What Has Gone Wrong in Catholic Seminaries?

R.B

JF-Expert Member
May 10, 2012
WHAT HAS GONE WRONG IN CATHOLIC SEMINARIES?

IN May 1984 I completed my secondary schooling at Usa River seminary in Arusha region. When the examination results were announced three months later, my school was rated among the best ten schools nationally, a situation that also reflected my Form Four examination results at Uru seminary in Moshi district, Kilimanjaro in 1981.

That year, the school came third nationwide. Since then I have been following with keen interest the results of these two schools, which have made me be what I am today.

I am indebted to teachers of the two schools, who tirelessly made sure that we performed well in our examinations.

Until recently, Catholic seminaries countrywide were leading whenever 'O' and 'A' Level examination results were announced. Unfortunately, leading streak is no longer there. For the past three years, these two seminaries have hardly ever appeared in the list of the ten best schools.

A vivid example is the 'A' Level results announced on Friday, that shows that not one single seminary is listed amongst the top ten. The top ten schools are, Marian, Mzumbe, Feza Boys, Ilboru, Kisimiri and Saint Marys' Mazinde Juu. Others are Tabora Girls, Igowole, Kibaha and Kifungilo.

Saint James Seminary in Kilimanjaro region is listed amongst the best schools in the group of schools having less than thirty students. In fact one of its students Gasper Setus is one of the best students who performed well in science subjects. He did very well in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics (PCM). Going quickly through the examination results in some seminaries, one discovers that Katoke Seminary in Kagera region had eight candidates in last year's Form Six exams, and all of them got division three.

Kasita Seminary had 21 candidates. Seven of them scored division two, and 14 attained division three. One of the best seminaries in the past, Itaga seminary in Tabora region had 33 students. Five of them got division two, 23 division three, 3 division four and two division zero. Uru and Mafinga seminaries led with a number of students who got division one. Both schools had four students each who got division one.

Other seminaries with students who got division one are Nyegezi (3), Saint James Seminary (3) and Consolatha seminary, one student. Other seminaries including Katoke, Kasita, Maua, Saint Peters, Rubya, Salesian, Usa River, Makoko, Dungunyi and Sanu did not have candidates who scored division one.
In fact seminary like Likonde had only two candidates who got division four. Looking randomly at these results, it is definitely sure that there is something not going well in these schools because the performance has gone down. One of the reasons that might have led to this poor performance could be recruitment.

There have been complaints that admission to seminaries does not follow strict procedures. In the past, a student who was accepted in any seminary was first supposed to be recommended by his parish, a process that also trickled down to the Small Christian Communities (SCCs) for recommendation.

Student's moral upright and intellectual capacities were considered the pre-requisite condition for any student to join a Catholic seminary. In the recent past the situation is said to have changed. Well-to-do parents now pick their mobile phones and call a rector of a seminary, asking him to accept their child.

As a result that particular child may end up joining the seminary without passing the normal procedural route of accepting students in seminaries, a situation that sees immoral and incapable candidates in the seminaries. Incompetence on the part of teachers may be one of the reasons that have contributed to poor examination results of Catholic seminaries. Some of them have failed to pay the good teachers, and as a result, bungling teachers are hired, thus causing bad results.

Teaching in seminaries calls for special commitment. This is evidently demonstrated by some teachers, and a vivid example is Saint James Seminary in Kilimanjaro region. Over 85 per cent of teachers there are priests who are not graduates but they are committed in their duty, that is why that seminary has maintained its pace for years.

A survey has also shown that libraries and laboratories in some seminaries are not up to date storing outdated data. Students in seminaries also should be allowed to access internet as in other schools. The Tanzania Episcopal Conference (TEC) should start looking critically at these results for improvement in the future.

Apart from priests, seminaries have produced competent professionals, including professors, doctors, accountants, teachers and even journalists. If the current situation continues, seminaries may end up having producing school drop outs with nowhere to go.

IN May 1984 I completed my secondary schooling at Usa River seminary in Arusha region. When the examination results were announced three months later, my school was rated among the best ten schools nationally, a situation that also reflected my Form Four examination results at Uru seminary in Moshi district, Kilimanjaro in 1981.

That year, the school came third nationwide. Since then I have been following with keen interest the results of these two schools, which have made me be what I am today.

I am indebted to teachers of the two schools, who tirelessly made sure that we performed well in our examinations.

Until recently, Catholic seminaries countrywide were leading whenever 'O' and 'A' Level examination results were announced. Unfortunately, leading streak is no longer there. For the past three years, these two seminaries have hardly ever appeared in the list of the ten best schools.

A vivid example is the 'A' Level results announced on Friday, that shows that not one single seminary is listed amongst the top ten. The top ten schools are, Marian, Mzumbe, Feza Boys, Ilboru, Kisimiri and Saint Marys' Mazinde Juu. Others are Tabora Girls, Igowole, Kibaha and Kifungilo.

Saint James Seminary in Kilimanjaro region is listed amongst the best schools in the group of schools having less than thirty students. In fact one of its students Gasper Setus is one of the best students who performed well in science subjects. He did very well in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics (PCM). Going quickly through the examination results in some seminaries, one discovers that Katoke Seminary in Kagera region had eight candidates in last year's Form Six exams, and all of them got division three.

Kasita Seminary had 21 candidates. Seven of them scored division two, and 14 attained division three. One of the best seminaries in the past, Itaga seminary in Tabora region had 33 students. Five of them got division two, 23 division three, 3 division four and two division zero. Uru and Mafinga seminaries led with a number of students who got division one. Both schools had four students each who got division one.

Other seminaries with students who got division one are Nyegezi (3), Saint James Seminary (3) and Consolatha seminary, one student. Other seminaries including Katoke, Kasita, Maua, Saint Peters, Rubya, Salesian, Usa River, Makoko, Dungunyi and Sanu did not have candidates who scored division one.
In fact seminary like Likonde had only two candidates who got division four. Looking randomly at these results, it is definitely sure that there is something not going well in these schools because the performance has gone down. One of the reasons that might have led to this poor performance could be recruitment.

There have been complaints that admission to seminaries does not follow strict procedures. In the past, a student who was accepted in any seminary was first supposed to be recommended by his parish, a process that also trickled down to the Small Christian Communities (SCCs) for recommendation.

Student's moral upright and intellectual capacities were considered the pre-requisite condition for any student to join a Catholic seminary. In the recent past the situation is said to have changed. Well-to-do parents now pick their mobile phones and call a rector of a seminary, asking him to accept their child.

As a result that particular child may end up joining the seminary without passing the normal procedural route of accepting students in seminaries, a situation that sees immoral and incapable candidates in the seminaries. Incompetence on the part of teachers may be one of the reasons that have contributed to poor examination results of Catholic seminaries. Some of them have failed to pay the good teachers, and as a result, bungling teachers are hired, thus causing bad results.

Teaching in seminaries calls for special commitment. This is evidently demonstrated by some teachers, and a vivid example is Saint James Seminary in Kilimanjaro region. Over 85 per cent of teachers there are priests who are not graduates but they are committed in their duty, that is why that seminary has maintained its pace for years.

A survey has also shown that libraries and laboratories in some seminaries are not up to date storing outdated data. Students in seminaries also should be allowed to access internet as in other schools. The Tanzania Episcopal Conference (TEC) should start looking critically at these results for improvement in the future.

Apart from priests, seminaries have produced competent professionals, including professors, doctors, accountants, teachers and even journalists. If the current situation continues, seminaries may end up having producing school drop outs with nowhere to go.

tunahitaji tafakari nzito kwa suala hili

Pia suala la kuwa na syllabus za kihuni, za zamani na sasa...na utungaji nao kuwa tofauti.Kuwepo ka hule nyingi zenye ubora kuliko seminary nyingi kunafanya wanafunzi kupenda uhuru zaidi, na hivyo seminary kukosa idadi kubwa ya kuchuja km zamani.

Vitabu vibaya na vyenye makosa vya akina Nyangwine, wanafunzi na wasaihishaji wanapata wrong concepts na mwshowe kukutana wakiwa tofauti sana ktk Necta.

Kuna kipindi shule niliwahi liona liona hilo....unaweza kuta walimu ambao wanakufundisha kujibu maswali kama atakavyo na si kama somo husika lielezavyo....kufaulu somo ni kujua apendacho mwalimu kuliko somo.Sasa kuwafahamu wasahihishaji usiwajua ni issue kubwa, na hata ukimfahamu marking scheme si yeye kaandaa.

Unayoyasema ni kweli kabisa.Ila nani amfunge paka kengele? Ukiuliza unaambiwa wewe ni kijana wa juzi...Hata mimi ni mdau wa Seminari na huwa nawauliza mapadre kwanini seminari yetu ya Jimbo la Arusha inafeli sana?Wanabaki kusema hawajui tatizo ni nini pia.Sasa kwa mwendo huu tutapotea kwenye ramani sasa.

seminari zimeshindwa kuchange kuendana na hali halisi mfano seminari kama rubya kuke kagera walimu ni mapadre sasa unakuta padre mwingine hayuko updated kabisa anatumia style ya kufundisha iliyokuwa inatumiaka miaka 20 iliyopita na mapadre wengine wanapewa masomo wasiyoyaweza kufundisha kabisa sasa unategemea nn hapo??na seminari nyingine zinawatreat mfano wanafunzi wa A level kama watoto wa kindergaten hapo huwezi tegemea kupata hizo one mkuu.....

Statistics used to justify your argument are not true! They are the best in term of pass marks! Review your statistics!

Ni kweli yote uliyoyazungumza, this is a wake up call for all Catholic Seminaries and all Catholic Owned Schools. Katika dunia nzima kanisa Katoliki linaheshimika kwa mfumo wake wa elimu, kuna mahali tumejisahau tunatakiwa tujirekebishe.... Wahusika wanaosimamia kitengo hiki wasikie na kutafakari ujumbe wa huyu mhusika!

TEC itupe majibu...Miaka 10 iliyopita nafasi 6 bora Kitaifa zilikuwa ni lazima zitoke Seminari lakini nashindwa kuelewa ni nn kimezikumba Seminari hizi...
Wapi Maua seminari..
Wapi Uru
Wapi St. James
Wapi Don Bosco
Wapi Arusha Catholic....you mention them....TEC kitengo cha Elimu watupe majibu na way forward....
Now days Catholic Religious schools ndo zimekuwa bora kuliko Seminari...

Ni kweli yote uliyoyazungumza, this is a wake up call for all Catholic Seminaries and all Catholic Owned Schools. Katika dunia nzima kanisa Katoliki linaheshimika kwa mfumo wake wa elimu, kuna mahali tumejisahau tunatakiwa tujirekebishe.... Wahusika wanaosimamia kitengo hiki wasikie na kutafakari ujumbe wa huyu mhusika!

Ni ujumbe mahususi sana kwa ustawi wa Seminari zetu..

Nashukuru umeliona ilo,cha kwanza kabisa inachobidi u-note ni kuwa Seminary nyingi bado zinafanya vizuri O-LEVEL,mfano Shule mpya ya Ushirombo seminary[queen of apostrophe seminary ilkuwa ya pili kitaifa kwa shule zenye wanafunzi chini ya 30]ziko nyingine zilizokuwemo kwenye 10 bora.Tatizo ni kuwa seminary nyingi kwa sasa zimekuwa na manyanyaso na ufukuzaji usio na mpangilio,wanafunzi asilimia 98 wanaomaliza O-level seminary ukimwambia kuendelea seminary A-LEVEL yuko radhi ata abaki nyumbani awe mkulima,wengi hawataki tena kusikia seminary wala kufikiria masuala ya wito.Motokeo ya hii hali ni kuwa Seminary nyingi ukosa wanafunzi wa kuendelea A level na wale wachache wanaobakia ni wale wenye ufaulu mdogo,seminary nyingi uanza kutafuta wanafunzi mitaani wa kujazia nafasi na matokeo yake ndio hayo.
Pia tofauti na zamani sasa hivi kuna upendeleo wa hali ya juu katika kupata wanafunzi wa kujiunga na A-level

wakatoliki walivyomakini watakuwa wa,eshaona udhaifu watatoa ufafanuzi tu ...

Real. something must be done to rescue the situation. Nikiwa kama mdau wa Makoko na Nyegezi, miaka ya 90 hali ilikuwa tofauti kabisa. Nakumbuka mwaka 1988 katika mtihani wa kidato cha pili, shule yetu (Makoko) ilikuwa ya tatu katika kanda ya Ziwa. Miaka ya hivi karibuni Makoko imekuwa haisikiki kivile. Nami napendekeza TEC ifanye utafiti ili kubaini chanzo cha tatizo ili tuokoe kizazi kinachopita seminarini.

Back
Top Bottom