Nov 22, 2007
Kampala

Ezra’s offer
Each player- $30,000
Coach - $60,000
Assistant coach - $25,000
Goalkeeping coach - $25,000
If Cranes beat Kenya- $50,000

Enigmatic tycoon Michael Ezra has dropped another bombshell by offering Uganda Cranes $650,000 (Shs1.5b) should the team break a 34-year jinx of not qualifying for the Africa Cup of Nations. That figure could rise to $700,000 (Shs1.6b) if Uganda win in Kenya at the weekend.

Speaking to Daily Monitor on phone from Nyayo stadium where Cranes will play Kenya’s Harambee Stars in a crucial Group J qualifier on Saturday, Ezra said he is incensed by the country’s perpetual failure to reach the finals. “I wanted to see where Cranes will be playing, so I came here to acquaint myself. Our failure to qualify since 1978 is the reason I’m making this unprecedented offer because countries inferior to ours have managed to make it.”

Ezra, who owes Shs1b in unpaid taxes and National Bank of Commerce sh400m as an outstanding loan, is adamant he will return to Ugandan ‘as soon as there is need.’ “My issues are in the hands of the lawyers. Those are legal matters that will be settled by them (lawyers). Life goes on.”

Biggest prize

Should Cranes reach the 2012 tournament to be hosted in Equatorial Guinea and Gabon, the team will considerably receive the biggest prize in the history of Ugandan sport.
Each of the 18 players stands to receive $30,000 (Shs68m). The Cranes coach would pocket $60,000 (Shs136m) with his assistant and goalkeeping coach receiving $25,000 (Shs57m) apiece.

Back
Top Bottom