Tifu ndani ya Ofisi ya Raila:Please Style Up!!

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
Wakuu,

Huu ni ufisadi in the making ama nini?..Naona
wakoradhi wakamatane makonzi il'mradi mtu anyakue
nafasi ya ulaji.Wakenya bana.....samtaimu hata sijui nisemeje.
Sasa huyu Raila akichukua uongozi itakuakuaje?

Premier’s office in crisis as turf wars end in a brawl

Raila+pic.jpg

PM Raila Odinga. It is feared that wrangling among top decision makers in Mr Odinga’s office could affect an ambitious project financed by the United Nations Development Programme​

By KENNETH OGOSIA and OLIVER MATHENGE

A power struggle which threatens the effectiveness of Prime Minister’s office exploded into a near punch-up among his key aides on Thursday.

The embarrassing fiasco came barely 24 hours after the premier’s Director of Protocol and Liaison, Tony Gachoka, resigned in a protracted turf battle with his Permanent Secretary Mohamed Isahakia.

The bust-up between the two senior officers in Mr Raila Odinga’s office at Treasury Building threw the normally busy premises into disarray.

It happened while the PM was attending a Cabinet meeting chaired by President Kibaki at State House. It provided further evidence of difficult relations within the premier’s team between career civil servants and officers brought into the government last year, underlining challenges of making the Grand Coalition work.

Ambitious project

The two senior most officials in the PM’s office – Permanent Secretary Mohammed Isahakia and Principal Administrative Secretary, Caroli Omondi – when contacted by the Saturday Nation denied that there was any incident in their department on Thursday. Mr Omondi described the reports as “propaganda”.

It is feared that wrangling among top decision makers in Mr Odinga’s office could affect an ambitious project financed by the United Nations Development Programme and other donors to empower the office of Prime Minister to effectively fulfil its mandate as supervisor and coordinator of government operations.

Key personnel recruited under the project include two former PSs James Ongwae and Nehemiah Ng’eno, and from Japan Mr Hiroyuki Hino, a former top IMF official based in Washington as Director of the Africa Division.

Mr Ongwae is working on strategic plans of the PM’s office to be launched on April 9. Mr N’geno is an advisor on governance while Mr Hino, who often led IMF mission to Kenya in the 1990s, is an advisor on economics.

Governance structure

The Prime Ministers’ office has been involved in its own turf war with the Head of Civil Service and Secretary to the Cabinet at the Office of the President Francis Muthaura over its exact functions in the governance structure that came into place with establishment of the Grand Coalition Government nearly a year ago.

The laws and constitutional amendments passed under the national accord and reconciliation process conferred the Prime Minister equal power and status with the President Kibaki.

The PM was specifically made in charge of coordination and supervision of government, but Mr Odinga’s ODM party has long accused Mr Muthaura of continuing to hold on to powers that should have been assumed by the Prime Minister.

The Office of the Prime Minister has also lacked the staff and other resources necessary for it to properly fulfil its supervisory and coordination mandate. Hence the help from donors in setting up institutions and structures, a process driven by Mr Omondi.

On Friday staff who did not want to be named fearing repercussions described how they witnessed a confrontation that was played out in full view of visitors.

Some of the visitors who were waiting to see the PM on his 14th floor office once he returned from the Cabinet meeting described how they were attracted by a shouting match from adjacent officers occupied by the senior officers.

Said one of the visitors: “We were alarmed by the noise coming from the direction of the PM’s office which is normally quiet and as we rushed out we were met by the sight of two senior officers throwing punches at each other before they were separated.”

The confrontation started in one of the offices and spread onto the corridors before the two top officers were pulled apart by other staffers.

Another witness said: “I remember [one officer going into the office of the other] and moments later shouts erupted from inside and the door was flung open. As we rushed to find out what was happening the officer was shouting ‘Why did you slap me?’”

There was also a description given by another person on how those in the waiting room rushed out on hearing a commotion and saw the two officers already out in the corridor pushing each other and hurling insults.

A member of staff said they saw the two come out onto the corridor pushing and shoving after an apparent disagreement inside the office.

“It was not surprising to us; we saw it coming because of the long-standing tension,” the staffer said.

But, when contacted, the PM’s spokesperson Dennis Onyango was categorical that the incident did not take place.

“That is totally unfounded. Nothing of the sort happened and we are not aware of it,” he said. Dr Isahakia and Mr Omondi also denied that there was any such incident.

However rivalries, infighting and lack of clear chain of command in Mr Odinga’s office has often been apparent to visitors.

Visitors describe how quite often there have been clashing appointments forcing the PM to shuttle from one meeting room to another as he could be hosting up to three delegations at the same time.

Angry exchanges

The incident on Thursday happened just a day after Mr Gachoka resigned.

Mr Gachoka, who handed in his resignation after being interdicted by the PS a few days earlier, is allied with Omondi who has been engaged in a long-running battle for supremacy with Dr Isahakia.

As a Permanent Secretary, Dr Isahakia, a career civil servant who returned to government after a period of absence with Mr Odinga’s appointment as Prime Minister, is the chief executive and accounting officer of the PM’s office.

But Omondi represents the new breed of civil servants with backgrounds in private sector, international organisations or civil society trying to find their ways in the entrenched bureaucracies.

As Principal Administrative Secretary, Mr Omondi might view his rank as equal to that of a Permanent Secretary, and has often teamed up with Mr Gachoka, who came into the Prime Ministers’ office straight from political activism.

Their style of doing things has often caused clashes with Dr Isahakia who is more inclined to discipline, procedure and the pecking order.

Mr Gachoka threw in the towel this week after a series of angry exchanges with Dr Isakahia that led to his suspension.

But the latest incident shows that the exit of one key staffer is not the end of problems in the Prime Minister’s office.

Infighting in the office came to the fore at the end of last month when Mr Gachoka circulated an e-mail to all senior staff questioning Dr Isahakia’s management of the office.

DAILY NATION - Premier’s office in crisis as turf wars end in a brawl

Ab titchaz, what the hell is your problem?? Why doxt you leave our country alone. Yaani you just such the net for negative news on kenya and post them here. All threads you post here are about bad stuff on my conutry. Kwani your country is perfect. Leave kenya alone, kwani what did kenya ever did to you, your so angry at kenya. Grow up man. Now go ahead and ban me or delete this post. You disgust me!!

Ab titchaz, what the hell is your problem?? Why doxt you leave our country alone. Yaani you just such the net for negative news on kenya and post them here. All threads you post here are about bad stuff on my conutry. Kwani your country is perfect. Leave kenya alone, kwani what did kenya ever did to you, your so angry at kenya. Grow up man. Now go ahead and ban me or delete this post. You disgust me!!

Mnairobi,

First and foremost I will not ban or delete your post.No reason to.

Secondly, naona nimekugusa pabaya na kama nimekukwaza basi
ndivyo hali ilivyo.Kwani Kenya mkionyeshwa dosari lenu mbona
mnaona kana kwamba mnaonewa?
Ukienda ukumbi wa siasa utaona
kwamba we do the same in our country.Kumbuka here at JF is
'where we dare talk openly'.Therefore I will criticise Kibaki or Raila
if they do anything contrary to expectations of the common man.
Kwani shida iko wapi?

Thirdly, maybe you didn't get the memo but I have family in Kenya
and therefore I try to stay abreast with whats going on over there.
Nobody owns Kenya na hizo kauli za 'my country' you might wanna
rephrase it maana its 'our' country.

Je kuna tatizo hapo?

There is more to come.

Regards.

P.S. Watakuja ndugu zako hapa kukutetea.Wee subiri tu.

Last edited:
By KENNETH OGOSIA
and OLIVER MATHENGE

A power struggle which threatens the effectiveness of Prime Minister's office exploded into a near punch-up...

The bust-up between the two...

On Friday staff who did not want to be named described how they witnessed...

Some of the visitors ...described how they were attracted by a shouting match from adjacent officers...

Said one of the visitors: ...were met by the sight of two senior officers throwing punches at each other before they were separated."

Another witness said: "I remember [one officer going into the office of the other] and moments later shouts erupted from inside and the door was flung open. As we rushed to find out what was happening the officer was shouting ‘Why did you slap me?'"

There was also a description given by another person on how those in the waiting room rushed out on hearing a commotion and saw the two officers already out in the corridor pushing each other and hurling insults.

A member of staff
said they saw the two come out onto the corridor pushing and shoving after an apparent disagreement inside the office.

But, when contacted, the PM's spokesperson Dennis Onyango was categorical that the incident did not take place.

"That is totally unfounded. Nothing of the sort happened and we are not aware of it," he said. Dr Isahakia and Mr Omondi also denied that there was any such incident.

Gossipy DAILY NATION!

The editor of this paper disbelieved the story so much he used the words "near bust-up" in the first paragraphs of the piece. Hahahahahahhahahah

Crummy east African press!

If you are vouching this story, Mr. Editor, then don't bury the "visitor" narrations toward the end of the article. State upfront that a physical altercation did happen, not "nearly," not "dust-up," not "loud shouts," not "punch-up," no no no, state that someone did get hit. Authoritatively!

But if you don't know, if you can't vouch the story, then state early on "it has been alleged that ...[fill in all kinda narrations and gossip you want here]," and immediately after that you state that other versions have refuted that incident ever happening. Readers will know that you don't know and are not trying to hide that you don't know. You don't start a story with "near punch-up" then embed some gossipy narration that fights did happen.

Putrid press! Ooh, putrid press of east Africa, who shalt save thou!

What do you mean ati wenzangu watakuja kunitetea? Why are you making this an issue of kenya against tz. Why are you drawing them into something they didnt raise. If i remember well you were a moderater, such comments coming from you is a big shame. Shame on you. Yes kenya is my country, the same way your country is tz. Your either kenyan or tanzanian period. So no thank you, i wont drop that phrase. I dont have issue with anyond posting negative stuff about my country, but i got issues when you in particular only posting negative issues in kenya and making a celebrations out of them. Kwani theres nothing positive that you ever come across. LEAVE MY COUNTRY ALONE AND STICK TO YOURS! YOU GOT ENOUGH PROBLEMS AS WELL!

What do you mean ati wenzangu watakuja kunitetea? Why are you making this an issue of kenya against tz. Why are you drawing them into something they didnt raise. If i remember well you were a moderater, such comments coming from you is a big shame. Shame on you. Yes kenya is my country, the same way your country is tz. Your either kenyan or tanzanian period. So no thank you, i wont drop that phrase. I dont have issue with anyond posting negative stuff about my country, but i got issues when you in particular only posting negative issues in kenya and making a celebrations out of them. Kwani theres nothing positive that you ever come across. LEAVE MY COUNTRY ALONE AND STICK TO YOURS! YOU GOT ENOUGH PROBLEMS AS WELL!

Wewe naona unakimbia kivuli chako mshkaji.

Kenya ni noma hata ukatae,kuna matatizo kibao hata sijui nisemeje.
When I say say wenzako I mean atakuja Smatta na Mkenya kutetea
the republic or is it Jamhuri.

You better accept the fact that Kenya is not what it used to
be and the romanticism era is over.Now its reality na Kenya is disintegrating
everyday as we speak.

Regards.

Why are you digressing? Im very well much aware of the problems kenya. They are huge, very huge, i know that and so do the forumes here, thanks to your hard work. What im against is ynu potraying kenya as country in constant crisis and full of nothing but problems, that is simply not the case. And we dont need any 'romanticizing' we are stil working for a better country and winers (sp) like you are not welcome here. I suggest you get your family out of kenya, a country a hopeless and disintegrating country and tale them to the heaven across the border.

sometimes when i look at the picture of Odinga, naogopa, anatisha kishenzi. hope what is outside on his face is not what is inside his hear. hata kibaki alikuwa na moyo kupambana na huyu jamaa.

Why are you digressing? Im very well much aware of the problems kenya. They are huge, very huge, i know that and so do the forumes here, thanks to your hard work. What im against is ynu potraying kenya as country in constant crisis and full of nothing but problems, that is simply not the case. And we dont need any 'romanticizing' we are stil working for a better country and winers (sp) like you are not welcome here. I suggest you get your family out of kenya, a country a hopeless and disintegrating country and tale them to the heaven across the border.

Wake and smell the coffee coz Kenya is country in crisis.Believe that!

Secondly you have not right whatsoever to tell me to move my family
out of Kenya.They are there to stay and play their part in changing the
direction that country is being taken by a President who has no clue
what is happening around him.

If your family acts and thinks like you then im sorry they will only do mor harm than good to my country.

Mnairobi, sareana na huyu jamaa, ni hater wa kawaida.. you cant argue with such dudes, wanted to watch this 'argument' from the sidelines lakini nimeshindwa.. The crisis- as you call it, will not weaken us but strengthen our country and citizenry.. watch this space dude, we will reform every negative element in our society through this period, from our electoral, judicial, presidential, agricultural, and all systems which are not working to favour mwananchi.. this is what is called a constitutional/change moment.. and we will make it.. JUST WATCH THIS SPACE

Mnairobi, sareana na huyu jamaa, ni hater wa kawaida.. you cant argue with such dudes, wanted to watch this 'argument' from the sidelines lakini nimeshindwa.. The crisis- as you call it, will not weaken us but strengthen our country and citizenry.. watch this space dude, we will reform every negative element in our society through this period, from our electoral, judicial, presidential, agricultural, and all systems which are not working to favour mwananchi.. this is what is called a constitutional/change moment.. and we will make it.. JUST WATCH THIS SPACE

smatta,

Poa yaani! Tukijadiliana hivi rafiki basi inapendeza! Tunajua Kenya watamaliza haya matatizo na kwenda mbele zaidi! Na pia ktk EA tunashirikiana kwa ukaribu zaidi!

Sisi tu majirani.. na jirani yako kuchagui huwa unapewa tu na Mungu!

Nataka kuja huko ndugu kuwasalimia Nairobi mwezi wa kumi au wa kumi na moja! Nitawatumieni PM kabla sijaja!

Ningependa sana niwatufute jirani zangu tusalimiane na tupate Tusker Baridi pamoja!

Karibuni sana Dar, Ar jirani zetu!

The how part is what I'm interested in.
Are there mechanisms in place to achieve the dream
of reforming the negative nature of the Kenyan political
landscape?Thats all I was asking.

Meanwhile the phrase "please style up" in the title of the
thread is aimed at the PM's office.It is the hope and belief
of many that this man will be the next President of Kenya
and there is need for his office personnel to act likewise.

Wenzetu msiogope kuonyeshwa dosari.

like I said, watch the space.. I am sure people in the whole world will learn much from Kenya on how to turn misfortune to fortune.. am sure you(Teezee) will have the first lessons.

huyu mnairobi vip?

hii ni for international stuff. ahaa... ulikuwa unataka aposti mazur mazur au aisifie sifieeee.........

siku moja nilienda nairobi. nikiwa nakatiza mitaa nikaenda kwenye restaurant moja na kuomba kuelekezwa sehemu. yule mwenye restaurant unajua alini jibuje? alitangulia kusema "nakuelekeza kwa sababu nategemea siku moja utakuja hapa kwa restaurant yangu na kununua chochote..." halafu ndo akanielekeza. du. nilishangaa sana. hiyo ilitokea baada ya mimi kuwauliza watu wawili kabla ambao walionyesha kunishangaa bila kunijibu

ndio kusema mwenye restaurant asingenielekeza kama kwamfano asingetegemea siku moja mi kuwa mteja wake

wakenya noma

huyu mnairobi vip?

hii ni for international stuff. ahaa... ulikuwa unataka aposti mazur mazur au aisifie sifieeee.........

siku moja nilienda nairobi. nikiwa nakatiza mitaa nikaenda kwenye restaurant moja na kuomba kuelekezwa sehemu. yule mwenye restaurant unajua alini jibuje? alitangulia kusema "nakuelekeza kwa sababu nategemea siku moja utakuja hapa kwa restaurant yangu na kununua chochote..." halafu ndo akanielekeza. du. nilishangaa sana. hiyo ilitokea baada ya mimi kuwauliza watu wawili kabla ambao walionyesha kunishangaa bila kunijibu

ndio kusema mwenye restaurant asingenielekeza kama kwamfano asingetegemea siku moja mi kuwa mteja wake

wakenya noma

mwakatojofu,

Kenya ya leo imeharibika na sio siri.Si kama vile zamani wangetamba na
tungesikiza. Baada ya zile kura za '07 kuibiwa na Kibaki nilijua kweli
jamaa watahitaji ujasiri mwingi kutoboa hii miaka mitano maana the so
called President will not really be interested in Kenyans but his own family
and click.

Watu wanakufa kwa njaa na Rais kauchuna tu huku mawaziri wake
wakifanya dili za kifisadi za kuuza mahindi ya reserve, wananchi wanauwa
watu wasiokua na hatia na serikali haifanyi lolote
, kuna wakati jamaa za
kaskazini mwa Kenya walivamiwa na wa-Oromo na serikali haikufanya lolote,
bei ya unga wa ugali haishkiki na watu wanakuambia ni heri wale chapati!!!!
... orodha ni ndefu mno na wanahitaji sala!

huyu mnairobi vip?

wakenya noma

ha.. unaletea wakenya ushamba wako and what do you expect?? we will snob you like hell.. change is constant and you cant expect the Kenya of the seventies to be the Kenya we have now, things are different, we aint like you-we cant keep mark timing for years.. progress is a must.and just because people didnt want to talk to you doesnt make them bad, maybe they were in a rush and you are a slow speaker with your 'naomba unionyeshe' swahili.. we simply dont have that much time to waste.we have a nation to build.

Baada ya kusoma comments hapo juu imenibidi niongee. Hivi tukiweka comments in this forum, r they meant to build a wall btn Kenyans n Tanzanians or r they meant to make us work together in trying to solve our humungous problems.
Both countries are way below the poverty line, we generally have similar problems much as they differ in some instances. Pertaining to this, i don't think any of us is acting civilized when we keep on throwing words at each other. We all need each other in order to develop our nations. If you look at all the successful nations, they got where they are cause of the strong unity they have; just look at the United states, the EU countries, China that's coming up.
African countries are the least developed countries in this world yet we are the first to quarrel over insignificant things! Don't you think if we spent more time learning about each others problems and thus coming up with real solutions to curb these, we'll help each other develop effectively!
I would appreciate seeing more comments that are not meant to cause rivarly beween us rather unity in solving Africa's great problems. People, WAKE UP, time is rushing! We need more visionary people like Nkrumah, Nyerere n Mandela when hey said at the first ever AU summit; "AFRICA MUST UNITE!" IF WE'RE REALLY TO GET RID OF OUR PROBLEMS. If we don't focus on the bigger picture and work together now, kenya, Tanzania and Africa as a whole will not develop!

Peace my brothers n sisters!!

Aspirin ma brother,
You simply cant sell the idea of EAC in this forum.. you will be persecuted for even letting the thought slip out of your mind.
I co-sign with everything you have said there, but who will back you...just check on the thread which was proposing that Tz and kenya be united, you will learn alot about people's perception against our b'full country Kenya.

ha.. unaletea wakenya ushamba wako and what do you expect?? we will snob you like hell.. change is constant and you cant expect the Kenya of the seventies to be the Kenya we have now, things are different, we aint like you-we cant keep mark timing for years.. progress is a must.and just because people didnt want to talk to you doesnt make them bad, maybe they were in a rush and you are a slow speaker with your 'naomba unionyeshe' swahili.. we simply dont have that much time to waste.we have a nation to build.

rush ya wapi? hawakuwa na haraka wala nin. of course walikuwa wamevaa suti. na walikuwa wanaelekea nilikokua naelekea

hata wazungu tunaokopi kila kitu kutoka kwao wanauliza. wao hawajui kuuliza ni vibaya watu wana haraka ya kwenda kujenga nchi? ndivyo waafrika wa kenya walivyo? hapa bongo sivyo. let u come and learn. mmeiga wazungu mpaka mmepitiliza. du

huenda jamaa walikuwa wanafikiria njaa vijijin wanakotoka au bei ya misosi iliwafanya wasiache hela ya kutosha hom na hivyo ni mihasira na kila akutanae nae

Back
Top Bottom