Waziri Masha, If you can't stand the heat please get out of the kitchen!

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
Columnist Alloyce Komba was poignant about Hon. Lawrence Masha in his article in Mwanahalisi of 22nd -28th July 2009. “Masha unfit to be a Minister of Home Affairs” read the title of Bwana Komba’s Kiswahili missive. This article has jogged my memory on Mr. Masha. I do not know Hon. Lawrence Masha from a close range. In fact the first time I heard of him was in 2005, during the national elections. He was somewhere in Mwanza campaigning for the parliamentary seat of Nyamagana constituency and during the peak of the campaigns, Hon. Masha rhetorically challenged the electorate to give him the votes because he was already a rich man! He sang his own praises to the effect that he had already made enough faranga (money) and that he was just seeking to be a parliamentarian just to serve his people and this nation as a whole because he was already a contented and accomplished man. You cannot serve two masters; Money and the People, he reasoned! I was impressed with this kind of bluntness and honesty. Very impressed to be precise!

In Lawrence Masha, I saw a new breed of a young Tanzanian politician capable of leading this county into a new direction for the better. Here was a young politician coming out without any blinking and ooh-haaing declaring to the public that he is not going into politics for money but only for service deliverance. That he is just answering the call from the Almighty God because he has been duly anointed to serve “Caesar” and his subjects so “help me God”. Good stuff. I had no qualms whatsoever to believe in what I was hearing and was full of great expectations from this son of the soil.

Indeed Bwana Masha made it to parliament and President Kikwete did not let him down. From relative obscurity, Lawrence Masha made it to Mr. Kikwete’s inaugural cabinet line up. He was given a docket at the Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources to deputize the scapegoated (Bangusilo) Hon. Ali Msabaha. Not a mean feat for a rookie politician. Again I was elated!

When the infamous Richmond power generation sourcing started going haywire, Hon. Masha and his superior were shuffled and he landed a job at the Ministry of Home Affairs as second in command after Hon.Joseph Mungai. Subsequent investigation into the Richmond blunders by the Mwakyembe Committee saw Mr. Masha come out unscathed while his former boss or rather bosses went shamelessly packing. To me, this was a vindication that this man was a very diligent and meticulous individual. In an ensuing reshuffle Bwana Masha not only ate it big time by being promoted to Cabinet level but was tasked with one of the most intractable and sensitive government departments, namely the Ministry of Home Affairs in charge of Immigration and Public Security. Voila! My wish had been fulfilled. Now it was the right time and place for this rising star to “do his things” (kufanya vitu vake) as the Kiswahili slang would put it. I saw this as a good opportunity for Minister Masha to consolidate and build his political carrier for the future.

However, going by what is happening I now realize that mine was just a wishful thinking after all. I want to be candid with Hon. Masha. His first test came when Mr. Mengi provoked him and the Minister fell for this ploy hook, line and sinker! Hon.Masha’s knee-jerk reaction was very disappointing to say the least. Mr. Mengi had accused Minister Masha of trying to use under some hand methods to bankrupt his (Mengi’s) IPP Empire. At the very most I expected Hon. Masha to blush off this accusation with the contempt it deserved but instead Bwana Masha came charging like a wounded bull and issued ultimatums to the IPP media mogul! Mr. Mengi outwitted Masha by calling the bluff and the minister could not rise to the occasion. He lost face!

As they say, misfortunes do not come in singles. Hon. Masha was caught with his pants down when he tried to interfere in the tendering process of the National Identity Cards (NICs) procurement. He is accused of using his office to try to return, through the back door, one of the contenders who had been sidelined by the Tender Committee (under his Ministry) responsible for the NICs. Public outcry ensued and Bwana Masha’s handling of the situation came very short of my expectations.

Firstly, his media strategy was at its worst through combative posturing while oscillating between one explanation in the morning only to contravene the same in the evening. When cornered about his itinerary during his official visit to Switzerland, Hon. Marsha was a bit cagey and by the time he came live on TBC1 (morning program) to put his side of the story into perspective, it was very late in the day to make an impact on the public. The negative impression this saga had created had become too entrenched in the public mind and could not be erased by a mere thirty minutes stint at the national television. For this gaffe alone, I gave him poor marks on the strategist’s scoreboard.

Secondly, persistent press reports that Hon. Masha is on a collision course with a fat cat at State House regarding the NICs project, somehow leaves an egg in the face of the eccentric politician. The minister has also dismally and abysmally failed to shake off the notion that he was not above board when he dealt with the NIC Tender Committee hence the recent cropping up of the issue during the ongoing parliament session in Dodoma.

As Alloyce Komba narrates, “a casual question regarding the NICs project from Ms. Anna Komu, a legislator from Chadema, was enough to leave Hon. Masha red faced!” Instead of being cool headed in answering the question the minister threw a tantrum in Parliament by going into irrelevancies which has nothing to do with the current NICs project and alluding to the notion that such queries tantamount to personal witch hunting! I was shocked and awed at this un-ministerial-like etiquette and I am afraid with such portrayal this Minister may have sung his political swan song. My unsolicited advice to Hon. Masha is that if he can’t stand the heat let him get out of the kitchen.

I don’t know what Waziri Masha was up to when he left his plumy legal practice to venture into the uncharted political world. To be a politician entails being a man (or woman) and half, to be able to withstand the rigors of the public office. Like Bwana Komba, I have a feeling that Mr. Masha does not measure up to the task given to him by the President at his current fort. Perhaps Bwana Masha should contemplate on cutting his losses and run before the eclipse catches up with his political career sine die. What a shame!

By Byase Luteke

byasel@hotmail.com

What I can say about the honourable Minister is that he is childish and hence too playful not to mention his social life in places like Jacky's in Masaki, George and Dragon Pub in Masaki, British Legion Club etc. Matendo yake hayafanani na uwaziri wake. Angekuwa waziri labda wa utamaduni na michezo basi.

Waziri masha really cant stand the heat, he is the type of the 'people-made politicians' In bongo we give people leadership as a sign of appreciation of what one had done to the 'big' deemed politicians, as the result waziri masha really has proved that, he doesnt have even the minimum knowledge of officiating that chair maybe he should start a the ward (kata) level!!

Otherwise, Tanzania's pace of progress is undermined!

Ninamkumbuka saana marehemu Baba wa Taifa, Mwl. Julius Nyerere, wakati anawaaga wajumbe wa Halmashauri Kuu ya CCM ktk ukumbi wa Diamond Jubilee, alisema kuwa; "Sikujua kama CCM ipo mbali kiasi hiki na wananchi, Chama kimoja kina tabia ya kulala usingizi, na mwisho alisema, Chama legelege huzaa Serikali legelege" mwisho wa kunukuu.

Tunachokiona ndani ya Serikali hivi sasa ni matokeo ya Chama tawala. Nawashauri wana CCM kufanya maamuzi ya kimapinduzi ya kurudisha hadhi ya Chama kwa wananchi, kinyume na hapo, kutakuwa na kazi kubwa sana ktk chaguzi zinazokuja.

could the problem be Masha?...................
NAH!BIG NAH.i can see the problem in the whole system!the whole system is corrupt,ndio maana kuna viongozi kama masha,mkuchika,kingunge,malima WANAONGEA TU CHOCHOTE KILICHOPO MDOMONI!b'se they know what is happening.

hata akitoka masha,akaingia yoyote HATA WEWE UNAESOMA HAPA provided the system is to remain intact hatutegemei chochote kipya!

Columnist Alloyce Komba was poignant about Hon. Lawrence Masha in his article in Mwanahalisi of 22nd -28th July 2009. “Masha unfit to be a Minister of Home Affairs” read the title of Bwana Komba’s Kiswahili missive. This article has jogged my memory on Mr. Masha. I do not know Hon. Lawrence Masha from a close range. In fact the first time I heard of him was in 2005, during the national elections. He was somewhere in Mwanza campaigning for the parliamentary seat of Nyamagana constituency and during the peak of the campaigns, Hon. Masha rhetorically challenged the electorate to give him the votes because he was already a rich man! He sang his own praises to the effect that he had already made enough faranga (money) and that he was just seeking to be a parliamentarian just to serve his people and this nation as a whole because he was already a contented and accomplished man. You cannot serve two masters; Money and the People, he reasoned! I was impressed with this kind of bluntness and honesty. Very impressed to be precise!

In Lawrence Masha, I saw a new breed of a young Tanzanian politician capable of leading this county into a new direction for the better. Here was a young politician coming out without any blinking and ooh-haaing declaring to the public that he is not going into politics for money but only for service deliverance. That he is just answering the call from the Almighty God because he has been duly anointed to serve “Caesar” and his subjects so “help me God”. Good stuff. I had no qualms whatsoever to believe in what I was hearing and was full of great expectations from this son of the soil.

Indeed Bwana Masha made it to parliament and President Kikwete did not let him down. From relative obscurity, Lawrence Masha made it to Mr. Kikwete’s inaugural cabinet line up. He was given a docket at the Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources to deputize the scapegoated (Bangusilo) Hon. Ali Msabaha. Not a mean feat for a rookie politician. Again I was elated!

When the infamous Richmond power generation sourcing started going haywire, Hon. Masha and his superior were shuffled and he landed a job at the Ministry of Home Affairs as second in command after Hon.Joseph Mungai. Subsequent investigation into the Richmond blunders by the Mwakyembe Committee saw Mr. Masha come out unscathed while his former boss or rather bosses went shamelessly packing. To me, this was a vindication that this man was a very diligent and meticulous individual. In an ensuing reshuffle Bwana Masha not only ate it big time by being promoted to Cabinet level but was tasked with one of the most intractable and sensitive government departments, namely the Ministry of Home Affairs in charge of Immigration and Public Security. Voila! My wish had been fulfilled. Now it was the right time and place for this rising star to “do his things” (kufanya vitu vake) as the Kiswahili slang would put it. I saw this as a good opportunity for Minister Masha to consolidate and build his political carrier for the future.

However, going by what is happening I now realize that mine was just a wishful thinking after all. I want to be candid with Hon. Masha. His first test came when Mr. Mengi provoked him and the Minister fell for this ploy hook, line and sinker! Hon.Masha’s knee-jerk reaction was very disappointing to say the least. Mr. Mengi had accused Minister Masha of trying to use under some hand methods to bankrupt his (Mengi’s) IPP Empire. At the very most I expected Hon. Masha to blush off this accusation with the contempt it deserved but instead Bwana Masha came charging like a wounded bull and issued ultimatums to the IPP media mogul! Mr. Mengi outwitted Masha by calling the bluff and the minister could not rise to the occasion. He lost face!

As they say, misfortunes do not come in singles. Hon. Masha was caught with his pants down when he tried to interfere in the tendering process of the National Identity Cards (NICs) procurement. He is accused of using his office to try to return, through the back door, one of the contenders who had been sidelined by the Tender Committee (under his Ministry) responsible for the NICs. Public outcry ensued and Bwana Masha’s handling of the situation came very short of my expectations.

Firstly, his media strategy was at its worst through combative posturing while oscillating between one explanation in the morning only to contravene the same in the evening. When cornered about his itinerary during his official visit to Switzerland, Hon. Marsha was a bit cagey and by the time he came live on TBC1 (morning program) to put his side of the story into perspective, it was very late in the day to make an impact on the public. The negative impression this saga had created had become too entrenched in the public mind and could not be erased by a mere thirty minutes stint at the national television. For this gaffe alone, I gave him poor marks on the strategist’s scoreboard.

Secondly, persistent press reports that Hon. Masha is on a collision course with a fat cat at State House regarding the NICs project, somehow leaves an egg in the face of the eccentric politician. The minister has also dismally and abysmally failed to shake off the notion that he was not above board when he dealt with the NIC Tender Committee hence the recent cropping up of the issue during the ongoing parliament session in Dodoma.

As Alloyce Komba narrates, “a casual question regarding the NICs project from Ms. Anna Komu, a legislator from Chadema, was enough to leave Hon. Masha red faced!” Instead of being cool headed in answering the question the minister threw a tantrum in Parliament by going into irrelevancies which has nothing to do with the current NICs project and alluding to the notion that such queries tantamount to personal witch hunting! I was shocked and awed at this un-ministerial-like etiquette and I am afraid with such portrayal this Minister may have sung his political swan song. My unsolicited advice to Hon. Masha is that if he can’t stand the heat let him get out of the kitchen.

I don’t know what Waziri Masha was up to when he left his plumy legal practice to venture into the uncharted political world. To be a politician entails being a man (or woman) and half, to be able to withstand the rigors of the public office. Like Bwana Komba, I have a feeling that Mr. Masha does not measure up to the task given to him by the President at his current fort. Perhaps Bwana Masha should contemplate on cutting his losses and run before the eclipse catches up with his political career sine die. What a shame!

By Byase Luteke

byasel@hotmail.com

- Mkulu heshima mbele sana, so far hapa naona kuna tatizo kama la Zitto yaani uongozi na ujana, siku zote kuna room ya marekebisho infact hata Obama naye majuzi kachemsha big time, again ujana na uongozi,

- Otherwise, hapa so far sijaona a serious charge ya Waziri kujiuzulu, kwa haya tu yaliyoandikwa hapo juu, unless kuna ambayo hujayasema, tunasumbuliwa na viongozi wezi wanaolihujumu taifa, sio wanaosumbuliwa na ujana tutenganishe haya maana hayaingiliani, la NIC lilikosa facts kwa sababu kamati ya bunge imeoza, ikaharakisha na habari nusu nusu ambazo hazikuwa na facts na zilikuwa illegal kisheria za jamhuri yetu, unless kuna mengine lakini kwa haya tu hapo juu samahani binafsi nasema not enough, lete dataz mkuu maana unaoneakan unazo.

Respect.

FMEs!

Interference to this issue alone could have led to demise of his political career, I don't understand why the guy is still in power regardless of all this crap he did in this case of national IDs.

My opinion which I am entitled to is that this article is utter crap!

Field Marshal above said it all "......tatizo kama la Zitto yaani uongozi na ujana, siku zote kuna room ya marekebisho......" If being young and inexperienced is a sin then he is guilty - other than that he should not resign!

Hardly was he ".....caught with his pants down....." in the ID issue. Why? Well the whole thing regarding the "interference" is a little fishy to me because at that time the company names of who had made it into the next round were not yet known. He as the minister had to ask to get info as to what is going on, presumably for him to report in the baraza la mawaziri and also to report to Parliament. Sasa iweje anyimwe habari hiyo halafu akina Mama Komu waje wamuulize bungeni maendeleo ya National IDs, ajibu nini sasa?

The author is dumb in saying he doesn't understand why the minister "left his plumy legal practice to venture into the uncharted political world" - what kinda crap is that? The author starts off his article by showering praises on Masha (see 2nd paragraph) seeing him as "....a new breed of a young Tanzanian politician capable of leading this county into a new direction for the better." Funny enough, the author gave the reason why Masha left his "plumy legal practice..." in the very next line "Here was a young politician coming out without any blinking and ooh-haaing declaring to the public that he is not going into politics for money but only for service deliverance." Sasa nini kujicontradict mwenyewe mwishoni?? Suggestion: Proof-read your article so as to avoid the clashing of your own thoughts. Bill Clinton left a plum legal practice to become governor of Arkansas and later a president; both Bushes left plum family businesses to become presidents, the younger Bush first as a governor of Texas and a businessman; Kikwete left a plum army post to become a party cadre; Julius Nyerere left a coveted plumy job as a teacher to fight for independence and a revolutionary leader and president of Tanzania - Masha kuacha plumy legal practice yake imekuwa nongwa?!! Isitoshe hajaacha, kachukua ka sabatical fulani hivi ili aje kusukuma gurudumu la maendeleo kupitia jimbo la Nyamagana na waziri wa mambo ya ndani.

Someone above alluded to the fact that he should not jichanganya at places like Jackies, Georges and Dragons or such places - my question is why not? As an adult he is entitled to go anywhere and do anything provided he doesn't break the law. All those places are Rhuksa! Furthermore, many of us Tanzanians lament the fact that our uper echelon leaders are not near to the people and hawajui mambo yanavyotendeka huku chini kwa walala hoi wengi - sasa yeye kuja kupata ulabu kunaingiliana vipi na kazi yake wakati kazini anaingi na kutoka kwa mujibu? Sawa, kuna sehemu zingine ni za members only e.g. British Legion, Karambezi etc but I see no wrong in him going to Rose Garden, Jackie's etc for a drink with his buddies.

Hakuna kuresign mtu hapa kwa sababu pumba namna hii!!! Big up to all them young guns such as Masha, Kabwe, Mhonga Ruanywa, Mdee etc up there trying to do something rather than bitching about everything while staying in the background!!!!

Waziri Masha hafai maana tangu amepewa Uwaziri wa Mambo ya Ndani kila siku anachemsha.

Mimi sitaki kuzungumzia hilo la vitambulisho vya Kitaifa(NICs). Nazungumzia swala la MAUAJI YA ALBINO ambalo mheshimiwa Masha ameshindwa kabisa kui-contain hiyo situation na hasa kwenye eneo lake la Ubunge huko Mwanza kila siku ma-Albino wanachinjwa kama kuku. Yeye kanyamaza tu!

Anataka Pinda wa watu akatoe mchozi kila kukicha kwenye maeneo ya mauaji ya albinos?

Mimi nashauri huyu jamaa arudi kwenye kazi yake ya Uanasheria na awaachie watu wenye vipaji vya kuongoza. Maana hata kwenye kikao cha Bunge hili linaloendelea nimemsikia anajibu utumbo kabisa.ati anasema kuna mambo pale Wizara ya Mambo ya Ndani kayayakuta hayajakamilika na yalianza kushughulikiwa hata kabla hajazaliwa. Hivi Waziri mzima unaweza kujibu utumbo kama huo mbele ya Bunge na huku WATANZANIA WOTE WANAOKUSIKILIZA?

Sasa kama anazungumzia mambo asiyoyajua kwasababu tu yalianza kufanyiwa kazi kabla hajazaliwa ni vizuri akapumzika. Kwa kweeri joto la jikoni limemshinda kabsaa ni afadhali atimue zake nje, hafai ni mzigo kwa Kikwete.

Wasaalam.

Being so rich as he claimed he need that political office to protect his interests and get even richer through dirty deals in the system.

Back
Top Bottom