twitter

donlucchese

JF-Expert Member
Mar 23, 2011
ndio wana Jf ni ijumaa nyingine tena we thank God for being alive. wakuu mimi leo naomba msaada kuhusu hii social network ya twitter. ni majuzi tu nilijiunga ila kwa kwel kwa kias fulani naona kama haipo userfriendly. kuna mambo kama yaku follow cjui followers etc. naomba msaada kuhus matumizi ya twitter ili na mimi niweze kuenjoy na pia feauters zinazoitofautisha yenyewe na facebook.

ndio wana Jf ni ijumaa nyingine tena we thank God for being alive. wakuu mimi leo naomba msaada kuhusu hii social network ya twitter. ni majuzi tu nilijiunga ila kwa kwel kwa kias fulani naona kama haipo userfriendly. kuna mambo kama yaku follow cjui followers etc. naomba msaada kuhus matumizi ya twitter ili na mimi niweze kuenjoy na pia feauters zinazoitofautisha yenyewe na facebook.
according to my brain, my thoughts, my crazy computer and I, i think it's almost the same thing, twitter is kind of complicated and most of the "stars" are using it, and facebook it's more for normal people like you and me, yeah... i will move on to twitter i'm a star!! but Here are 5 points where I found some major differences:

1.) Lifetime of a status update vs. a Tweet

A Tweet has by far a much shorter lifespan than a Facebook update. According to some interesting insights from Sysomos, about 92% of engagement with a Tweet happens within the first hour after being tweeted.
A Facebook update on the other hand is far longer to be present in peoples timelines. It can often stretch over several days until all interaction with the update dried up.

2.) Friends vs. Followers

Funnily enough, Twitter called followers friends too in the very early days. Yet, by nature the two things are fundamentally different. Friending someone on Facebook carries a far deeper connection then following on Twitter.
Of course, the action itself doesn't mean anything and you can build meaningful relationships on Twitter in the same way as on Facebook. It feels that in terms of personal spheres following someone on Twitter is more detached than a Facebook friend though.
[h=2]3.) Speed[/h]Another crucial factor is the speed of messages being passed on. Here Twitter obviously comes out as the far faster medium to transport messages. Examples of the Japanese earthquake, the death of Osama Bin Laden or other breaking news happenings portray this very nicely.
Facebook on the other hand appears to move a lot slower and I found it can rather be used for timeless news and updates.
[h=2]4.) Online Friends vs. Offline Friends[/h]On Facebook you interact with your family and real life friends. On Twitter you talk to online friends interested in similar things. This is how the argument went for some time. As both networks evolved this might not be entirely true. You have most likely experienced it yourself that there are many occasions where things happen the other way round.
The argument that Facebook focuses on the Social Graph and Twitter on the Interest Graph is still valid I believe. Even though the two are merging to some extent, Grandma is on Facebook, whilst she might not be on Twitter.
[h=2]5.) Optimal posting times[/h]A recent study by @DanZarrella found that best times to tweet during the day are around 5 p.m. On the other hand, Facebook status updates seem to be most effective at around noon.
In terms of weekdays Wednesday appeared to be the best for Twitter, whilst the best day to share on Facebook appears to be Saturday.

IN ADDITION TO THAT
Each can have great or little value to anyone; it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish in a given situation. Consider some of the pros and cons of each network:
[h=3]Twitter Pros[/h]
  • Easy to navigate and update, link to and promote anything
  • Reach far beyond your inner circle of friends
  • One feed pools all users; anyone can follow anyone else unless blocked
  • Pure communication tool, rapid responsiveness
  • You don't have to be logged in to get updates; you can just use an RSS reader
  • Very interactive, extensible messaging platform with open APIs
  • Many other applications being developed (Twitterific, Summize, Twhirl, etc.)
  • Potential SMS text messaging revenue from wireless networks (although Twitter states they are not currently getting any cut)
  • Potential future advertising and/or enterprise subscription-based revenue streams
  • With its "thin" overhead, Twitter is probably more scalable than Facebook, giving it a cost advantage
[h=3]Twitter Cons[/h]
  • Limited functionality; find people, send brief messages, direct replies
  • Limited to 140 characters per update
  • Not all people find it immediately useful
  • Over-emphasis on follower counts
  • Easily abused for spam and increasing the noise level
  • Relatively smaller installed user base
  • As yet no readily apparent monetization strategy
[h=3]Facebook Pros[/h]
  • Application mashup; find people, make connections, email, instant messaging, image/video sharing, etc.
  • Most people can quickly grasp the value of connecting with friends, family and established contacts; some people report they use Facebook instead of email and IM
  • More emphasis on deep connections with others vs. who has the most connections
  • "True Friends" feature increases your transparency to selected connections; almost like having private and public profiles
  • Huge, rapidly growing installed user base
  • Inherit stickiness, third party applications, "gift giving" and personal data collection make Facebook a powerful advertising platform
[h=3]Facebook Cons[/h]
  • More difficult to navigate and update
  • Requires investment of time to realize sustained benefit
  • Opt in model requires a user to allow others to connect
  • Less immediate responses; unless you stay logged on continually
  • Overhead of mashup and "thick" applications could limit scalability, bloat cost structure
[h=3]The Future of Social Networking[/h]In the end, both Twitter and Facebook are simply communication tools; both will continue to evolve and morph as users find new ways to extract value and either network may or may become a long term winner in the rapidly evolving social networking space. Ultimately, the fact remains to be seen whether either application has a profitable, scalable and sustainable business model or whether the exit strategy is simply to be acquired.
As we learned in the search space, consolidation will eventually prevail. Unless they can find a way to turn all those eyeballs into profits, social networks will lose relevance. It does seem obvious that the venture capitalists are betting they will not only continue to enjoy tremendous growth but will also successfully monetize all that traffic.
But, will either Twitter or Facebook become the next Google or will they fade into the rear view mirror of technological and social evolution? What do you think?

sources: 5 Important Differences Between Twitter And Facebook « Twitter Tips And Updates From Buffer : Facebook vs Twitter
: What are the differences between twitter and Facebook? - Yahoo! Answers

Back
Top Bottom