Vogts could 'throw in towel'

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
Vogts could 'throw in towel'
BBC News Online

Berti Vogts says Nigeria could be 'world beaters' if better organised
Nigeria's German coach Berti Vogts has admitted that his Super Eagles' future is in doubt just two weeks before the start of the African Nations Cup.
Vogts said delays in salary payments were making him consider quitting 12 months into his four-year contract.

"I love Africa, but I don't know how long I can put up with these problems," Vogts said.

Vogts also revealed he had been close to "throwing in the towel" on several occasions during his time in charge.

The 61-year-old, who formerly coached Germany (1990-98) and Scotland (2002-04), nevertheless praised his team stating it was "a pleasure to work with players of quality".

If football in Nigeria was organised as in Germany the team would be unbeatable

Berti Vogts

"Something special has been built between them and (and the players), it's what motivates me to continue my work despite the difficulties.

"If football in Nigeria was organised as in Germany the team would be unbeatable.

"Even Brazil would have to watch out for Nigeria," Vogts told German newspaper Augsburger Allgemeinen Zeitung.

The Super Eagles won the African Nations Cup in 1980 and 1994, and have been drawn in Group B with Ivory Coast, Mali and Benin for the tournament which gets underway on January 20 in Ghana.

Back
Top Bottom