Was Gaddafi right to call for Nigeria to split?

Mzee Mwanakijiji

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2006
BBC

Nigeria has recalled its ambassador to Libya after leader Muammar Gaddafi suggested Nigeria be divided into two states - one Christian and one Muslim.

The foreign ministry said the Libyan leader's statement was "irresponsible". Earlier in the week a senator had called Col Gaddafi a "mad man".

Col Gaddafi had suggested the split to prevent any more bloodshed between rival groups in central Nigeria.

Hundreds have died this year in ethnic and religious violence around Jos.

Although the violence in Nigeria generally takes place between Muslim and Christian communities, the underlying causes are a complex mix of political, social and economic grievances.

Nigeria is roughly split between its largely Muslim north, and a Christian-dominated south.

In a statement, the foreign ministry said it was recalling its Tripoli ambassador for "urgent negotiations" because of the "irresponsible utterances of Colonel Gaddafi".

"His theatrics and grandstanding at every auspicious occasion have become too numerous to recount," said the statement.

Col Gaddafi, until recently head of the African Union, praised the partition of India in 1947 as the kind of "historic, radical solution" that could benefit Nigeria.

Splitting India in 1947 caused a breakdown of law and order in which at least 200,000 people died. Some estimates say one million people were killed.

About 12 million people were left homeless and thousands were raped.

An attempt by the Igbo people of south-eastern Nigeria to secede in 1967 sparked a war which left more than one million people dead.

My Take:
It reminds me of the stand Nyerere took on Biafra.. was Nyerere also right?

MM,

This is what I call "giving a simple solution to complex problem". With this
kind of mentality then I can forsee a number of African Nations being balkanized
into religious entities with one claiming christianity and the other islamism. Kwa
mtazamo wa Gaddafi basi ina maanisha pia Sudan wataelekea mkondo huo huo
maana huko pia kuna udini kati ya kusini na kaskazini. Bongo napo basi itakuaje
nako?

This quote should let you know what will be the result of Gadaffi's suggestion:

An attempt by the Igbo people of south-eastern Nigeria to secede in 1967 sparked a war which left more than one million people dead.

Me thinks that Gaddafi analake jambo in this matter. We know for fact that he has
a soft spot for his Muslim brothers as compared to his African brothers if at all he
has any Africanness (is there such a word?) in him. I read mischief written all over
this statement.

Tell me, kwani these Nigerians cannot co-exist as Africans first before these
religious labels can tear them apart? Ukweli ni kwamba, japo wengi hawataki
kusema, both these religions are foreign and we existed as Africans before either
one of them landed on our Continent. I'm always amazed when indegineuos
Africans go after each others throats in the name of defending their religions...and
for what?

African problems need African solutions na sio hii biashara ya Muammar ya
kutafuta unnecessary attention. Both the President and the acting-President of Nigeria have
a herculean task of getting this nation together. The President is regarded as one
of the symbols of unity in a country and if they cannot step in that role, then they
are absconding their responsibility.

Regards.

i dont think so.
matatizo ya Nigeria yako mengi mno...
kuna ukabila,udini,n.k

MM,

This is what I call "giving a simple solution to complex problem". With this
kind of mentality then I can forsee a number of African Nations being balkanized
into religious entities with one claiming christianity and the other islamism. Kwa
mtazamo wa Gaddafi basi ina maanisha pia Sudan wataelekea mkondo huo huo
maana huko pia kuna udini kati ya kusini na kaskazini. Bongo napo basi itakuaje
nako?

This quote should let you know what will be the result of Gadaffi's suggestion:

Me thinks that Gaddafi analake jambo in this matter. We know for fact that he has
a soft spot for his Muslim brothers as compared to his African brothers if at all he
has any Africanness (is there such a word?) in him. I read mischief written all over
this statement.

Tell me, kwani these Nigerians cannot co-exist as Africans first before these
religious labels can tear them apart? Ukweli ni kwamba, japo wengi hawataki
kusema, both these religions are foreign and we existed as Africans before either
one of them landed on our Continent. I'm always amazed when indegineuos
Africans go after each others throats in the name of defending their religions...and
for what?

African problems need African solutions na sio hii biashara ya Muammar ya
kutafuta unnecessary attention. Both the President and the acting-President of Nigeria have
a herculean task of getting this nation together. The President is regarded as one
of the symbols of unity in a country and if they cannot step in that role, then they
are absconding their responsibility.

Regards.
Ab-Titchaz!
Thank you for your sober analysis. I tend to agree with you.The King of Libya (Gadafi) who has been in power for over 40 years, is tired and out of mind !The PARTITION as he calls it of Pakstan from India and formation of Bangladesh has not helped much. Up to now there are constant skirmishes between Pakstan and India over Kashmir even in Zanzibar where its 97% Muslim we have not been able to keep trouble at bay.The way out is just to remove religion from politics of coure the two have a tendency of marriage at times even if for convinience. Tribal and religious conflicts can not have quick fixes or simplisitic solution as the illitrate Cadaffi thinks. It has never worked anywhere and neither will it work in Nigeria. The Hell in Afghanistan was not fuelled because of the religious differences. We have a lot of historical turmoil in Iraq which had always been muslim but when the sects differ that is where trouble comes. The shia vs the sunnis etc.If Kadaffi failed to unite Africa and become the first presida the next move as expected from him is to break it further. Look at his stance with the Swiss over mosques and you can tell the story. The way forward is only to tolerate and make compromises over political/relegious or ethnic groups even when they are minorities!!!

Hilo ndio tatizo hata hapa Tanzania...tunaona bora udini kuliko utaifa ....unacompromise amani na jirani yako lakini unataka solidarity na mtu usiyemjua aliye 3000km away just because mnadhani mna imani moja....

That is what we expected of Gaddafi for he has always been like that. He is another terrible Terrorist Ndiyo anataka Africa tuungane but under one religion. Kwa sasa he is of no use!

Muamar al Qud'haffi ni kiongozi wa kiimla ambaye hakwenda shuleni. Hivo mkianza kumu-overanalyse itakuwa ni kupoteza muda wenu tu.

The dude is totally a dumb-bell

i dont think so.
matatizo ya Nigeria yako mengi mno...
kuna ukabila,udini,n.k

na ufisadi, na matatizo mengi sana ya udini hasa vurugu zinazoanzishwa na waislamu katika nchi za afrika, nyuma yake utakuta kuna mafisadi kama gadafi.

Both Christianity and Islam are aliens religions that were brought to Africa. Africans have been around before all those religions and we were living our lives. There were also clashes even before these religions but those were between clans or tribes. However, the clans or tribal leaders were able to put the fire off everytime these things happen.

To divide the countries on the basis of their religions or ethnicity is wiping out Africa and welcome never seen bloodshed.

Gaddafi had no right either to give any solution to Nigeria problems as he was not welcomed to do so neither is not holding any portfolio for Africa that would allow him to comment anything for other sovereign states while unenvited. Nigeria is right to call their ambassador home as Gaddafi is not any good partner.

The 200 houses he promised in Kilosa has also to be checked in an open and vigilant eye so that they cannot become a source of misunderstanding in the so calm district now where Muslims and Christians live together.

The houses should not be built by Libyan companies neither have any Libyans supervision in it. They should give money, they check the progress and also can be given the reports. They shouldn't also decide who to live on those houses. they shouldn't build any mosque otherwise they should also build a church.

Gaddafi has never been a good partner to anyone for no good reason for himself and advocation of hate between the societies on the religions backgrounds!!!!

He can also say divide the country btn Shia and Sunny, Catholics & Other Christians, etc. His solution is not a solution at all!!!

...Na mbaya zaidi ni kwamba Nigeria imemrejesha nyumbani balozi wake wa Libya. Hii ni kwa mujibu wa habari nilizozisikia BBC asubuhi ya leo. Sasa sijajua iwapo Nigeria wanataka kuvunja uhusiano wa kibalozi na Libya ama la!

Muamar al Qud'haffi ni kiongozi wa kiimla ambaye hakwenda shuleni. Hivo mkianza kumu-overanalyse itakuwa ni kupoteza muda wenu tu.

Hahaha...mtani naona Avatar yako mpya imetia timu.Ina-mesej yoyote???...:D

Back to the business at hand, I agree with you kwamba huyu bwana na
utawala wake wa kiimla hana jipya.

...Na mbaya zaidi ni kwamba Nigeria imemrejesha nyumbani balozi wake wa Libya. Hii ni kwa mujibu wa habari nilizozisikia BBC asubuhi ya leo. Sasa sijajua iwapo Nigeria wanataka kuvunja uhusiano wa kibalozi na Libya ama la!

Maybe thats where this issue is headed to.

Amefulia!

Precisely.

Sasa hapa ndipo huyu jamaaaa amedhihirisha hilo kwa Africa na Ulimengu kuwa upeo wake wa kuongoza umefikia kikomo. "Nigeria ati iwe religion State (Country)".

Its time for him to go now, Maana naona hawa viongozi wa Africa kadri muda unavyokwenda ndivyo hata upeo wao wakuona mbali unapotea, ni sawa na Mugabe tu anatutia kichefuchefu.

Ivi ni viongozi wangapi mpaka sasa wa Africa bado wako kwenye madaraka tokea enzi za freedom fighter.

1. R. Mugabe - Zimbabwe
2. H. Mubaraka -Egypt

He must be hanged, na ametawaliwa na hypocrisy, anajifanaya anawapenda Waafrica kumbe ni mnafiki tu, dudes laki him now a times are hanged

Back
Top Bottom