Tottenham clinches the carling cup

Ole

JF-Expert Member
Dec 16, 2006
Chelsea wamefungwa na Tottenham Hotspur 2 - 1 (carling cup Final) baada ya extra time. Bad news for Abramovich at Wembley today.

WOOD_YOU_BELIEVE_IT_441689a.jpg

JONATHAN WOODGATE'S extra-time header stunned Chelsea as Tottenham won their first trophy in nine years.
Didier Drogba had given the Blues a first-half lead but Dimitar Berbatov's spot kick brought Spurs level. Didier Zokora looked to have blown it for Juande Ramos' side but Tottenham held on for the rest of the 90 minutes. Woodgate's brave effort four minutes into extra time was enough for Spurs to seal victory.

Chelsea were forced to weather the storm during the early stages as Tottenham unleashed an onslaught on Petr Cech's goal.
With just 20 seconds gone, Robbie Keane raced on to Juliano Belletti's slip up but his shot was deflected wide by John Terry. Pascal Chimbonda rose highest from Aaron Lennon's cross to nod a looping header against the bar on nine minutes. Woodgate went close from Jermaine Jenas' set piece before Cech denied Steed Malbranque's low piledriver with a fine diving save. Frank Lampard fired a trademark long-range effort wide before Didier Zokora's clumsy foul set up Drogba for the opener.

The Chelsea striker stepped up confidently from 25 yards and smashed home a sublime effort that left keeper Paul Robinson wrong-footed. After the break, Spurs again started well and had the majority of the possession. But it was Nicolas Anelka who had the best chance of the period when he headed straight at Robinson from Shaun Wright-Phillips. Tottenham boss Juande Ramos made a crucial change in the 62nd minute when he brought on midfielder Tom Huddlestone on for left-back Chimbonda.

Huddlestone made an immediate impact when he pressurised Wayne Bridge into making a reckless hand-ball, which was spotted by the linesman. Berbatov coolly slotted past Cech to level the scores. Zokora could have sealed a dramatic comeback with 10 minutes left when his raced on to Keane's lofted through ball.

But the Ivorian's initial shot was blocked by Cech before he smashed the rebound over the bar. Both sides had late chances to win it but neither could convert inside the 90 minutes. Woogate, playing his fourth game for the North London club, gave Spurs the vital lead five minutes into extra time.

The England defender bravely headed in Jenas's set piece despite pressure Cech. Chelsea could have hit back almost straight away as Lampard's free kick tested Robinson. Blues boss Avram Grant gambled by throwing on Joe Cole in place of Mikel Jon Obi.
But despite immense pressure, the Blues simply could not get the ball in the back of the net. Drogba had a penalty claim turned down before Robinson twice saved Tottenham, from subs Salomon Kalou and Cole.

DREAM_COME_TRUE_441712a.jpg

Keane: It's a dream come true

Robbie_Keane_441704a.jpg

Keane delight

ROBBIE KEANE admitted it was a "dream come true" to win the Carling Cup.
Didier Drogba put Chelsea ahead with a free-kick in the 39th minute before Dimitar Berbatov equalised and Jonathan Woodgate headed the winner in the fourth minute of extra time. Spurs striker Keane said: "Hopefully this is start of something special, hopefully we can kick on now. It's special for the fans.

"This was a massive test for us and it's unbelievable and a dream come true to come out as winners. "I dreamt of this moment as kid and I'm speechless." Woodgate said: "I don't really go up for corners but I took a chance and was able to get my head on it and luckily it went it.

"I think we were the best team and hopefully we can push on from this next year. "Chelsea are a top side and they showed that today but we did it." Tottenham boss Juande Ramos added: "I am happy because the fans are very happy." Defender Ledley King hailed the "spirit" of his side after they battled back from a goal down to claim the trophy. He said: "Its amazing. It's been a long time to get here - too long. "The only other time we got to a final we lost and we didn't want that to happen today. "You saw the commitment levels from the players today and we showed we're a good team when we got going today.

"It is tough being 1-0 down. Their goal came from a free-kick but I thought they didn't really create much more than that. "The spirit was fantastic and at 1-0 down a lot of teams would have folded but we were fantastic to come back and win. "We have some good players here and hopefully we can use this win and move forward." Jermaine Jenas added: "This is the biggest moment of my career and we've worked so hard for this moment.

"As soon as we got in the changing rooms at half-time we knew we could get back in the game. "Then we got that first goal and didn't look back."

scoreboard_666x450_441684a.jpg

Tottenham_celebrate_441722a.jpg

drogba_woodgate_350_441650a.jpg

grant_350x475_441651a.jpg

Poleni wakuu wa Chelsea.

Back
Top Bottom