What Can Our Tanzaninan Mechanical Engineers deliver to the Tanzanian Industries?

Though the thread don't belong here let me use this opportunity to tell wabuyaga that the myopic kind of leadership we have contributed to many Engineers to find themselves hanging around and sometimes becoming bank tellers!

I have followed the US presidential debate i became envy the way you see someone vying for oval office making the case how investment in technology has the potential to make the economy excel. What do you hear in our campaigns? petty issues like bajaj to pregnant women, No body knows even the president - Kikwete admitted that he doesn't know why Tanzania is poor. I should give him the answer, Tanzania and all other subsaharan African countries will remain poor as long as they don't invest in technology.

I become frustrated whenever i go to sabasaba trade fair you see the university of Dar es salaam displaying outdated concrete mixers and other petty staff like brick making machine, i think that is ridiculous and shame on these so called Professors and doctors. They don't think big.

Roher thank you for convincing comments! Let me go after your comments!

Do we ave problems that need mechanical engineers for solution? This question in my opiniom has no meaning because our UDSM is training more than x MEngs annaully. Why should we train engineers which cannot be used for the countrys industries! Are thre any examples where mechanical engineers have solved real problems? Let us ask our UDSM lecturers which many of them are PhD holders in Mechanical engineering!!!!!

We need few things (1) Link Eng and business training: They need training on how to run business (2) Government Taxes for machines need to be reduced. Its very hard to start a small business in Tanzania.

The problems is associated with many things: Internally and externally. Internaly I think the tanzania education quality is still very poor for basic education, I am aguing this in the sense that from farmily level they appreciate if you pass exams regardless you are very shallow in the subject area. Innovation is normally come from deep understanding of subject matter. It is very common that you find some is pround of Div. 1 point 3 or 7 or GPA 5 or 4 with surface understanding of the subject. This promote focussing on passing exams inteady of deep understanding which is the base of innovation and creation.

External factor could be adquate investiment on teaching facilities and competent teachers.

Wabuyaga
I do concur with you on ur topic, really there is nothing these Engineers (not only Mechanical Engineers) do to this greater country, what is lacking is from education System itself (too theoretical), then lecturers and students they are not ambitious to go extra miles beyond beyond classroom notes. Imagine College of Engineering &Technology (COET), UDSM still develop simple brick-making machine as if it is an extension of VETA campus, shame on you COET-UDSM. I happen to work with Telecommunication Company (foreign-owned) these investors they prefer to employ foreign-Engineer rather than Local Engineer because of local's laziness, lack of innovations, lack of INTEGRITY. there is one incident an Engineer given official car to visit sites upcountry that particular engineer sometimes he could steal fuel from the carand sell it to his friends. Ha ha ha
Contribution of Engineers to the scientific development of Tanzania has nothing to do with education system / or whatever
system there is. I have lived in Tanzania all my life and can comfortably say say that the biggest problem of engineers,(all types) is the tanzanian mentality of 'how much money shall I gain if I.......' ie quick money.A village is located near a river for example, and a mechanical devise is needed to draw water from the river for irrigation and other myriad uses, but a graduate engineer living in the village would never bother to sit down and draw some diagrams of a prototype device for drawing water out of the river. He would typically ask himself "Nihangaike kiasi hicho ili nipate nini?" This attitude might sound legitimate, but it is a killer to innovation and invention.The Wilbur brothers didn't think of money when they were risking their lives in the air at Kitty Hawk! In this country, graduate engineers (mechanical, elrctronic) keep their degree certificates safely in their suitcases, go to the nearest pool table game where they bend with a stick for a game while talking about a football match between Ajax and Palermo! We dont have Thomas Edisons or Marie Curies in this cursed country they call Tanzagiza.

THE QUESTION IS DO WE HAVE TANZANIAN MECHANICAL ENGINEERS WHO CAN DELIVER SOMETHING TO OUR TANZANIAN INDUSTRIES?
If they are please mention some of them and what they have/had delivered or achieved? Let us discuss about the practical issues not paper works. Too much paper works and reports will never help the country0s industries to manufacture their own products for domestic and export uses! We have the so called Msters and PhD holders, what are they doing? Designing only bridges? How many bridges have been so far constructed? JF members, are you aware of this?

Please let have your contirbution to this topic!!!
Mkuu mechanical engineers ni kama spanner inayoweza kufungua nati vizuri, lakini yenyewe haivumbui kitu nji hii.
Entreprenurial technical risk takers ndio wenye uwezo wa kuvumbua vitu, vifaa na systems.
Nenda pale Ubungo Mabibo uone jamaa ambaye hata shule ya technical hakuenda lakini anavumbua wind mills kama mtaalam aliyebobea.

Ma engineer wetu wa mechanical kazi kuagiza spares tu na si kuvumbua.

THE QUESTION IS DO WE HAVE TANZANIAN MECHANICAL ENGINEERS WHO CAN DELIVER SOMETHING TO OUR TANZANIAN INDUSTRIES?
If they are please mention some of them and what they have/had delivered or achieved? Let us discuss about the practical issues not paper works. Too much paper works and reports will never help the country0s industries to manufacture their own products for domestic and export uses! We have the so called Msters and PhD holders, what are they doing? Designing only bridges? How many bridges have been so far constructed? JF members, are you aware of this?

Please let have your contirbution to this topic!!!

The govt is not interested in developing its people rather they more interested in getting more taxes so they can kula kidogo and drive posh cars
i worked for a multinational i noticed the company wasn't interested in hiring Tanzanians or developing Tanzanians for the job in spite of me trying to show them the benefits.
The government itself has 75% of projects going to Chinese....how do you expect the local contractors to develop? why not split they projects in to small bits and hire more Tanzanian companies...build their capacity? and we will be paying interest on kikwetes loans after 10years so Chadema beware...CCM will be noticed for development of Roads and what not....but its was a badly implemented few dollars stayed here....we just remain being consumers
In African barrick you find the company hiring foreign contractors who hire people from other countries to do welding and pipe fitting,can we not do those simple jobs?...there is no trickle down effect. how do you expect people to develop their capacity. out of how many dollars invest how much remains in Tanzania?
The university of Dar itself requires you to sign an intellectual property agreement any thing you invent stays as their property,do you think this promotes people to be inventive?
in most universities around the world this is common however,they hire graduates as assistants as well if you are noticed you land a well paying job in a big company
If you look at all the Leading countries in the world today only indigenous technologies has contributed to their rise ie India China Brazil even the Asian tigers.not only that but they established universities with that idea in mind,the graduates were supposed to fill in the labour requirements in the industries for example before Malaysia's electronic boom the according to the its 10 yr plan the government first invested in College for electronics than went to start up electronic parks
Have you seen what the government has done so far COSTECH etc...they still making cow ploughs...we should be showing tractors and all the the nane nane and saba saba...wake up kikwete we are in the mechanization age...even those small hand tillers imported from China are outdated...they dont last as long,not spares for repair and if repaired its of poor quality...its a use and throw...disposable machines
The university professors and the goverment have to answer,they is not support to go it alone... only a few of the hundreds manage

May i add while Tanzania busy trying to burn off its gas for power instead driving for the replacing petrol and diesel with gas so it can save billions of its foreign reserves Kenya is invested in the biggest geothermal project in the African continent as the largest fresh water dam.it is also investing in wind power...i guess they government needs excuses for monthly payments.
the poorest form four results on record also so the government and its partnes what to keep tanzanians stupid and in the Dark so they can continue to suck the nations lifeblood

Though the thread don't belong here let me use this opportunity to tell wabuyaga that the myopic kind of leadership we have contributed to many Engineers to find themselves hanging around and sometimes becoming bank tellers!

I have followed the US presidential debate i became envy the way you see someone vying for oval office making the case how investment in technology has the potential to make the economy excel. What do you hear in our campaigns? petty issues like bajaj to pregnant women, No body knows even the president - Kikwete admitted that he doesn't know why Tanzania is poor. I should give him the answer, Tanzania and all other subsaharan African countries will remain poor as long as they don't invest in technology.

I become frustrated whenever i go to sabasaba trade fair you see the university of Dar es salaam displaying outdated concrete mixers and other petty staff like brick making machine, i think that is ridiculous and shame on these so called Professors and doctors. They don't think big.

Emalau I do agree with you comments. it is true this country will remain poor if they dont see the importance of technology. Let me tell you something: It is about 2-3 yrs ago when i went to our 77 exhibition. I went to visit our the UDSM place and I was really shocked! The one professor is PH holder in Mech Engineering and i tried to talk to him and sking him about differnt issue in regard to this discussion. What i noticed is that the persons like him in this country have despaired and i think they do not see the improtance of innovation etc. a ccm politician with nothing in his brain has many oportunities that an educated person such our mech eng professors! how comes?

Contribution of Engineers to the scientific development of Tanzania has nothing to do with education system / or whatever
system there is. I have lived in Tanzania all my life and can comfortably say say that the biggest problem of engineers,(all types) is the tanzanian mentality of 'how much money shall I gain if I.......' ie quick money.A village is located near a river for example, and a mechanical devise is needed to draw water from the river for irrigation and other myriad uses, but a graduate engineer living in the village would never bother to sit down and draw some diagrams of a prototype device for drawing water out of the river. He would typically ask himself "Nihangaike kiasi hicho ili nipate nini?" This attitude might sound legitimate, but it is a killer to innovation and invention.The Wilbur brothers didn't think of money when they were risking their lives in the air at Kitty Hawk! In this country, graduate engineers (mechanical, elrctronic) keep their degree certificates safely in their suitcases, go to the nearest pool table game where they bend with a stick for a game while talking about a football match between Ajax and Palermo! We dont have Thomas Edisons or Marie Curies in this cursed country they call Tanzagiza.

HYGEIA I think you know exactly what is happening in this country especially when we talk about these people (engineers). A fresh graduate engineer from UDSM he dreams of having a good car and house just within one year after getting his first post! where have you seen such kind nonsense! so if all think like this, then the only thing in their mind is to get much money as soon as possible regardless how--------

I have never seen competent eng in Tanzania. First of all they know nothing about inventing and innovation. They only know how to replace component, a work which can be done with a non eng. Have you ever heard anything invented from Tanzanian Eng!? Go read their research is just copy n paste. M happy to be a business analyst

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using JamiiForums

Back
Top Bottom