Unapaswa kuoa wake angalau saba, wazee wa Wajaluo wawaambia vijana

Mbaga Lazaro

Aug 9, 2020
Kijadi, wanaume wa Kijaluo walifurahia hadhi ya juu katika jamii kulingana na idadi ya wake waliokuwa nao.

Wazee walipokusanyika ili kufurahia pombe ya kienyeji, walikuwa wakiketi ndani ya nyumba, wakizunguka kinywaji hicho.

Mwanamume aliyekuwa na mke mmoja mara nyingi alitakiwa kukaa karibu na mlango kwani iliaminika angesababisha fujo zisizo za lazima endapo angepata habari kuwa mke wake pekee hayupo tena.

Kwa upande mwingine, mwanamume mwenye wake wengi alichukuliwa kuwa ‘salama’ kwa maana kwamba kumpoteza mmoja wa wake zake wengi kusingemsumbua sana.

Ndoa za wake wengi zilizingatiwa kuwa ishara ya utajiri na ujuzi mzuri wa uongozi. Kuongoza familia kama hiyo kulifanya wanaume waheshimiwe.

Sehemu ya wazee wa Wajaluo, hata hivyo, wana wasiwasi kwamba vijana wa Kijaluo wanaacha mitala.

Nyandiko Ongadi, mwenyekiti wa Baraza la Wazee wa Wajaluo, anasema kuwa kushindwa kuoa wake wengi ndio chanzo cha kuongezeka kwa idadi ya wanawake wasio na waume.

“Sifurahishwi na wanachofanya vijana wetu leo. .uchunguzi wangu ni kwamba wengi wao ni mke mmoja. Inasikitisha kwamba vijana wa Kijaluo wanaogopa kuoa wake wengi kama kifo,” Ongadi alisema.

Maoni ya Ongadi yaliungwa mkono na mjumbe wa baraza hilo Jarongo Okumu mwenye umri wa miaka 98, ambaye alisema uvivu ndio sababu ya vijana wa kiume kutooa wake wengi.
==================================
Traditionally, Luo men enjoyed an elevated status in society based on the number of wives they had.

When elders would come together to enjoy traditional liquor, they would sit inside a house, surrounding the drink.

A man who had one wife was often asked to sit close to the door since it was believed he would cause unnecessary disturbance in case he received news that his only wife was no more.
On the other hand, a polygamous man was considered to be ‘safe’ in the sense that losing one of his many wives would not bother him as much.

Polygamy was considered a sign of wealth and good leadership skills. Leading such a family successfully earned men respect.
A section of Luo elders is, however, concerned that young Luo men are abandoning polygamy.

Nyandiko Ongadi, chairman of the Luo Council of Elders, argues that failure to practice polygamy is to blame for the rising number of single women.
“I am not happy with what our young men are doing today. My observation is that majority of them are monogamous. It is unfortunate that young Luo men fear polygamy like death,” Ongadi said
He gave an example of the eight wives he married at different intervals.

“Today, my first wife who is almost my agemate is no longer active in many ways due to old age. There are some duties that I cannot assign her. But such duties are assigned to my last wife who is still youthful. Let men who are blessed with money marry at least seven wives,” Ongadi said.

Ongadi’s comments were supported by a 98-year-old member of the council Jarongo Okumu, who said laziness was the reason young men don’t marry many wives.

#The standard digital.

Luo council of elders chairmam Nyandiko ongadi
View attachment 2335895

Back
Top Bottom