VodaCom's 10 years of operation and success in Tanzania

Maxence Melo

JF Founder
Feb 10, 2006
vodacom1.jpg

vodacom2.jpg

Managing Director of Vodacom Tanzania Dietlof Mare, addressing Editors and invited guests at a Press Meeting to celebrate 10years of operation and success in Tanzania.

vodacom3.jpg

vodacom_tanzania.jpg

From Left: Dylan Lennox – Managing Executive of New Technology, Peter Correia-Managing Executive of Operations, Ephraim Mafuru-Managing Executive of Marketing, Managing Director – Dietlof Mare, Exaudi Kiwali – Managing Executive of Sales, Prepaid & Distribution, Maharage Chande - Managing Executive of Data & Value Added Services and Stephen Kingu – Managing Executive of Lake Region answering questions from invited guests at the celebrations of 10yrs of Vodacom in Tanzania held at the Kilimanjaro Kempinski Hotel in Dar es Salaam on Sunday 3rd October 2010.
vodacom4.jpg

vodacom2010.jpg

Vodacom Celebrates A Decade of Success

Dar es Salaam, October 4, 2010

Vodacom Tanzania has handled over 20 million transactions worth 600bn/- since Vodafone M-Pesa services were launched in 2008, the company's Managing Director, Dietlof Mare said on Sunday.

He said that at the moment there are over 5.5 million subscribers who have registered for Vodafone M-Pesa services. He was addressing editors and senior reporters during the 10th anniversary of Vodacom Tanzania.

"Vodafone M-Pesa is a monetary service that has revolutionized the way Tanzanians do business. We have over 5000 agents countrywide", he said.

As the services expand, over 80,000 transactions are done daily and monthly transfers are now approaching 100bn/-.

Over the past ten years, Mare further said, Vodacom has improved its services to become a company that provides quality services at the lowest cost, thus offering the best value in the market.

"We have the lowest tariffs with 1 shilling per second to Vodacom and 3 shillings per second to other networks and a myriad of other services that add value to our customers. The proof is that while prices have dropped dramatically, customers are making three times more calls in our network", he said.

With over 8.5 million customers, Vodacom has also heavily invested in world class network technology, spending 1 trillion shillings on GSM/GPRS/EDGE, 3G/HSPA and WiMax network coverage.

The world class network coverage enables customers to experience more speed with 2G and 3G catering for individuals and with WiMax Vodacom has been able to cater for the needs of businesses and corporate entities.

He added that it could not have been possible without a reliable transmission network with huge capacity and thus Vodacom has 6,500 kilometers of microwave and fiber network in Dar es Salaam and Dar es Salaam to Dodoma where Vodacom main switches are, making it the only operator with such transmission network.

According to Mare, Vodacom has also been giving back to the community through the activities of Vodacom Foundation, which has spent over 3 billion shilling in supporting communities in areas of health, education, social welfare, environment and Vodafone Red Alert.

As for the immediate, he said that Vodacom targets to have 10 million customers and improved services to individual and corporate subscribers.

"We intend to cover the country efficiently and change lives through innovations so everyone in the country can have a phone and afford to communicate at the time remain a Tanzanian company", he said.

He also mentioned some of the challenges over the last ten years as transportation and electricity, operational costs, transmission as well as capital expenditure.

Vodacom commenced operations on August 15, 2000 when one Alphonse Biria walked through Vodashop doors and thus making history by becoming the first Vodacom customer in Tanzania.

Hii ni bahati kuwa na hawa wakuu, hizi khabari, mlala hoi kama mimi ningezijulia wapi. Na hii mambo ya teknolojia yana mkasa, utakuta kuna watu wengi ambao wapenda kuinvest hawana hizi habari. Wanaonufaika ni wenye elimu na matajiri werevu. Na sisi naona tuanza kufundishana. Na hio kazi mkuu max atatusaidia, mimi nitafundisha. itakua ni elimu ya kujiendeleza kifedha. tutaivungua mpaka hata wachuuzi wa sokoni waweze kuelewa. Financial Literacy, kwa watu wote, tutatumia technologia kufikia malengo yetu.

My first reaction when i read the posts was, now it's time buy Vodafone stocks, because it seems this is the only company have figured out something most people who do business in east africa do not. And that thing is the market. With Fiberoptics, Voda is about to increase its revenues in EA substantially. I think vodafone has the resources for a reasonable company to grow in the market. The question is that will Voda management team moves fast like a business or will move slow a govenment? wait and see. I wonder if they (voda) finance start ups that serve their marketing or business strategy? I think VODA is in competative market VISA, MASTER CARD and the CHINESE CARD (sorry, i forgot the card's name). On other hand, the telephone side of business is secured and east africa is a hotspot when it comes to growth in mobil services. I would recomend for those who thinks of longterm investment to buy their stocks. Like warren Baffet, you buy, hold, and pray the price goes up.

My second reaction after I read the article was a short one. It hit like a ton of a bricks, who is going to invest while most tanzanians with money do not know about it? even if they know about it, where will they get reliable information to make a wise dicision, before they (wajasirimali and business persons) actually dig under their matress to invest.

So, I volunteer to answer all financial questions related to the understanding of the above article and way forward.

My short analysis is based on PESA and mobil service forecasted growth and management of the company. Do not forget to check their financial statements to make sure they actually made money for the share holders. Also, check out their disclosure notes to financials statements

Back
Top Bottom