US plan aims to prevent violence in Kenya, Syria, Honduras and Burma

bagamoyo

JF-Expert Member
Jan 14, 2010
December 01, 2012 By Kevin Kelley, in New York

US plan aims to prevent Kenya poll violence

US-Embassy.gif

Kenya is among four countries in which the US State Department is focusing its efforts to prevent organised violence, the official in charge of the initiatives said Friday.

Kenya was chosen for a US-funded programme to help ensure a peaceful election in March because it is "an anchor in the neighbourhood," said Assistant Secretary of State Rick Barton. He also noted that it is the site of the largest US diplomatic mission in Africa.

Syria, Honduras and Burma are the other countries where the department's Bureau of Conflict and Stabilisation Operations is concentrating its work.

The State Department is currently allocating "a couple of million dollars" for the programme, which will employ at least 50 Kenyans for the next six months, Mr Barton noted.

Kenyans hired for violence-prevention work are key figures in groups, such as horticultural societies, not normally involved in political activities, the assistant secretary said. The US programme aims to give these individuals the capacity to help "reduce the space that negative political players have to work in," Mr Barton added.

Local religious leaders with moderate views are also being mobilised to help avert a repeat of the cataclysm that followed the 2007 election.

Mr Barton echoed acting US Ambassador Robert Godec's comment in Washington on Wednesday that a peaceful election in March is not assured.

Read more :
US plan aims to prevent Kenya poll violence - Politics - nation.co.ke

Mr Barton echoed acting US Ambassador Robert Godec's comment in Washington on Wednesday that a peaceful election in March is not assured.

Read more : US plan aims to prevent Kenya poll violence - Politics - nation.co.ke

An ailing and stalled economy and rapidly expanding poverty, and yet one man Obama is ready to give a couple of millions of dollars, to employ people to prevent violence in kenya Burma and syria. What type of sh*t is this, why doesn't he put that money on foodstumps programs for the poor or even add it on welfare account to cater for the unemployed us Pple.

An ailing and stalled economy and rapidly expanding poverty, and yet one man Obama is ready to give a couple of millions of dollars, to employ people to prevent violence in kenya Burma and syria. What type of sh*t is this, why doesn't he put that money on foodstumps programs for the poor or even add it on welfare account to cater for the unemployed us Pple.

What are foodstumps?:becky:

two_large_tree_stumps.jpg

Your understanding of the role of the US on the national stage is simplistic! In your view they should cut the millions in aid dished out to the Tanzanians? As an American taxpayer am in! Where do we sign up?

Do not deride people on food stamps, I would rather live in a country with a sizable safety net than one that relies on donors to fund over 40% of its budget and 60% live under $1.25 a day!

We dont need the sh*t dollars.

You don't, you live in America. Quite a lot of people in Africa however.....

Sometimes you strike me as a person who really doesn't get what life is like for the average African.

You don't, you live in America. Quite a lot of people in Africa however.....

Sometimes you strike me as a person who really doesn't get what life is like for the average African.

Live in America? I wouldnt even welcome the chance to live there, i will only visit the lesser mortals amongst us who couldn't make it at home. Why does employment of 50 people excite you or are you not aware that U.S of A doesnt dish out money without a hidden agenda?

Live in America? I wouldnt even welcome the chance to live there, i will only visit the lesser mortals amongst us who couldn't make it at home. Why does employment of 50 people excite you or are you not aware that U.S of A doesnt dish out money without a hidden agenda?

Translation; Dhuks was denied a Visa.

Banter aside, you can run your mouth all you want but the American government plays a key role in the world. I disagree with many of our policies but the alternative is unacceptable!

It is amazing what load of bull* US left-wing politics can create. Mr Scott Granton who was more investment minded is replaced by Barton to talk the Obama " foreign policy" pitch. Apparently Granton, was "incapable" as us ambassador because he could not talk.

That is why AGOA has been, a failure all the time. Luckily kenya, less dependence of foreign aid has been key to its improved economic growth.

Translation; Dhuks was denied a Visa.

Banter aside, you can run your mouth all you want but the American government plays a key role in the world. I disagree with many of our policies but the alternative is unacceptable!

Not everyone shares your dream of only making it from America.

Not everyone shares your dream of only making it from America.

As an American tax payer who funds dreams all over the world, I must say I am offended sir! :becky: Look, you can make it anywhere but you should not dismiss the role of the US in the world! As an American I am proud of what my government does to improve the lives of millions in the world!

What are foodstumps?:becky:

two_large_tree_stumps.jpg

Your understanding of the role of the US on the national stage is simplistic! In your view they should cut the millions in aid dished out to the Tanzanians? As an American taxpayer am in! Where do we sign up?

Do not deride people on food stamps, I would rather live in a country with a sizable safety net than one that relies on donors to fund over 40% of its budget and 60% live under $1.25 a day!

How will you ensure people in kenya live above two dollars a day overnight,. It took twenty four freaking years under moi to ensure that the once working systems set after independence hit a snug. Though I am not condemning moi. Are we to assume that all those changes are expected to change in a span of five years?. Where there are no short term economic reforms that would ensure swift transformation. Do you understand the economic differences between Kenya and the USA. It has taken two centuries for America to reach where it is, you expect kenya to achieve such status in 5 years? This is the problem we have with those at the diaspora.

How would Kenya improve economically if one is seeking to stymie local and international investment. It is a fact that most kikuyus have businesses and are hardworking. So one wants to do what nyerere did in Tz. Can't you see this is the reason Tz have remained the only politiks in the EAC region.

How will you ensure people in kenya live above two dollars a day overnight,. It took twenty four freaking years under moi to ensure that the once working systems set after independence hit a snug. Though I am not condemning moi. Are we to assume that all those changes are expected to change in a span of five years?. Where there are no short term economic reforms that would ensure swift transformation. Do you understand the economic differences between Kenya and the USA. It has taken two centuries for America to reach where it is, you expect kenya to achieve such status in 5 years? This is the problem we have with those at the diaspora.

How would Kenya improve economically if one is seeking to stymie local and international investment. It is a fact that most kikuyus have businesses and are hardworking. So one wants to do what nyerere did in Tz. Can't you see this is the reason Tz have remained the only politiks in the EAC region.

I have no idea what you are rambling on about! :becky: Not to dignify this filth with a proper response but we are talking about 3 countries. One is an industrialized nation, another is an LCD and the third is a not an LCD. Make your pick. I realize your looking to vent but what does all that you have said have to do with anything? :target:

I have no idea what you are rambling on about! :becky: Not to dignify this filth with a proper response but we are talking about 3 countries. One is an industrialized nation, another is an LCD and the third is a not an LCD. Make your pick. I realize your looking to vent but what does all that you have said have to do with anything? :target:

Well said, you do not dignify filth but I also do not dignify those who's thinking is clouded with ignorance. I do not waste time on challenging such precedence on forum either. It was worthwhile for you to first understand the context of the thread before you gave answer.

You potray a lot of ignorance in most of your posts when it comes to debating national matters. Judging from your location, your ignorance is understandable since you may not have faced the challenges firsthand. It is better to discuss with Kenyans locally who have met the challenges first hand.

It's ironical Obama through his bureaucrat envoys is the first US president to openly target to use kenya as a proxy to commit its hideous onslaughts as opposed to an ally.

The trouble is that we have American administrators that are thinking as though they are still living in the sixties where they could use Burma as a proxy to advance its war against Japan. They are mislead to think as though kenya has just received its independence.

Pole Sana.

As an American tax payer who funds dreams all over the world, I must say I am offended sir! :becky: Look, you can make it anywhere but you should not dismiss the role of the US in the world! As an American I am proud of what my government does to improve the lives of millions in the world!

I know you are butt hurt but not everyone is an escapist, some of us have dignity and cant sell our souls to the highest bidder whatever the prize.

This supposed concern by America on Kenyan matters is not sincere. US actions in many countries go contrary to what they preach to others. They are the biggest violators of international laws and often coerce the UN to act in their own best interests. To hell with the US, leave us alone.

1 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom