoendelea Masters haikusaidii sana katika kipato chako. Mtu mwenye bachelor na uzoefu wa miaka miwili analipwa na sawa na mwenye Masters na asiye na uzoefu. Na mwenye bachelor na uzoefu wa miaka mitano anampita mwenye Phd. na asiye na uzoefu.

Masters inatumika kwa mambo mengi. Katika taaluma inamuundaa mtu kuchukua Phd. Na vile vile inamuunda mtafiti wa ngazi ya kati. Hivyo mwenye Masters anategemewa kuwa na uwezo wa kufanya kazi peke yake bila kusimamiwa.

Vilevile kuna umuhimu wa specialization. Miaka ya karibuni, taaluma moja ina mikondo mingi. Wakati bachelor inagusa vyote, Masters inatumika katika specialization. Kwa mfano Electrical engineering ina signal processing, telecommunication, artificial intelligency, power generation and distiribution, Electrical Machines and Controls. Hivyo kwenye Masters, mtu atachukua mkondo mmoja na kuwa-Maestro wa mkondo huo.

Miaka ya sasa watu wanasoma mambo mengine na wanakwenda kufanya kazi zenye taaluma zingine. Hivyo Master inatumika hili kuwawezesha watu kuchukua taaluma zingine.

Vilevile kuna watu wanaochukua Masters kuongeza competition edge katika taaluma zao.

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom