What is mechanical engineering?

conductor

JF-Expert Member
May 29, 2013
What is mechanical engineering?

Sean Carron, combustion, heat transfer, fluids, machines, control systems, oil/gas processing
Answered Aug 7, 2016
I have hired many engineers over the past 20 years and the two things that I tell a fresh graduate is that the greatest skill you have to offer me is your ability to read and comprehend technical topics very quickly. For many years I have questioned why we need to divide engineering education into different groups - civil, mechanical, electrical, mining, petroleum etc… In my province (BC) we are legally allowed to practice engineering in areas we have proven competence. Being a mechanical engineer does not mean that I am competent in HVAC design or aircraft design. It also does not mean that I am incompetent in Electrical systems design. Once you have an engineering degree, all you have proven is that you can learn technical subjects quickly. The real learning starts on your first day of work. Some of our best process (chemical) engineers are mechanical engineers because they have an excellent grasp of thermodynamics, fluids, heat transfer etc… Similarly, I have seen some very good structural engineers (typically civil) that had mechanical engineering degrees. Mechanical engineers make great controls engineers as they understand the mechanical and process aspects of the system and we also learn most aspects of electrical circuits. Many of our best “programmers” are mechanical engineers where you would have expected a computer or electrical engineer. I used to design building systems and was forced to learn about building codes, mechanical systems and electrical systems. I was equally comfortable specifying beams as I was specifying high voltage feeders or plumbing waste stacks. Having hired many different engineers over my career, I have learned that mechanical engineers are generally the most well rounded and can do just about anything with suitable training and mentorship. I personally think that we should only have one engineering degree and that it should be based on mechanical engineering. Once you graduate and follow a certain path, then you can take more specialized course for a particular field. I have also hired many technologists who generally get more specialized training in one field; however, I find their ability to expand beyond their base is limited. Sure they know the new lingo and hit the ground running but they stall pretty quick once the technology or conditions change. Young engineers are generally more broad but can quickly grasp the lingo and concepts.

Another very important aspect is that engineering is a self-regulated profession. As a profession, we are held to very high standards. After university, we only get two grades. The bridge either stands up or it falls down. The plane either flies or it crashes. If we screw up, people can die. We are not allowed to make mistakes. How is it possible that anyone can get 100% every time. It is very simple, we use proven codes, standards and methods. We use checkers and stringent approval processes. We are registered with the government and take an oath to protect the public and put them above all else. When we stamp a drawing, we are saying that people can bet their lives on our work. We are expected to know and follow the applicable codes and if we deviate from them, we better be able to defend it in court. When you read a code - for example NFPA 85 code for boilers, - it makes reference to every discipline of engineering from civil to mechanical to electrical and controls. We are expected to fully comprehend and translate the requirements into specifications that can be relied upon for the construction of a system that is safe, reliable and cost effective. So in essence, engineers are also technical lawyers. Our job is to understand technical requirements embodied in codes and standards and protect the public. We are held to very high ethical standards. This often brings conflict and forces us to ponder philosophy. Is it ethical for an engineer to develop weapons that could be used to kill children. Is it ethical for an engineer to design machines that contribute to global warming. We are faced with these questions every day.

In many ways mechanical engineers are the engine of society. We create and build the systems that everyone relies upon. If someone asks where power comes from and their initial thoughts are the electrical outlet, then we smile and think about all the massive infrastructure that was created by engineers to support power getting to the outlet.

Being a mechanical engineer can be very fulfilling. Indirectly you touch many lives and solve problems that benefit society. I am not suggesting mechanical engineering is altruistic but there is definitely an element of philosophy embodied in our profession.

I started university at 16 with extreme naivety and just took mechanical engineering because I liked cars. I now look back on my life and career and feel extremely fortunate and truly believe I could not have picked a better profession.

So the short answer to what is mechanical engineering is that it can be whatever you want. You are given a toolbox of knowledge that lets you do anything or go anywhere that your heart desires. How you use the tools is up to you.

46.8k Views · View Upvoters · View Sharers
Upvote · 180
Share · 15

Comment...
RecommendedAll
What do mathematicians and statisticians just "get" that other people don't?

Dima Korolev, Principal Maintainer at C5T/Current (2014-present)
Updated Jul 8 · Featured on Quora's Twitter · Upvoted by Peter Flom, Independent statistical consultant for researchers in behav… and Sriraman Madhavan, M.S. Statistics, Stanford University (2018)
Here’s my most serious and sincere answer. As of 2018, I hope it is politically correct enough to talk about this openly. Just in case the world does get worse, because that’s what it tends to do, y...
Read More
Which degree is harder: computer, electrical, or mechanical engineering?

Joe Francis, 24 years experience as a developer in Fortune 500s, eight years in university
Answered Jun 19, 2016 · Upvoted by Krish Mohan, M.S Engineering & Electrical and Computer Engineering, Thay… and Aalay Kapadia, MSEE Electrical Engineering & Circuit and System, Master of…
I actually have sufficient background in all three disciplines to give you a concrete answer to the question. I would rank electrical engineering as the most difficult, followed by computer engineer...
Read More
Newton, Gauß and Euler (in no particular order) are popularly acknowledged as the topmost 3 mathematicians that ever walked our planet. Who can the 4th person be?

Alon Amit, PhD in Mathematics; Mathcircler.
Updated Apr 28
It can be Archimedes, Euclid, Riemann, Aryabhata, Bernoulli (one of them), Abel, Cauchy, Jacobi, von Neumann, Cantor, Lagrange, Grothendieck, Hilbert, Ramanujan, Poincaré, Erdős or any one of vario...
Read More
Do mechanical engineers actually know how to build things?

Michael Pagan, Seniot Solutions Architect at Red Hat (2012-present)
Answered May 27 · Upvoted by Martin Pollard, MS Mechanical Engineering & Physics, University of Californ… and Manisha Tripathy, Ph.D Mechanical Engineering, George Mason University (2022)
I am someone who graduated with an Electrical Engineering degree who now works as a software engineer. But I have friends who are mechanical engineers (my brother included), and this answer applies...
Read More
If it takes Al 6 minutes to wash a car, and Fred 8 minutes to wash the same size car, how quickly will they be able to wash it together?

Richard Brum, just really good at finding patterns and solving math
Answered Sep 18, 2015
The people here giving "real life" answers are missing the point. This is a mathematical question (it's tagged with "Mathematics Homework Question"), so it's completely irrelevant what other detail...
Read More
Which is the most surprising maths result/proof/sum you have faced ever?

Alexandre Corradin, MSc Mathematics, École Centrale Paris (2016)
Answered May 10
The center of mass of a triangle is not the point of intersection of its medians ! I have to admit that it sounds like conspiracy theory … Everyone learnt the contrary at school. But this statement ...
Read More
Why is iPhone's camera better than any Android phone camera?

Dave Haynie, Been shooting since I was a kid.... before digital, before computers...
Updated Aug 22
It’s not. Not by far. Apple buys camera sensor from Sony, as do quite a few of the premium Android phone manufacturers. However, Apple has stuck to fairly small sensors, even for a smarphone. Most ...
Read More
Even after CFA Level 2, I am not able to find a job, what to do?

Deepthi Maddula, Mathematician at heart, accountant by side
Answered Aug 22
Hi, You have not mentioned which further qualifications do you have, what kind of work experience you have to offer, which city/country you are targeting at etc. I found myself in a similar situatio...
Read More
Why do Arab armies fail against Israel?

Ziaddinè Sélim Chahoud Chahouddi, studied at Islam
Answered Apr 1 · Upvoted by Naftali Greenwood, lives in Israel (1977-present)
Interesting question. As from my Arab side, the only thing I really start to ditch out, is, why Israel could stand so long against whole Arab world. I will try to be honest from my view points: 1. Ar...